2011 Kia Sportage Consumer Review: Can You Ignore The Ride?

2011 Kia Sportage - Consumer Review

SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

Can You Ignore The Ride?
By ryan2006 on

2011 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had my Sportage for approx 1 month and 1000 miles. I traded in a 2010 Mazda 3 Grand Touring. The Sportage was the closest I could get to the 3's handling, performance and options. However, the 30k price tag was a bit hard to swallow. I really feel like I took a huge leap of faith buying a Kia...especially awith a $$ that could get me almost any other CUV out there. The warranty is great, but who wants a vehicle that needs to be in the shop alot. I only have two complaints: 1. The ride is rough. 2. Satellite reception is extremely spotty. So far, happy with the purchase. I just hope Kia is ready to deal with customer's expectations of those spending 30K on a vehicle.

Favorite Features

1. Navigation system 2. Back-up camera 3. Cooled front seat (why no passenger option here?) 4. Panoramic sunroof 5. Sirius traffic 6. Best leather of any car I've ever owned...by far! 7. Interior mood lights 8. The turbo's 260 hp!

Suggested Improvements

1. The ride is ok..I just wish the dealer could figure out why I have a shimmy at 45+ mph. 2. Satellite reception is really bad. Get use to seeing "Acquiring Signal" alot. 5th car with satellite and never had this issue before. 3. The engine sounds very out of shape
By jpmjr1
on 09/23/11 15:08 PM (PDT)

The shimmy is probably from the tires. I bought a 2011 SX as well and the first thing I did was replace the hancooks with real tires. They are really the weak link of this SUV, and its too bad they don't give you the option of better tires. If you read the reviews on TireRack for those tires, you'll see all kinds of horror stories. I went with Dunlop Signature CS tires instead and they are an excellent all season tire at a decent price. I'd bet money the problem you're having is from the tires. Not sure why you're having a problem with Sirius though, mine has been VERY good, better in fact than other cars I had with it. I'd have them replace the antenna & cable. The engine should quiet down about 30 seconds or so after you start it, its a valve in the turbo that is flapping quickly until it warms up and the computer takes control of it. Its normal to sound that way for the first 30-60 seconds.

By rosemarycars
on 01/23/12 06:27 AM (PST)

Sorry, I purchased the 2011, Kia Sportage, SX, built in april of 2011.

By rosemarycars
on 01/23/12 06:24 AM (PST)

I purchased the the Turbo, without the all wheel drive. and back up camera. it runs great, and it moves. I agree with the comment above me, the only thing the Turbo is noisey, when started after sitting over night, in my garage. The sound does go away after 30 seconde or so. I purchased it on the last day of the month, and the sticker was at $29,995, I paid, $ 27,250, or around that, with all cost included, even tax. Its my first cross-over, and its a great car.