Used 2011 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Great Ride
By suvhappy

2011 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have only owned my Sportage since Jan 16 which is 3 days as of today and I could not be happier. Traded in a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado that had poor gas mileage (of course), was noisy to drive, uncomfortable to sit in except for short drives and handled like a Mack Truck. Just was completely dissatisfied with the drive and feel of an 'American-made' car/SUV which felt cheap - not the reputation of Jeep I had expected. My Sportage has just made a 5 hour trip from the upper northwest Ohio to Columbus and neither I or my passengers felt fatigued by the seating or the room available in the seats. Got the 6-speed Automatic, turbo charged T-GDI model and I am thrilled.

Favorite Features

Seating: nice lumbar support for the driver, wonderful not to experience back fatigue while driving. Handling: Took a tight, tight S curve on an interstate approach ramp like it thought it was a sports car - and this from an SUV. Comfort: Unbelievably comfortable compared with the 2010 Jeep that I traded. Extremely quiet ride in the driver/passenger cabin. Sirius radio is a huge plus as in the Bluetooth tie in and control on the steering wheel make this a dream to drive. Road Wear (so far): Seemed to fly over even the roughest/washboard type roads - expected it to rock and cry like the Jeep but the Sportage did it without complaint and so smoothly.

AWD is terrible!
By smallsuvdriver

2011 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I think Kia forgot that above all, it is supposed to be an SUV! In the freak blizzard we had this past October, I was driving home when my windshield wipers stopped working simply b/c snow had built up under them, I tried turning them off, back on, spraying blue stuff, nothing would make them come back...I got out in almost white out conditions & scooped the extra snow & slush from under the wipers. They started to work again..... can't imagine if I had still been on Interstate and that happened. The next day, it couldn't even get up the hill outside our house! Our Subaru Forrester had no problems at all! After only a year, traded it in on a Ford Escape.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks great

Suggested Improvements

Interior is cheap & flimsy.... seats have horrible lower back support. Needs better quality interior pieces & better seats AWD is awful. Please give it a real 4WD system. Talk to Subaru, talk to Ford... Better windshield wipers. No windshield wipers should stop in a snowstorm - no excuses! More headroom! I think Kia needs to take some lessons in what's important in an SUV

Well designed car.
By tk6

2011 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I'm very happy with my Sportage SX. It is a lot of car for the money. It serves my need for something big enough to carry me, my wife and toddler on weekend daytrips. It does it while managing to be fun to drive, fairly frugal on gas, stylish and comfortable. Lots of tech features like USB, Bluetooth, backup camera, navigation, heated/cooled seat, dual-pane panoramic sunroof and premium stereo w/ sub.

Favorite Features

1. 2.0 liter turbo engine that runs on 87 octane. 2. Heated/cooled (driver) leather seats. 3. LED DRL's and projector low-beams. 4. Decent stereo, USB, Bluetooth, navi. 5. Stays flat in the twistys as long as you don't think you're driving a sports car. 6. Very intuitive cabin controls. Climate control is very good and easy to use. 7. Styling that isn't like Toyota or Honda.

Suggested Improvements

1. Could use a little more sound insulation. Road noise could be reduced. 2. Suspension could still use some tweaking in bump compliance, but overall it's not bad. 3. TPMS should display PSI, instead of just a warning light when a tire gets low.

Move over Rav-4 & CRV
By corby2

2011 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My wife wanted a small ute that could get her around during the long New England winter so AWD was a must-have. We started out looking at the same old/same old Rav 4 and CRV. They were both boring. Maybe it's because the styling is getting dated on both of these utes. We checked out the Sportage after seeing a couple on the road. The dealer had just got in the SX in a really nice color (Mineral Gray). One test drive and we were sold. Performance, style and price sold us on this car. That was in April. Now it's October and the only thing we have had to do is change the oil. If you are even thinking of a Rav-4 or CRV check out the Sportage. Kia has come a long way in a very short time.

Favorite Features

Turbo's performance makes it fun-to-drive. The extras including: GPS, LED headlights, interior/exterior styling. Car is a head-turner / get lots of" "great looking car".

Suggested Improvements

Make a hybrid version. It's much better looking than the Prius.

Great cute ute
By rusticdriver

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Finally got rid of my 10 yr old Toyota Sequoia-had problems with it from the get go. I live in rural Vermont on dirt roads and need clearance and 4WD plus room for 2 dogs and 2 kids. I love the Sportage. Very fun to drive and great gas mileage for 4WD-about 25 mpg average, mostly on rural roads. So far, good on dirt roads and I don't have serious tires on it yet. I bought the EX and the seats are very comfortable especially with the lumbar support for the driver. Very quiet ride. Visibility is fine in back, but the combination of the pillars and side mirrors in the front is a safety hazard! I can't see medians while turning left and I can't see people in in crosswalks.

Favorite Features

Great exterior styling. Very comfortable cabin and good cargo space. We really like the sport bottle holders on the doors and the room for back passengers. The standard features are great-love the steering wheel stereo controls and Bluetooth. Good lighting and I like the under cargo storage. Telescoping steering wheel is great, but could come out even more.

Suggested Improvements

Rain dripped in my cracked windows right into the speakers on the front door. The dealership didn't offer any rainguards. Had to spend $75 OEM. Solved the problem, but now it's a bit loud with the windows open. No air vents in back! An SUV should be set up for utility-kids, and dogs included. The front passenger seat is too low. I can adjust the height on the driver's side though. A wide step out of the car. Needs trash container. Weak radio reception and low grade speakers. Radio and air controls too far a reach. Keys hang on legs. Outside turn signals are low and are always covered in dirt. Tacky rubbery bottom edge trim never really gets clean-looks like a dirty chalkboard.