2012 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Still love it after 2 years!!
By julie46 on 04/14/14 16:05 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Tough, reliable, fun, great mileage, roomy. Have had people bang doors into us hard, no dents and a little rub and the mark came out. Ran over a piece of steel on I-5, thought itd rip its belly open. Nope just a little dent. Did great in the snow. Our tires have 33,000 miles and doing great!! My friend has a crv and their tires are wore out at 30,00. Fun to drive and cool looking..my friend bought one just like mine because i love it so. Keep up the good work Kia!1

Fix the defrosters
By buffalotom on 02/22/14 06:44 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Submitted review back on 08/27/12 12:30 PM which I still stick by. As for the turbo issue I was having it got fixed, pressure switch needed calibrated for the hot gas bypass, I've not had any issues since. Got 56,000 on the car now. At this car's price point, you won't find another SUV with this kind of power and gas mileage.

Disappointing bells & whistles; nice ride though
By freshlife51 on 07/08/13 12:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

1 year & over 18k miles into ownership of EX w/ AWD: paid the premium for navigation & phone handsfree; 6 wks after purchase it stopped uploading phone contacts (so now it's NOT "handsfree"); 9 months later it wiped out navigation address book for no apparent reason. Kia service claims compatibility issue w/world's most popular phone (iPhone)--but my hubby's 10 yr old Audi can link up to it! & they can't explain/fix the nav address book problem. Initial mpg was ABYSMAL, improved steadily after break-in period. Great on highway: smooth, firm ride, 26 mpg on a long trip @ consistent speeds; 17-19 mpg city. Feels unstable on curves at moderate speeds, like car's not heavy enough to grip road.

Who's a thunk it!
By apol732 on 06/04/13 09:45 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I saw the design change for 2011, and waited. 2012, read reviews, test drove it and a few others, and decided to buy. A year and a half, 31000 miles and no issues what so ever. I've driven it from El Paso, TX to Jacksonville, FL four times. This is my first new car, i absolutely love it. i took alot of heat for buying a KIA, even I had my doubts, but I do not regret it one bit.

Dash Glare Unacceptable!
By ivor6244 on 04/30/13 15:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Overall quiet, competent and pretty comfortable ergonomics-wise, although underpowered on hilly terrain.

LOVE THIS even after a YEAR!!!!
By julie46 on 02/20/13 16:19 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Waited a year and 16,000 miles to review. I love it just as much as when i bought it!! Fun to drive. I get good mpg. Depending on the gas and time of the year Ive gotton from23-33 mpg. Plenty of get up and go. Roomy back seat for 3 normal size people. Totally cool looking, my friend liked mine so much she bought one just like it. did good in snow, but dont get much snow so not alot of experience in it. The only small complaint is the blue tooth voice isnt as accurate as Id like. Would buy again and recommend again! Ps nice solid feel.

1 year in
By daw3 on 01/29/13 05:28 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Well it's been 1 year since taking owenership of the Sportage and I will admit no issues, except fuel ratings, lack of power for passing. Overall I'm staisfied with the car, but again I feel somethings are lacking. I've been reading all the reviews from owners and I must agree with some, but for the money where are you going to get such a fun car to drive. Honda, Toyota, Subrau are all over priced with the standard equipment you get with the Sportage. I'm retired now but there was just something about the car, and I wasn't ready for a cookie cutter Nissan or Buick. I purchase a flat black mat for the dashboard since there really is a bad glare from the sun that just hits you right in the eye

Good Car
By rykdo on 01/14/13 11:37 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Good basic car with excellent syling. Real 25 MPG on the highway. Has everything you want and lots less expensive than non-Kia. The not-so wonderful is that two adults with golf clubs, luggage for 10 days, and a dog in a crate was crowded. Also the steering is very quick which is nice around town but wears on you after the first 500-1000 miles on a trip. I do not relax on the highway. This is not a road racer. The 4 cylinder works fine and has enough to get you on the freeway without issue but the whine of the engine lets you know it.

Nice Car - POOR fuel economy not as advertised
By hellcat2000 on 01/10/13 21:33 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought a new 2012 Kia Sportage EX. Initially very pleased with the purchase. Rides ok, has nice features with the premium package to include the NAV system and backup camera. Tracked the MPG and started noticing poor fuel economy. Things haven't changed. Sticker stated 21/25/32 for city/combined/hwy. Real world achieve 25-26 highway, 16-17 city. Usually average 20-22. Consumer Reports fuel economy testing is spot on and exactly what I get, unfortunately didn't do my research. Bottom line, descent car for the price, pretty cool features and nice looking car. Reasons to stay away: No longer trust KIA due to false claims, and FUEL economy well below sticker claim.

Great first car
By doshcokyco on 01/10/13 11:51 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car a week ago. I love driving it. This was the first car I have purchased on my own and I am very proud that I did at the age I am. For parents looking for a safe/fun first car for their kids, check this out. It has that sport look with great gas millage and a great safety rating. Before this car I was driving a 15 year old Honda Civic. The civic was a 1.6L engine and this is a 2.4L. The improvements to engines with fuel efficiency is unbelievable.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Sportage Suv in VA is:

$120 per month*