Used 2011 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Went from a Forester XT to a Sportage SX AWD
By mike_in_nepa

2011 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

In the last 7 years, I had 2 different turbo AWD models ('05 Legacy GT and a '09 Forester XT Ltd w/ Nav). It might seem like a step down to go from a Subaru to a Kia, but it actually was a large upgrade for the most part. My Kia Sportage SX AWD is equipped with the Premium Package with Leather, and the Navigation package. My Sportage SX outshines the Forester in terms of comfort, audio, and performance. The seats are very comfortable for long trips, the driver's seat is both heated and cooled, the cabin is much quieter, etc. Visibility is an issue here - looks great, but there are plenty of blind spots. Far less body roll than my Subarus. My fuel economy ranges from 23.1 to 25.5.

Power: You feel that horsepower are any speed, it's just a slight nudge of the gas pedal to feel the massive torque it has. This thing is a torque monster: AWD + 3466 lbs + 269 lb feet of torque at 1850 rpm. C&D states 0-60 6.1 sec. Comfort: Cushy leather seats, dual zone digital climate control, heated/cooled seats (I love the cooled seats), the audio sounds great, and the navigation with ipod integration is superb. With the Bluetooth - it will sync up all of your contacts to the navigation, and wirelessly play your music as well! Quiet interior is great. Push button starter, panoramic sunroof. Fuel economy: This is a performance AWD SUV and I am getting over 25 mpg on 87 octane fuel

I like the handling and don't like the handling. Suspension is very firm, which I love. Body roll is almost non-existent, which I love. What I do NOT like is that it seems to like to understeer far more than my Subaru models, which is something I would like to see Kia work on. Other than that, all I could say is that Kia adds seat cooler to the passenger seat so they could get in on the butt cooling love too. I would love to see Kia add Sirius Travel Link to the Navigation. Accessories!!!! There is no trailer hitch option from Kia for the SX, nor do they have any roof racks for bikes or kayaks yet either. :(

A "jewel" discovered by former luxury sedan owner
By ncmtnbooper

2011 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Had AWD SX 3 weeks and ecstatic w/decision! Discerning and detail oriented, discovered this particular new model while refining choices for youngest daughter (buying first car entering final PhD student year in Cincinnati). Last two cars hand-built 2005 VW V8 Phaeton and 2001 BMW 750 IL, so I "know" luxury cars. At 6'2", comfort is a "must" - closely followed by size, performance, and value. "Fit" of loaded gray SX "just right" (golf clubs & accessories store privately in rear and roomy to ferry 2 standard poodles daily to office). No winter use yet for AWD, but MPG usually 30+. Daughter bought identical Red one sans NAV package. Wouldn't consider other non-turbo charged Sportages.

Comfortable supportive seats (and air-cooled one for driver); handling; powerful feel of the turbo-charged engine running on regular fuel (set cruise control on 61 on freeway at base of mountain and "ran up hill" at constant speed without 6 speed transmission downshifting, tachometer holding steady 2100 RPMs); looks, including neat front running light display and dual exhaust ports; rear sensor w/backup camera (part of NAV package); navigation with "decent" premium sound and satellite radio; "roominess" cabin feel given dimensions and "compact" exterior appearance; enhanced bladder suspension system particular to SX model; smallish footprint in driving lanes, garage, and parking spaces.

Seat with power mirror memory; addition of dashboard storage cubicles for change/watch; better (larger) rearview mirror vision; interior and remote switch for power opening of rear hatch.

Pleasantly Surprised
By hek

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Like most folks I was hesitant to buy anything Korean based on friends who actually bought them. After watching and researching the rise of both Hyundai and KIA I decided to give it go. I got a good deal thanks to having both a 2008 CRV and 1999 CRV which is what we used as a trade-in.Also, recent college grad helped as well. The 2011 KIA has its strong points and both Honda and Toyota better wake up. With 18s the KIA is definitely the more firm/harsh ride but also decidedly more sporty. The Honda has more cargo room and better visibility overall. The build quality is tight and the car pretty much sells itself which is a good thing because the dealers look like they need some upgrading.

Value, tech gadgets,exterior design. fuel economy is good at around 16 mpg overall.

child safety lock switch she not require a screw driver to activate. more storage pockets in rear with a nice grab handle like my Honda. Turn signal mounted low. Would be nice to sync with taillight such that each alternates blink pattern. more use of LEDs. For EX and SX HIDs should be standard. Standard body-side moldings as well.

One fun CUV!
By bstoecker

2011 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Having put on my first 3000 miles on my new Sportage SX, I am having no regrets yet for buying a KIA. I still get the "What? You bought a Kia?" and I just say "yes i did" and am proud of it so far. Kia has finally came to the game table while both Honda and Toyota are asleep at the wheel. When i found out Kia added a turbo to this sharp CUV, I had to go check it out. 3000 miles later and I have really enjoyed it. What fun is this CUV is kinda in disguise. With many not knowing what is under this hood, it is fun shocking those next to you when this turbo kicks in and away you go. Another great aspect is the gas mileage. On a weekend trip I recorded 30mpg on the highway. Avg so far is 25.

Turbo! Sunroof, Radio, Air cooled seats, DRL, Design and looks, interior room, gas mileage.

Auto windshield wiper blades, use of more soft touches in the interior.

Good car bad rebates
By kylet2011

2011 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my sportage about 3 weeks with no complaints about the car. Beware of your finance person and the fine print of your rebates. I am in a situation where the finance guy said I was ok with a rebate, and I drove off the lot, only to get a call a week later saying that I didnt qualify for the rebate. The finance guy was a real jerk about it, to the point that I refused to talk to him and would only talk to the sales mgr! Jack Miller Kia in North Kansas City, MO.

• SUV