great looking, functional awd, a few drawbacks though.
By avidcarguy on
2011 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
The good: great looking eye catching vehicle. I have heard complaints about the interior hard plastics, but I think its all fine. I never would have thought about it had I not read it. Awd system works exceptionally, I live where it snows a lot and handling is great. The bad: road noise, punishing stiff suspension, at 30k miles dash fan squeaks, radio led flickers, tires wearing poorly, steering is atrocious on long straight stretches seems like a half inch dead spot on center, requiring constant minor correction. Design flaw causes debris kicked up by front tires to ding up lower rear door badly. I like the car a lot, especially for the price, but some design change needed.
Favorite Features
awd system, radio system is great, steering wheel and controls are excellent. External design is outstanding, internal also good. good brakes, storage tray under hatch area is useful. USB plug in and dual outlets helpful. Bluetooth is useful. rear seat room is good for kids and adults. handling is good low body roll but you pay for it with suspension. no backup camera, but the backup bee sensor works wonders. no camera needed. winter handling is great. fuel economy on highway up to 35 mpg.
Suggested Improvements
OEM tires will be dead by 35k miles. ride is too stiff, and I traded in a 07 Audi A4 for this which had sporty stiff suspension. road noise is loud, hopefully next tires improve this. faulty brake switch and flickering radio led will be warranty repairs. hopefully the rumor about electronic steering reprogramming is true. minor, but door entry is a tad low. Im 6'1" and I've bumped my head a few times. a bit underpowered for passing but shifting the auto tranny down works and I don't notice it otherwise. if awd and looks don't matter, you'd be better off with a more tame ride like the CTV or rav 4. fuel economy in city 16-17 mpg.