2011 Kia Sportage Consumer Review: Wish I had waited

2011 Kia Sportage - Consumer Review

SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

Wish I had waited
By rmhpmi on

2011 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned my 2011 Sportage SX 2WD for just about two years now. While my wife uses the vehicle as her daily driver, I have had enough seat time to offer my opinions about this great looking but not-so-reliable little SUV. Sadly, the 2.0 liter turbocharged engine failed at about 9,000 miles and basically had to be replaced. We have had ongoing issues ever since, but nothing bad enough to be considered a "lemon" under NC law. I feel certain we will be trading the vehicle next year despite getting killed on depreciation. My KIA/Hyundai experiment is over. Japanese for me from now on.

Favorite Features

PROS: Decent overall fuel economy with a lifetime average of 24-25 MPG in mostly city driving. On highway trips we have no problem getting 28-29 MPG with the cruise set on 75. Overall we have been satisfied with the fuel mileage for the vehicle. Technology and comfort options on the vehicle are really one of the best selling points. Heated and cooled seats (driver only for cooled), back up camera, dual sunroofs, good navigation system, LED running lights are all appreciated. Styling of this vehicle is very attractive and a strong selling point for most KIA vehicles recently.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is not about having a 100K mile warranty. It is about not leaving me stranded on the side of the road. This vehicle has done that multiple times. Sorry KIA, but that is unacceptable no matter how good your warranty is. Ride is not comfortable in this vehicle on anything except glass-smooth roads. Wind/Road noise are higher than comfortable and the satellite radio is not worth the cost for me due to constantly dropped signals. Voice command recognition software needs improvement as it is very unreliable and difficult to use.