2012 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Little Quirks
By mycar34 on 11/25/12 05:51 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After reading several of the reviews I had to commit on several of your issues ... I am unable to clean the windshield/dash to stop the reflecting. On sunny days it's dangerous. I have tried several high end windshield cleaners and nothing has helped. Unexplained noise ... It's been driving me nuts since I bought the vehicle. It rattles even the slightest bump in the road. I think, I figured it out. The glove box rattles. I used some heavy paper and jammed it in and it helps. The interior ... It scratches terrible. Anything leaves a mark! I dread the reduced trade in value due to scratches.

my 2012 Kia Sportage
By jeno555 on 10/02/12 08:23 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a 2012 Kia Sportage when they first came out, it had Nav, heated heats, backup, AC on drivers seat, sunroof everything I could get, I loved the car, great to drive, as long as I was the driver, the passenger seat was to low, and not much padding in the seats, not a smooth ride at all, I talked to a tire dealer about changing the tires to Michelin tires and he said he didn't think it would help the ride much, the passenger seat needs to be a power seat like the driver seat, add more padding to the seats and get rid of those stiff tires, it had great power and a fast start up, but the seats were not comfortable on trips, I traded it last week for a Chevrolet Equinox.

Lemon, and Kia blames me?
By metrogtiguy on 09/06/12 10:17 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this as an upgrade to my 2011 Sportage LX. The LX's 2.4L engine wasn't quite up to the task of pulling my 1,155lb camper. It would struggle up hills while the A/C was running. I figured I would get the 260hp turbo one, and alleviate that issue. Well, I was VERY wrong. @3,00 miles - detonation sounds in engine. Dealer told me it was normal @5,500 miles - Total spark plug destruction while towing 1,700lb trailer @6,500 miles - Again, spark plug failure, and hole in cylinder #3 while towing 1,155lb trailer. Kia blames overloading, yet the car has a 2,000lb towing capacity. Had to file lawsuit, which is currently pending Kia's response.

20,000 Miles and Going
By buffalotom on 08/27/12 12:30 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have a 2012 SX, it's quick, but seats and handling have much room for improvement. I think the stock 18 inch tires have too high a side wall, tires bounce like a basket ball. Car now has 20K miles, the turbo is cutting in and out, usually upon motor start it sometimes doesn't work, and when restarted thereafter it works again. Shop (Robin w/Transitowne KIA in Buffalo NY Area) looked it over, says it's b/c I had it in FWD lock, which makes no sense. Since I've kept is out of FWD lock, still acting up. When the restart trick stops working I'll take it back in.

Good overall, but has visibility issues
By ehm1217 on 08/26/12 16:55 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned the 2012 Kia Sportage LX FWD for little over two months and about 2,500 miles. So far no mechanical complaints. Performance, ride and mileage is what was expected. Audio and Bluetooth functions work fine. My one complaint concerns reflective issues with the windshield. In direct light the dashboard reflects up into the windshield causing visibility issues. A cut out in the dash over the steering column reflects directly in the driver’s line of site. The reflection worsens in some lighting conditions but is pretty much always there – even on cloudy days. If I could get a clear view through the windshield I’d be totally satisfied.

2013 Kia Sportage AWD
By rottensox on 08/20/12 09:01 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In my earlier post I described the problem with the differential. The dealer replaced it with a unit from California. When they test drove it, it didn't sound right so they are now replacing that unit with a new unit from Washington. By the time they do that, they will have had the vehicle longer than I have. Anyone considering buying a new 2013 Sportage should get down and inspect the rear end for any signs of a fluid leak prior to purchasing it.

Fun Fun Fun
By gwengweed on 08/19/12 19:00 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am loving this car. I got the EX Turbo loaded up model and really enjoy it for hauling around my kids. It is sporty, has get up and go and is comfortable to drive. I am a short person and often struggle with some cars as I am hugging the steering wheel but not on this one. It is comfortable! I was looking for "a smaller SUV that is zippy and loaded" when I got my new car and it sure is all of the above. :) I had a Rav 4 prior that I also enjoyed, but this one really blows it out of the water for the price and what you get.

Kia Sportage KX-3 SatNav auto awd , poor fuel consumption
By pgw2811 on 08/16/12 23:44 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

July 2012 .. I have just returned a Kia Sportage KX-3 SatNav automatic awd 2 litre diesel after not being able to get more than 30mpg with it , driving it at 70mph and 2000 revs on a more less flat smooth road . Kia advertise 47.9 mpg extra urban with the car I had with the 18 inch wheels , obviously this figure would be at 60 mph , even at that speed I still only got a fraction over 30 mpg . With this I phoned Kia customer service and spoke to someone who said his name was J V or J G , after explaining everything , I have never had such a not interested attitude in my life after buying a £25000 vehicle . After saying , I would like to get an honest opinion please on a very poor fuel consumption that I am getting with the Kia Sportage that I have just paid £24,995 for and certainly not happy with the fuel consumption . All I got at the end was take it back to the Kia dealer ...I did that and got just the same not interested attitude , we are too busy to look at it , it will be 6 weeks before we can look at it , then send a technical report to Kia , then we maybe get the response back from them in a couple of weeks or so . With that , I had , had enough and quoted sale of goods act 1979 , that it does not do what you advertise and I want my car back that I traded in . Whether I got my car back because they had not sold it or because I quoted the sale of goods act or they were going to get more profit out of me , I don’t know which , but I was glad to get rid of that diesel guzzler . I certainly will not be buying anything with a Kia name on it again as there after sales customer interest is zero .

2013 Kia Sportage LX AWD
By rottensox on 08/16/12 08:07 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a brand new Sportage a few weeks ago. It had less than 400 miles on it from the dealer driving it from a different state. At 800 miles I noticed the rear differential leaking fluid. I took it back to the dealer and they are currently replacing the differential. I hope this doesn't represent the overall quality of the car as I paid over $20,000 for it.

Fun with Turbo
By christophg on 07/25/12 11:52 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. The car is actually faster then I expected. The Turbo must work wonders with the little 2.0 liter. Even at 80 MPH, it still has some room to go. I have the Navigation option which I think is overpriced & would probably be better off with just using my iPhone. Fuel economy is not as good as I expected but it never is & I drive it pretty aggressively. It seems to have more road noise than some of its competitors & this was supposed to be improved on this model year.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Sportage Suv in VA is:

$128 per month*