2017 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

From Prius to Sportage love it
By RepSoccrMom

2017 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love this car. It's quiet and really comfortable. Im getting roughly 28 mpg driving in Eco mode with relatively fast acceleration. It feels luxurious.

And The Winner Is
By Gary

2017 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I’m going into week three with my 2017 Sportage EX with AWD and the EX Premium Package and just enjoy the heck out of it. I had crossed shopped the Kia with the Honda CRV and Mazda CX5. Other then gas mileage, the CRV is lacking in every category from ride quality, to handling, to quiet on the road, to the electronics and design language. In terms of design, Honda’s approach is to add 4 pieces of fake chrome and call it a mid cycle refresh. I happen to have had a 2016 CRV rental for 10 days and found the CVT yet another Honda attempt to convince us that it was worth sacrificing any pleasure at all in the driving experience for gas mileage and it just ain’t so. I’m a 6 time Honda owner including 3 CRVs and if the Kia delivers on the reliability I’m hoping for, those will probably be my last Hondas.
The Mazda CX5 Touring with AWD was seemingly a less expensive and attractive alternative to the Kia in spite of it being 4-year-old technology, at least until you go just a bit under the skin. Check out the 61 complaints on the NHSTA website for the 2016 CX5, most of which focus on catastrophic failures of the transmission. In fact, look at blogs across the world including New Zealand and Australia, it's a worldwide problem. And borrowing right from the movie Fight Club, the Old GM Handbook and Ford Pinto Directives, Mazda has taken the position that its cheaper to put their CX5 customers in harms way then to retool and fix the problem. All a Mazda Representative could say about the transmission failures was: the problem usually doesn’t happen twice to the same person. If that wasn’t enough to discourage me, there are the strange interior ergonomics of the vehicle with the cup holder placement too far back and thus impossible to use for your GPS, the poor rearward visibility and the location of the armrest.
The Sportage reminds me in a general way of the Audi Q5. It drives and feels planted like a German car. When you close the doors it sounds like a German car. Its nice to know that Peter Schreyer and the engineers he works with instilled more then a look into the vehicle. All the electronics and infotainment work well and are user friendly. The back up camera, rear traffic avoidance and blind spot monitoring are great. Sound quality on the radio us better then expected. Rearward visibility is excellent. At least on paper, the Magna AWD system with locking differential is probably the most sophisticated and capable on the market other then the Quattro and Subaru systems.
So all in and all, I’m very pleased with the vehicle and enjoy driving it.

My new Kia is better than the last
By Lynne Pizette

2017 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 2017 Kia EX Sportage AWD is the sportiest SUV around. Really like the way it looks. I've owned the car less than 2 weeks so I'm still learning it, but so far it's great! I owned the Sorento previously, never liked it and never thought I'd get another Kia, but after researching and testing multiple vehicles I liked this best and the price was right.

Better mileage than EPA DATA
By Jim V

2017 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Took delivery of my 2017 Sportage SX just before the Labor Day weekend and had the opportunity to drive it on 2 trips. The first was a 300 mile round trip, 90% rural highway, speed range between 50 and 65 mph. Result: 28 mpg. The 2nd trip was shorter, approximately 100 miles, 90% highway 60-75 mph. Result: 26 mpg. Both trips had AC on and was in "Eco" mode. The car and driving experience? Wonderful!

Excellent inside and out!
By Dan K.

2017 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The first time I climbed in this car it reminded me of my early 2000's Audi A6 because of the layout of the dash, the shape and comfort of the seats, and the premium feel of the leather seats and steering wheel. However, when I fired it up and drove it around the block, it felt much more planted than said Audi. I have nothing but great things to say about this car! Peter Schreyer did an incredible job designing the interior of the car to make it feel like a much more expensive European SUV, and the exterior resembles the latest offerings in the category from Porsche and Audi, from the glossy black plastic fascia and foglight surroundings, to the excellent LED surrounded projectors and sexy body contours. The climate control is fantastic, and the screen is great. The front and rear seats are great, and the rears even recline for extra comfort. There are a million airbags, and nothing rattles at all. Acceleration is what is to be expected from a heavy 4-cylinder SUV, but the 6 speed auto keeps it in the rev range that maximizes torque and passing power when needed. My wife is 7 months pregnant, and I feel very comfortable knowing she's in this car when she has to go out. Fuel economy is what was to be expected, though it is probably the cars worst aspect. I average about 22MPG combined, but the car only has 2,100 miles on it, so it'll work in a bit and probably increase, but it is what was advertised so I can't complain.