Good Build, Poor MPG
By smealio on
2013 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)
I hope anyone considering this car takes 3 minutes to read this. I traded in a 2005 honda pilot that was literally running on dollar bills for this 2013 Sportage EX on both the sticker and dealership's notion that the MPG rating was true to form in our terrain. A week into ownership I was only logging 18mpg on hwy. I called it in and they said let it break in at 5k miles. I continued to log complaints to be heard and at 5k miles on my 50 mile, 80% hwy 20% rural (Pennsylvania) commute i logged 19mpg. I did a controlled fuel test with the same result. Kia issued their mpg program but it's pennies. This is a terrible vehicle performance wise and is extremely overrated...take heed.
Favorite Features
UVO is pretty awesome though a little buggy. Exterior design is great. Fun to drive, but very frustrating to own.
Suggested Improvements
MPG is absolutely overrated by AT LEAST 5 mpg. Either test the car in all conditions before publishing rating or take into consideration. Most buyers look to MPG first in this economy and it's a terrible practice to overstate MPG to attract buyers. Performance, performance, performance....leaves much to be desired. Their 5 year warranty makes a statement about their quality i have come to determine. It's a bit uncomfortable and storage and drive space is tight. There are many other cars out there that fit the bill if you are looking for a efficient crossover. Not economical in the least bit.
By cgavula
on 06/11/13 21:03 PM (PDT)

Odd, I'm getting about 28-29 on the highway in my EX and may 22-23 in the city.