2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II Consumer Reviews

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (3 reviews )
Steer Clear of this Vehicle
By martin303 on 12/31/14 01:54 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Overall, this purchase was the worst decision of my life. Bought this car for ecological work and needed towing capacity. After 3 years, I have never used this vehicle for it's intended purpose. Before I drove it home the first time the water pump went out. The second time the drive shaft fell off. Apparently, this is 'common' on LR. Everything has unusual engineering making repairs both extensive and extremely expensive. Tires are even outrageous. Though I validated this vehicle had a newer engine in it, virtually everything else has fallen apart. HORRIBLE mileage. Only put about 10K miles on it due to issues. Drove my Ford Explorer about 40K / yr for work...

A Matter of Perspective
By tannert on 07/11/14 20:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Our 2000 Discovery was purchased used from a man who did not take good car of it, and was not truthful of it's previous life, so it's been rough going. Nice easy to clean leather with comfortable seats. The second row is nice. You can carry adults, but not fitting for long car rides. and their knees will be rubbing a little bit. The third row can seat children.

Here's Hopeing
By qwackhead on 01/19/14 13:26 PM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I've actually got one of these and have done so quite recently as I had traded a car which were surplus to my needs plus cash for something more practable as well as to tow my boat in future one I have finished on some current out of water maintanace The nievaty of such of deal to begin with was one that included approximately a 1500 km round road trip just to aquire as I live in New Zealand and drove from Auckland to Wellington and Back and done so with in 24hrs Being a V8 in comparision to the V6 Diamante© sedan I had traded the previously anticipated gas mileage were up there unlike the performance of the engine itself which we're an embarresment to say the least to be even called such.

Like nothing else, blows asian and domestic cars away
By mwahlgren7 on 08/11/12 22:42 PM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

People will claim that the discovery was the worst car ever because a light came on the dashboard, or that brakes had to be replaced. Many of the things that could go wrong with a discovery have to do with the driver's negligence or driving style. I have taken care of my disco and she has taken care of me. Driving position and view like no other vehicle, fantastic in the snow, and looks good to boot. Dual sunroofs still entertain me to this day and the sound system is really nice. Aside from a plastic t piece in the cooling system braking, nothing has gone wrong. Feels utterly solid when driving, very heavy and reassuring. Makes my dad's tacoma feel like a dishwasher.

Eat Sleep Rover
By Best4x4xFar on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I got my rover from my parents as my first car. When we first got it we had several repairs that would require fixing. Lucky we were part of a Land Rover Club (which I recommend for all Land Rover owners to find) so we got the parts cheaper and installed by members for no charge. So all I can say is just be ready to work on the Disco if you get one but it is worth it.

A real SUV, not a metro...
By Jindodog on 04/25/10 19:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned 5 rovers now over the last 15 years, a Land Rover first, a series II, a Discovery, a Land Rover Contry and now this Discovery II. Mind you my first car was a Triumph TR6 back in 1977, so I "get" the British car thing. That being said, compaired to a boat, these Rovers are great. With an ocean going boat (long range, non coastal) you expect to have "issues". But you also expect it to be well found and basicly capable of what it was intended to do. That is what Rovers are all about. Expect persnickty problems but know that you are driving a world class very capable machine. This car can bail you out of many tough conditions, they truly are amazing in their capabilities!

Avoid at all costs
By John_Galt on 03/22/10 11:08 AM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I've spent much more than this car is worth in the last 2 years. Sensors that don't fix the issues with a dealer that doesn't have a clue, gaskets, oil leaks, stereo, and other glitches too numerous to mention.

I LOVE my Disco!
By DiscoDude84 on 02/02/10 14:34 PM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

I have had this vehicle for 5 months now, and it has been nothing but a joy! Fits me perfectly, very reliable, interior design is amazing, can fit plenty of stuff into the cargo area. Plenty of head/leg room. Recently replaced head gaskets for preventative maintenance. Replaced U-joint as it was going bad, and spark plugs, and thats about it. Wonderful in snow and ice, actually have taken to helping tow other people out of ditches! As long as the Disco is maintained properly and synthetic oil and premium gasoline is used its an amazing SUV. Dual sunroofs are an added bonus. Wouldn't trade it for the world!

**TAKE MY ADVICE: DO NOT BUY**
By CWALL on 01/13/10 17:17 PM (PST)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

absolutely horrible car! very unreliable. Bought it off a guy 5 months ago and now everything went wrong with it. The radiator blew which lead to waaay more problems. Total cost of repairs cost more then the car is worth. It is horrible, I mean HORRIBLE on gas! I barely drive 8 miles to work and I have to put gas in it everytime. Please don't make the mistake I made and buy one! Land Rover stinks!

What a tragedy...
By twelveboy on 04/06/09 21:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4dr SUV AWD

Well where should I start... I bought the Land Rover at 85K miles, drove it to about 110K miles and then decided to trade it in after about $6000 of repairs to the hydraulic shocks, and other things I cannot remember due to the horrible memories being blocked from my memory that are just too painful to think about. The car was tremendous fun for off roading, but please do not buy unless you work in the medical field or a CEO.