2012 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Fun with Turbo
By christophg on 07/25/12 11:52 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. The car is actually faster then I expected. The Turbo must work wonders with the little 2.0 liter. Even at 80 MPH, it still has some room to go. I have the Navigation option which I think is overpriced & would probably be better off with just using my iPhone. Fuel economy is not as good as I expected but it never is & I drive it pretty aggressively. It seems to have more road noise than some of its competitors & this was supposed to be improved on this model year.

Fun to drive vehicle with it's quriks.
By mjonm on 05/29/12 23:17 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Fun to drive SUV. We replaced a 2006 Nissan Murano that was a gas hog,and was falling apart and this is a much better SUV. The Nissan rogue we test drove was a piece of crap,and the visibility was horrible and the CRV? garbage,RAV 4? ugly. The Sportage offers alot of excellent standard features over those other models. The only downsize is the hard plastic interior that easily scratches even if you breathe on it. Kia should improve it and make the interior better quality and durable with softer touch materials and padding.

Just plain fun to drive
By bearow on 05/14/12 22:06 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

It is just "plain fun" to drive my 2012 Kia Sportage. I've had it for about 2 months and have enjoyed everything about it, including the gas mileage (avg = 26, interstate = 29). I will always love and keep my GMC Z71 for the heavy work, but at 13 mpg it had to move over for the Sportage for day-to-day driving. I like the way the Sportage holds the road, feels "in-control" & a little sporty. I've tried the all-wheel-drive out on our Florida beach sand and it performed well (I don't recommend going 4-wheeling in the mud, but you can take it off the Hwy for normal activities without worry of getting stuck). Great value for the dollar - it's a solid & fun ride!

Nice car, shame about the ride.
By bbillyo on 04/12/12 20:59 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I like the Sportage. It looks good, is well built and the engine seems good. Fuel economy is very good if you are light footed. I get 33mpg at 65mph on the free way and about 24mpg on the school run. I want to love it but it's just too hard a ride especially on New England's appalling roads. I come from a relatively poor European country and the roads were nothing like these. A pothole was a rarity that you would call the police about! You feel every bump and road seam. Road noise is also a problem - a lot louder than my old 2005 Sportage EX. Handling is very good for a SUV. Steering is a bit weird -the self centering is very biased to the center which causes a torque drag on the wheel.

smooth sportage
By clive480 on 04/08/12 17:30 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

go for the auto, super smooth changes and you get the ECO mode. got rid of the jeep liberty (20 mpg)and now average just under 40. good interior space. i'm 6' and can easily fit behind the drivers seat when its in its position for me. wider than the previous model and so quiet. would recommend a test drive to anyone

Great Value, Features, & Style
By cmont120 on 03/06/12 23:47 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After researching for the past year I finally leased the Sportage. I used to say that I would never own a Kia but now I am proud to say that I do! I turned in a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe and have to say that the Kia blows the Honda out of the water. The style inside and out is very nice and the features are great. Love this car so much I have convinced my family to join the Hyundai/Kia family too!

Love my 2012 Kia Sportage BUT Where's The Rattle?
By jponder on 02/07/12 16:49 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I never thought I'd own anything but a Ford or Chevy but the Sportage caught my eye. I test drove several and decided a White LX AWD with the Convenience Package was perfect for me! I now have 5800 miles on it and I love it BUT I have this annoying little rattle that's driving me insane. It sounds like it's around the lower part of the windshield/dash area. I've now had it to the dealership 3 different times, an hour and fifteen minute drive one way, and they can't find it! It doesn't do it until I reach 60mph and then it's non stop. Has anyone else had this issue?

BUILT SOLID & FUN TO DRIVE
By alikcee on 01/08/12 13:34 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My first foreigners car..I exchange my Ford explorer V8 to this Brand new Sportage 2012 in Signal Red..I really liked it. I thought I am down grading my car to 4cylender car but not. I can't feel the difference. While I am going up a stiff hill I thought this car will give up on me. This baby went up up up up zoommmmm...Very cool . Very quality , firmed , the audio package wow wow wow..I didn't regret to buy this suv , paid in cash too.. When I am driving, I got so much attention .:) Love my Brand new sportage . I am not going to the pump very often like my v8 ford explorer..I love american made cars but I want to give this a try...Glad I did...No regrets..

800 miles and a cross-Florida trip in, great car
By mattitude on 12/27/11 06:07 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Picked up a Signal Red Sportage SX w/ premium package 5 days ago, and the next day took it on a 450 mile trip for the holidays. Vehicle is great overall. We cross-shopped the SX with every single competitor, and found this to be the best value and most exciting vehicle. The second choice would have been a RAv4 but it was exceedingly boring. We're big fans of the UVO system. I had read complaints about system speed on 2011 models - I'm not sure if they updated the hardware, software, or both, but in our experience so far it's been very speedy. Bluetooth works wonderfully and the radio does everything we want it to. Out of space but word of advice - don't get the NAV, stick with the UVO base.

Very Impressed
By stevejs on 12/09/11 15:41 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I was looking for a car whose main purpose would be my long work commute. After viewing a dozen choices, I chose the Sportage. From the moment I began to drive it for the test drive, Kia's past advertising slogan "the power to surprise" entered my mind. The 6 speed automatic had plenty of pep from 0-40 which takes care of most starts. The interior was spacious and the rear seats folded easily for added room. The UVO system provides great flexibility and the bluetooth connection is very clear and easy to use. The 2.4 engine pulled well and the added noise insulation for 2012 makes the car quite even at highway speeds. for the price, this is a great value.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Sportage in VA is:

$120 per month*