Used 2013 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2013 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Good and bad
By sporty74

2013 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I like the styling inside and out. Seats are comfy on long trips. Getting better gas mileage than advertised. AWD is great. But, suspension is really bad. I have to avoid potholes and minor bumps so I do not cringe at the noise. Can feel every bump through the steering wheel. Interior road noise is very high. The gas engine sounds like a diesel at idle. Not sure if I would buy another one, unless they made major improvements in the new models.

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior styling. Lots of room for camping equipment and bikes in the back. Good headroom. Good in the corners.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension. Larger rear window.

KIA means Killed in Action
By gj8

2013 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The 2013 was recalled for the FCV. The new software upload killed the performance of my vehicle. My son, who's built turbo's since 1995 says this:This new Software seems to keep the turbo’s waste gate open too much during Wide Open Throttle causing the turbo not to “Spool Up” all the way resulting in boost loss, and obviously power loss. My question is, why update the software, instead of replacing a potentially faulty part that part being the FCV or Fuel Control Valve? Oh yeah, it’s cheaper than re-engineering of the faulty FCV, and replacing it with one that does not have a design flaw, better and even more expensive is, why not replace it with a tried and true fuel pressure regulator.

Favorite Features

I used to love the way this car drove. But then I learned that the turbo is located near the firewall and placed on the back side of the engine. If the pressurized part & the axial lode of the turbo fails, and is spinning at an average of 150,000, this can act like a Grenade under the hood throwing shrapnel everywhere, possibly causing both driver and passenger injury or death, as the force of pieces of hot steel and aluminum from the axial load, plus the inertia of rotating blades at 150,000 rpm would penetrate through the firewall.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the FCV with one that does not have a design flaw. Or, better and even more costly why not replace it with a tried and true fuel pressure regulator.

not sure about this car
By vk2193

2013 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

terrrible mileage i have 2.0 turbo sportage. i only have 600km on it but the fuel consumption is huge, around 13 Liters per 100 km (around 18mpg). It says on the manual that there is a break in period of 5000 km, but i have big doubts that the fuel economy will improve. not sure if i recommend this car to anyone

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy

I would buy it all over again
By brookea

2013 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Kia has a great warranty first and foremost. This car is stylish and convenient. For being an SUV it can make pretty sharp turns. It is spacious yet not monstrous. I am averaging about 27-29 highway and 22-23 in the city. I like the convenience of there being AC vents in the middle around the knee area so the back seat stays cool as well. It gets up and goes yet runs very quietly and smooth.

Favorite Features

I love how spacious the kia sportage is for being a smaller SUV there is still plenty of leg room. I really like the appearance from the outside as well as the inside. From the sporty look on the outside to the cup holders that light up at night.

Suggested Improvements

Stop letting so many haters buy these cars. ;]

Fun driving but seats are awful
By latteaddict

2013 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I waited for about a month to pass so I can review it better. We tried Ford Escape, Mitsubishi Outlander, Subaru CrossTrek - and finally given Sportage a shot since they updated their MPG ratings. (FYI, Kia has been sued and EPA made them update their MPG on the stickers.) Styling is great; it's designed by Peter Schreyer, brains behind Audi fame. I owned Audi and I find lot of cosmetic similarities. Performance is acceptable, does well in corners. No interior noise, like in some other 20K cars. I'm getting average 26MPG, with mindful driving. Only thing that peeves me so far is the interior seats are SPARTAN!!l i hate bucket seats period, but these are very firm and uncomfortable.

Favorite Features

exterior styling, driving dynamics, MPG is ok (regular gas), form factor (small when you need to park, but has plenty of space in the back if you need it)

Suggested Improvements

Please please please update the interior seats!!! I'm seriously considering replacing these. We just spent 600miles driving and I was literally in pain in the shoulder area. and no, this was never the case in my MDX.