Used 2011 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

3 yrs later...
By rifral

2011 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I gave 5 stars too... 3 years ago! The styling is cool, awesome sunroof, decent cargo and passenger room and... well... that's about it. 2 brake switch replacements* (recently recalled), less than expected gas mileage, squeeks and rattles and lately the transmission is reving too high. I have no faith that this rather expensive model will last me the 10 years I was hoping for. It might be a hard sale once the warranty expires! *when the brake switch blows, the car is completely dead. I know things happen but I shouldn't have to see my car being towed on a flat bed twice while making car payments.

2011 Kia Sportage SX
By scha

2011 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased the Sportage based on the long list of features, engine performance and styling. I regret to say the build quality, reliability and performance have been poor to say the least. This was my first experience with Kia and will be my last. I was really hoping this would be a vehicle I could depend on for years but found out after only two I must replace it or risk becoming stranded and once out of warranty, paying dealer costs for repairs, TSB and recalls. Fuel mileage average during ownership (30,000) = 22.4 MPG (well below advertised) 5 trips to the dealer for warranty repairs in two years, 30,000 miles.

Auto climate control system.

Build a quality product. ECM issues causing rough idle, turbo waste gate actuator failed in the first 3,400 miles, severe engine rattle at idle, engine pulse at low speeds when cold, blower motor failed with 27,000 miles, turbo failed at 30,000 and another ECM recall. This is all with in two years, 30,000 miles. Hopefully this is isolated to just this Sportage and all of Kia's customers are not dealing with this.

Wish I had waited
By rmhpmi

2011 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned my 2011 Sportage SX 2WD for just about two years now. While my wife uses the vehicle as her daily driver, I have had enough seat time to offer my opinions about this great looking but not-so-reliable little SUV. Sadly, the 2.0 liter turbocharged engine failed at about 9,000 miles and basically had to be replaced. We have had ongoing issues ever since, but nothing bad enough to be considered a "lemon" under NC law. I feel certain we will be trading the vehicle next year despite getting killed on depreciation. My KIA/Hyundai experiment is over. Japanese for me from now on.

PROS: Decent overall fuel economy with a lifetime average of 24-25 MPG in mostly city driving. On highway trips we have no problem getting 28-29 MPG with the cruise set on 75. Overall we have been satisfied with the fuel mileage for the vehicle. Technology and comfort options on the vehicle are really one of the best selling points. Heated and cooled seats (driver only for cooled), back up camera, dual sunroofs, good navigation system, LED running lights are all appreciated. Styling of this vehicle is very attractive and a strong selling point for most KIA vehicles recently.

Reliability is not about having a 100K mile warranty. It is about not leaving me stranded on the side of the road. This vehicle has done that multiple times. Sorry KIA, but that is unacceptable no matter how good your warranty is. Ride is not comfortable in this vehicle on anything except glass-smooth roads. Wind/Road noise are higher than comfortable and the satellite radio is not worth the cost for me due to constantly dropped signals. Voice command recognition software needs improvement as it is very unreliable and difficult to use.

great looking, functional awd, a few drawbacks though.
By avidcarguy

2011 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The good: great looking eye catching vehicle. I have heard complaints about the interior hard plastics, but I think its all fine. I never would have thought about it had I not read it. Awd system works exceptionally, I live where it snows a lot and handling is great. The bad: road noise, punishing stiff suspension, at 30k miles dash fan squeaks, radio led flickers, tires wearing poorly, steering is atrocious on long straight stretches seems like a half inch dead spot on center, requiring constant minor correction. Design flaw causes debris kicked up by front tires to ding up lower rear door badly. I like the car a lot, especially for the price, but some design change needed.

awd system, radio system is great, steering wheel and controls are excellent. External design is outstanding, internal also good. good brakes, storage tray under hatch area is useful. USB plug in and dual outlets helpful. Bluetooth is useful. rear seat room is good for kids and adults. handling is good low body roll but you pay for it with suspension. no backup camera, but the backup bee sensor works wonders. no camera needed. winter handling is great. fuel economy on highway up to 35 mpg.

OEM tires will be dead by 35k miles. ride is too stiff, and I traded in a 07 Audi A4 for this which had sporty stiff suspension. road noise is loud, hopefully next tires improve this. faulty brake switch and flickering radio led will be warranty repairs. hopefully the rumor about electronic steering reprogramming is true. minor, but door entry is a tad low. Im 6'1" and I've bumped my head a few times. a bit underpowered for passing but shifting the auto tranny down works and I don't notice it otherwise. if awd and looks don't matter, you'd be better off with a more tame ride like the CTV or rav 4. fuel economy in city 16-17 mpg.

2nd Kia
By korensoul

2011 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Traded in my 10 Soul for the 11 Sportage. I wanted something with AWD and the reliability of the Soul was awesome. Nothing besides oil changes at 78,000 on the Soul! The sportage has be extremely reliable as well. at almost 30,000, it has needed nothing except a switch replaced (covered under warranty). I am short at 5', and it was hard finding a car I fit in comfortably, I drive 70+ miles a day for work, and my butt never goes numb like on past cars.

Comfort, Size, Awd, Gas Mileage (avg: 28 to 31), the dealership is Awesome. Is roomier than what it looks, and has been extremely reliable. I really love this car.

I hate the 'upgraded' cloth seats. They are impossible to clean, and the drivers seat puckers where my butt goes. I weigh 137lbs, I don't think it should be puckering like that! The steering wheel is cheap, and peeling. I also dislike the stereo placement, its positioned awkward for my short arms. And I wish I had opted for the premium package (heated leather seats and sunroof) on my EX. The lack of sunroof makes it feel like a cave in there, and the seats are extremely hard to clean with dogs. I am seriously considering trading it in on a new EX with those options.