Love my 2012 Kia Sportage BUT Where's The Rattle?
By jponder on
2012 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
I never thought I'd own anything but a Ford or Chevy but the Sportage caught my eye. I test drove several and decided a White LX AWD with the Convenience Package was perfect for me! I now have 5800 miles on it and I love it BUT I have this annoying little rattle that's driving me insane. It sounds like it's around the lower part of the windshield/dash area. I've now had it to the dealership 3 different times, an hour and fifteen minute drive one way, and they can't find it! It doesn't do it until I reach 60mph and then it's non stop. Has anyone else had this issue?
Favorite Features
Perfect size, it's fun to drive, gets good gas mileage, easy to wash, great price with a great warranty.
Suggested Improvements
Keypad for keyless entry.
By 81l81vette
on 04/08/12 01:06 AM (PDT)

I just purchased a new sx turbo, and having same rattle> I tracked in down its the mirrors if you fold them in they wont rattle. I cant figure out a way to fix the problen aside from gluing them fixed. the rattle gets really bad over 100mph.

By jponder
on 03/27/12 19:11 PM (PDT)

lpeabody--Congratulations! It's an awesome car! My passengers would also hear my rattle. My husband and I just knew it was around the windshield area. I still can't believe after five trips to the dealership, this awesome service tech found it. I would never have looked near the inner fenderwells but that was it! I now get in every day and am so excited that the rattle is gone. The foam insulation wedges he glued in are still in place and I love my car even more! Hope this will fix the issue for you as well.

By mattitude
on 02/13/12 09:23 AM (PST)

2000 miles in - do not have this rattle. Just drove highway for 40 minutes this weekend, hitting 90 at one (short) point. Hope your issue gets resolved.

By lpeabody
on 03/19/12 10:33 AM (PDT)

JPONDER -- I drove my new sportage from Atlanta to Savannah and back this weekend and you're right... I LOVE IT!! The size couldn't be any more perfect and the drive was great. This was my first car purchase so I was so anxious that I was not going to pick the right car. There is no question that this was the right choice.. I look forward to climbing in every day :) This weekend when I got onto the highway tho, I too heard a very slight but fast rattle coming from the passenger side (seemingly windshield area).. My passenger actually heard it and pointed it out, so I'll have to see if it is the flaps as well. Thank you for your reply back.

By kiaaus
on 04/03/12 16:39 PM (PDT)

Hi jponder. I live in Australia and picked up my new Sportage 2.4l petrol a month ago. I am having an issue when I accelerate, I hear a rattling noise. It seems to be on the drivers side - I think the engine bay. Was this the same sort of issue you had? I am taking it back to the dealership in a week and am hoping it won't be like finding a needle in a haystack.

By jponder
on 04/08/12 18:18 PM (PDT)

kiaaus & 8181vette: Mine was rattling when I got up to 60mph. It sounded as if it was across the bottom of the windshield. It was the inner fender wells. The covers are made in two pieces and the air was coming through them. After they put the insulation wedges in to tighten them, I've not heard the rattle any more. Hope you are able to resolve your issues soon!

By lpeabody
on 03/15/12 10:59 AM (PDT)

I just bought a Kia sportage last night (also did not think I'd ever own one!) I'm picking it up today so I've not even had the chance to drive it!! However, my mom has a Ford Expedition -- she too had a rattle in the dash/windshield area that drove me crazy when I drove it on trips (always happened on the interstate at higher speeds). After a little detective work I found that a piece of the plastic that covers the area between the metal hood and the windshield was loose! So at higher speeds, it would flap up and down and create a rattling noise! But you could not see it because it laid flat at the edge where the hood and windshild/wipers met!! Look around that area :) I hope it is something similar and is a simple fix for you :) Cant wait to pick up my kia!!

By jponder
on 03/16/12 19:15 PM (PDT)

Thank you for the feedback. I think they finally figured it out today. The fenderwells did not seem to be tight. We hadn't looked there because it sounds like it's around the windshield/dash area but the tech that rode with me today picked up on this. He thinks it takes the speed to make the loose fenderwells flap. They put some insulation in them so on the way home it was quite. I have my fingers crossed! lpeabody you will love driving your sportage. They are fun to drive and just the right size! I've not talked to anyone else that has had my issue so hopefully yours will not either. I will keep your advice in mind...if the rattle comes back I'll keep looking around the windshield area. :)