Used 2012 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Who's a thunk it!
By apol732

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I saw the design change for 2011, and waited. 2012, read reviews, test drove it and a few others, and decided to buy.
A year and a half, 31000 miles and no issues what so ever.
I've driven it from El Paso, TX to Jacksonville, FL four times. This is my first new car, i absolutely love it. i took alot of heat for buying a KIA, even I had my doubts, but I do not regret it one bit.

The design, decent power, good handling.

6 speed MANUAL!! on all models!!!!

Dash Glare Unacceptable!
By ivor6244

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Overall quiet, competent and pretty comfortable ergonomics-wise, although underpowered on hilly terrain.

Fuel mileage is respectable for a vehicle this size, with 24-28 mpg normal unless one is always having the auto trans downshift to maintain vehicle speed while going up an incline.

Kia does not seem to sweat the design details. The dashboard reflection on the windshield just ahead of the driver is completely unacceptable, due to that silver-colored "shoe shape" just above the instrument binnacle. Note to prospective buyers: test drive this vehicle on a sunny day! The glare is downright dangerous. My other gripe is less easily fixed and seen on many newer vehicles: the uncomfortably high door sills all around, and gunslit rear window sightlines.

LOVE THIS even after a YEAR!!!!
By julie46

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Waited a year and 16,000 miles to review. I love it just as much as when i bought it!! Fun to drive. I get good mpg. Depending on the gas and time of the year Ive gotton from23-33 mpg. Plenty of get up and go. Roomy back seat for 3 normal size people. Totally cool looking, my friend liked mine so much she bought one just like it. did good in snow, but dont get much snow so not alot of experience in it. The only small complaint is the blue tooth voice isnt as accurate as Id like. Would buy again and recommend again!
Ps nice solid feel.

Looks, interior design, gas mileage. Fits me well..5 foot 2 and my 6 foot husband.

blue tooth voice commands more accurate.

1 year in
By daw3

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Well it's been 1 year since taking owenership of the Sportage and I will admit no issues, except fuel ratings, lack of power for passing. Overall I'm staisfied with the car, but again I feel somethings are lacking. I've been reading all the reviews from owners and I must agree with some, but for the money where are you going to get such a fun car to drive. Honda, Toyota, Subrau are all over priced with the standard equipment you get with the Sportage. I'm retired now but there was just something about the car, and I wasn't ready for a cookie cutter Nissan or Buick. I purchase a flat black mat for the dashboard since there really is a bad glare from the sun that just hits you right in the eye

Ease of driving, not too fuel eco, nothing like the sticker said. Good forward vision. and very easy to read and reach controls. Where else are going to get bluetooth connection as base issue. Driver's seat is comfortable not great, but ohkay. Again no real issues with the car.

Better interior hard plastic and monotone color boring. Better rear visability, C post really makes for a bad blind sport. Side mirros are poor can't really judge well and I use them more then the interior mirror that I think is set too low to see out the back. I looked at other sportages and they all seem to be the same. I'm guessing they were set for small people. Sorry about that just my thoughts. I'm not very happy about the fuel mileage got better with the Subrau.

Good Car
By rykdo

2012 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Good basic car with excellent syling.
Real 25 MPG on the highway.
Has everything you want and lots less expensive than non-Kia.

The not-so wonderful is that two adults with golf clubs, luggage for 10 days, and a dog in a crate was crowded.
Also the steering is very quick which is nice around town but wears on you after the first 500-1000 miles on a trip.
I do not relax on the highway.
This is not a road racer.
The 4 cylinder works fine and has enough to get you on the freeway without issue but the whine of the engine lets you know it.

Styling is the best thing about this car. Everything else is good or better. Some just good within the context of what it is....an inexpensive really small SUV that can get you there and back. As long as you consider this within what it is supposed to be and don't compare it to a BMW or Lexus, the car is really good. This is not a sports car. Don't expect it to perform like one. Its on par with my old Civic, except for the gas mileage and it really does look good. I'm very much impressed with the door fit and the ease of folding the seats.

I may replace the sterio speakers. Wish I had the upgrade. There is an "almost" blind spot you have to check to make sure you don't change lanes into someone. But that is resolved by "looking" really good and not just glancing in the mirrors. Giving it more power would require a handling refit. Everything works well together as is. I will take our other car on road trips over 200 miles.