2011 Kia Sportage Consumer Review: AWD is terrible!

2011 Kia Sportage - Consumer Review

LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. AWD 6-speed Automatic)

AWD is terrible!
By smallsuvdriver on

2011 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I think Kia forgot that above all, it is supposed to be an SUV! In the freak blizzard we had this past October, I was driving home when my windshield wipers stopped working simply b/c snow had built up under them, I tried turning them off, back on, spraying blue stuff, nothing would make them come back...I got out in almost white out conditions & scooped the extra snow & slush from under the wipers. They started to work again..... can't imagine if I had still been on Interstate and that happened. The next day, it couldn't even get up the hill outside our house! Our Subaru Forrester had no problems at all! After only a year, traded it in on a Ford Escape.

Exterior looks great

Interior is cheap & flimsy.... seats have horrible lower back support. Needs better quality interior pieces & better seats AWD is awful. Please give it a real 4WD system. Talk to Subaru, talk to Ford... Better windshield wipers. No windshield wipers should stop in a snowstorm - no excuses! More headroom! I think Kia needs to take some lessons in what's important in an SUV
By anubis2012
on 05/21/12 15:23 PM (PDT)

My AWD started sliding backwards down a dangerous mountain mining road. It was sliding backward and sideways toward the cliff and nothing but straight up embankment of rock on the other side. No matter what, every time it would start sliding down and over. I had to back at least 1/2 mile on this treaturous road. In my pasture roads, it kept dragging bottow too. All paved road travel was horrible MPG. It's supposed to get nearly 30 HWY, I was getting anywhere from 17-22 city / highway at best and rarely. Mostly it was worse. I was so mad, I traded it off and it was a lease so I lost a lot of money but if they lie that much about MPG, can't make it up a gravel road, what else awaited me?