2011 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Pleasantly Surprised
By hek on 07/07/11 17:05 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Like most folks I was hesitant to buy anything Korean based on friends who actually bought them. After watching and researching the rise of both Hyundai and KIA I decided to give it go. I got a good deal thanks to having both a 2008 CRV and 1999 CRV which is what we used as a trade-in.Also, recent college grad helped as well. The 2011 KIA has its strong points and both Honda and Toyota better wake up. With 18s the KIA is definitely the more firm/harsh ride but also decidedly more sporty. The Honda has more cargo room and better visibility overall. The build quality is tight and the car pretty much sells itself which is a good thing because the dealers look like they need some upgrading.

One fun CUV!
By bstoecker on 05/27/11 16:50 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Having put on my first 3000 miles on my new Sportage SX, I am having no regrets yet for buying a KIA. I still get the "What? You bought a Kia?" and I just say "yes i did" and am proud of it so far. Kia has finally came to the game table while both Honda and Toyota are asleep at the wheel. When i found out Kia added a turbo to this sharp CUV, I had to go check it out. 3000 miles later and I have really enjoyed it. What fun is this CUV is kinda in disguise. With many not knowing what is under this hood, it is fun shocking those next to you when this turbo kicks in and away you go. Another great aspect is the gas mileage. On a weekend trip I recorded 30mpg on the highway. Avg so far is 25.

Good car bad rebates
By kylet2011 on 04/11/11 12:06 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my sportage about 3 weeks with no complaints about the car. Beware of your finance person and the fine print of your rebates. I am in a situation where the finance guy said I was ok with a rebate, and I drove off the lot, only to get a call a week later saying that I didnt qualify for the rebate. The finance guy was a real jerk about it, to the point that I refused to talk to him and would only talk to the sales mgr! Jack Miller Kia in North Kansas City, MO.

Fun vehicle but disappointing fuel economy
By mayfield53 on 04/09/11 08:33 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great styling inside and out. A number of features standard that you would pay extra in other cars. Have about 3,500 miles with no mechanical issues. I am over 6 foot and have plenty of head and leg room. The six speed automatic is quick to downshift on a grade. Fuel economy is well below the advertised 23-31. I have average around 22.5 through the winter months. Tires perform poorly in snow due to poor tread pattern. Ride is very stiff. Rear window is limits visibility, but large side windows overcomes this with a look over the shoulder. Overall fun to drive, easy to drive with good visibility of the road

Surprising (in a good way)
By sphal on 04/08/11 07:09 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I was surprised to see the Sportage at the top of most "cute ute" lists, but after driving one I was just surprised at what a great car it is. I was set on buying a Equinox, but none were in stock on the weekend I had to buy (my old car died). I drove the Kia and found a car that was just as nice for 3-4k less. After 1 month I have no regrets, it is the perfect car for me with decent gas mileage, good looks, and lots of amenities (AWD, leather, roof, GPS).

very nice so far, but...
By jlg1875 on 04/05/11 14:09 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the LX 2WD on Saturday and though so far I like it, I have a few gripes. I traded in a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE after only 9400 miles. It was a decent vehicle, but living in NJ just outside NYC with constant stop and go traffic, my MPGs were averaging around 20. I agree so far with other reviews, the Sportage's ride is very firm, and with a lot of local streets looking like the moon's surface, I found that out quickly. However, I'm used to it already as the Santa Fe was not the smoothest ride on its 18 inch rims (Sportage has 17 inch). Steering is also very light and will take some getting used to. Interior a little too plasticy, but I don't agree that rear visibility is all that bad.

never thought I'd drive a Kia
By sx_dude on 03/28/11 13:25 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought a Sportage SX last week. Was looking for a small SUV with some punch, decent fuel economy and a cooled seat for summer days. Only thing I sould find was the Lincoln MKX but didn't want to spend 50K. SX model has 256 hp and 264 torque - it moooooves! Still on first tank of gas so not sure about fuel ratings yet. Several comments from people at work! Kia's qualty seems to have come around a lot lately. Traded my BMW 328xi and actually got better 0-60 acceleration, better gas mileage at almost half the cost! Stereo sounds great!

Happy so Far!
By flea_1008 on 03/16/11 10:39 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I finally had to say goodbye to my 01 Subaru Impreza RS. At 165 horsepower, I didn't want to lost much on the "fun" factor for my new ride. Test drove a 1.6 Soul, and it was very underpowered. Tried the Sportage and was pleasantly surprised. Love the good gas mileage (27 mpg)and loads more cargo space. Also love the styling. I went w/ the base model because wanted something new/reliable and good on gas. I'll miss the AWD in my Subaru, but if you want the higher level models have AWD. Can't beat the value on the manual 6speed and the awesome warranty. Kia had some great incentives and low APR as well. I think this is a car I'll have for many years to come.

Sportage EX Update
By daviel on 03/12/11 20:47 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I sent in a review at one week's ownership; I have 10,000 miles. I really cannot think of a single complaint-the Sportage is doing fine. I like the handling and the engine. I did not buy this car to be a rocket, but it is fine in traffic; gets off the line quick. Mileage is still good - I do not drive it for max mileage and it's still good. a very comfortable car. I am delighted I bought it - my favorite car!

Loving it!!!
By loulou7 on 02/12/11 23:21 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Couldnt be happier with our purchase. I love my new car!! Havent found any downfalls yet. I did have concerns before purchasing about the C pillars but, so far we haven't had any visability issues. The 18 inch wheels are a little stiffer ride, but not bad at all. All in all just very happy with the Sportage and we have people ask us about it all the time.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Kia Sportage in VA is:

$131 per month*