Used 2013 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2013 Kia Sportage SUV

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Fun driving but seats are awful
By latteaddict

2013 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I waited for about a month to pass so I can review it better. We tried Ford Escape, Mitsubishi Outlander, Subaru CrossTrek - and finally given Sportage a shot since they updated their MPG ratings. (FYI, Kia has been sued and EPA made them update their MPG on the stickers.) Styling is great; it's designed by Peter Schreyer, brains behind Audi fame. I owned Audi and I find lot of cosmetic similarities. Performance is acceptable, does well in corners. No interior noise, like in some other 20K cars. I'm getting average 26MPG, with mindful driving. Only thing that peeves me so far is the interior seats are SPARTAN!!l i hate bucket seats period, but these are very firm and uncomfortable.

Favorite Features

exterior styling, driving dynamics, MPG is ok (regular gas), form factor (small when you need to park, but has plenty of space in the back if you need it)

Suggested Improvements

Please please please update the interior seats!!! I'm seriously considering replacing these. We just spent 600miles driving and I was literally in pain in the shoulder area. and no, this was never the case in my MDX.

Good Build, Poor MPG
By smealio

2013 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I hope anyone considering this car takes 3 minutes to read this. I traded in a 2005 honda pilot that was literally running on dollar bills for this 2013 Sportage EX on both the sticker and dealership's notion that the MPG rating was true to form in our terrain. A week into ownership I was only logging 18mpg on hwy. I called it in and they said let it break in at 5k miles. I continued to log complaints to be heard and at 5k miles on my 50 mile, 80% hwy 20% rural (Pennsylvania) commute i logged 19mpg. I did a controlled fuel test with the same result. Kia issued their mpg program but it's pennies. This is a terrible vehicle performance wise and is extremely overrated...take heed.

Favorite Features

UVO is pretty awesome though a little buggy. Exterior design is great. Fun to drive, but very frustrating to own.

Suggested Improvements

MPG is absolutely overrated by AT LEAST 5 mpg. Either test the car in all conditions before publishing rating or take into consideration. Most buyers look to MPG first in this economy and it's a terrible practice to overstate MPG to attract buyers. Performance, performance, performance....leaves much to be desired. Their 5 year warranty makes a statement about their quality i have come to determine. It's a bit uncomfortable and storage and drive space is tight. There are many other cars out there that fit the bill if you are looking for a efficient crossover. Not economical in the least bit.

2013 Kia Sportage
By darda71

2013 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great looking suv, great options standard..Remote start from factoring was a nice surprise, The UVO system is a nice feature, Ride is a little stiff but not horrible, but cornering is excellent.

Favorite Features

Remote start, awd, UVO

Suggested Improvements

Softer Ride

Fun Family Car
By busyvegetarian

2013 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

All in all, a fun family car. Looks very cool for a mom lots of room for the family safe handles well smooth ride reliable and economical

Favorite Features

Love the dual moonroofs, make it seem even more roomy. Navigation system worked great Sirrius in Dash A/C and Heated Seat

Suggested Improvements

Possibly slight bit more trunk room. We had baggage for 4 and filled it up quickly.

Worse vehicle ever purchased so I traded it in
By applegator

2013 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The vehicle did not get stated MPG. 1 week after I bought my Kia I learned Kia/Hyundai had overstated the MPG on several models and the Sportage was 1 of them. I also learned in 2002 Kia/Hyundai had a class action lawsuit against them 4 overstating horsepower on several of their vehicles which eroded my confidence in Kia. I read numerous reviews of buyers complaining their warranty was not honored so I decided all things considered Kia was not a manufacturer I felt I could trust. What good is a great warranty if a buyer cannot be sure it will be honored? Seats uncomfortable, ride bumpy, poor visibility out rear, poor mileage so I traded it in 4 a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Pretty to look at, panoramic sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Better visability out rear, make leather seats more comfortable, make ride less bumpy, improve gas mileage, honor warranty. Be honest with consumers to improve Kia's image and consumer confidence.