2011 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
3 yrs later...
By rifral on 01/28/14 16:59 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I gave 5 stars too... 3 years ago! The styling is cool, awesome sunroof, decent cargo and passenger room and... well... that's about it. 2 brake switch replacements* (recently recalled), less than expected gas mileage, squeeks and rattles and lately the transmission is reving too high. I have no faith that this rather expensive model will last me the 10 years I was hoping for. It might be a hard sale once the warranty expires! *when the brake switch blows, the car is completely dead. I know things happen but I shouldn't have to see my car being towed on a flat bed twice while making car payments.

2nd Kia
By korensoul on 10/28/12 11:27 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Traded in my 10 Soul for the 11 Sportage. I wanted something with AWD and the reliability of the Soul was awesome. Nothing besides oil changes at 78,000 on the Soul! The sportage has be extremely reliable as well. at almost 30,000, it has needed nothing except a switch replaced (covered under warranty). I am short at 5', and it was hard finding a car I fit in comfortably, I drive 70+ miles a day for work, and my butt never goes numb like on past cars.

Never Again!
By slumberbum65 on 02/09/12 11:35 AM (PST)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the 2011 Kia Sportage EX after looking for the right model and getting what I thought was a good price, I had the car for 10 months. This car left me stranded 3 times in 10 months. The first time I was out of town and a "fuse" blew and the car wouldn't start, towed to dealer for repair on a Sunday, took $50 cab ride home 2 weeks later it dropped dead at an intersection, fuse blew again due to bad fuel pump, replace pump after tow to dealer, 3rd time it left me stranded on a dirt road high in the mountains, Kia roadside was no help at all and ignored me, had to use my buddies AAA to get a flatbed, some expensive computer module broke, fixed, promptly traded for 2010 Ford Taurus.

Great cute ute
By rusticdriver on 09/22/11 06:47 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Finally got rid of my 10 yr old Toyota Sequoia-had problems with it from the get go. I live in rural Vermont on dirt roads and need clearance and 4WD plus room for 2 dogs and 2 kids. I love the Sportage. Very fun to drive and great gas mileage for 4WD-about 25 mpg average, mostly on rural roads. So far, good on dirt roads and I don't have serious tires on it yet. I bought the EX and the seats are very comfortable especially with the lumbar support for the driver. Very quiet ride. Visibility is fine in back, but the combination of the pillars and side mirrors in the front is a safety hazard! I can't see medians while turning left and I can't see people in in crosswalks.

Fuel mileage dissapointing but nice SUV with lots of option
By kds5 on 08/26/11 19:56 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We've had our 2011 Sportage for about 6 months and we pleased with almost everything. Traded in a Lexus IS250 that got 29-32 mpg for more room and mileage that ranges from 22-33 on the sticker. Driving very conservatively in "ECO" mode with reg fuel only gets us about 19.8 combined highway and city. If we use premium fuel with no ethanol we up that about 4 mpg. Using premium on the highway only we can get about 26.5. Now has about 8500 miles so should be broken in by now. Other than that, the car is loaded with options comparable to our Lexus. We like the nav better and it updates with Satellite vs buying a disc. Enjoying it overall and looks great, just disappointed in the fuel.

Pleasantly Surprised
By hek on 07/07/11 17:05 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Like most folks I was hesitant to buy anything Korean based on friends who actually bought them. After watching and researching the rise of both Hyundai and KIA I decided to give it go. I got a good deal thanks to having both a 2008 CRV and 1999 CRV which is what we used as a trade-in.Also, recent college grad helped as well. The 2011 KIA has its strong points and both Honda and Toyota better wake up. With 18s the KIA is definitely the more firm/harsh ride but also decidedly more sporty. The Honda has more cargo room and better visibility overall. The build quality is tight and the car pretty much sells itself which is a good thing because the dealers look like they need some upgrading.

Surprising (in a good way)
By sphal on 04/08/11 07:09 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I was surprised to see the Sportage at the top of most "cute ute" lists, but after driving one I was just surprised at what a great car it is. I was set on buying a Equinox, but none were in stock on the weekend I had to buy (my old car died). I drove the Kia and found a car that was just as nice for 3-4k less. After 1 month I have no regrets, it is the perfect car for me with decent gas mileage, good looks, and lots of amenities (AWD, leather, roof, GPS).

Loving it!!!
By loulou7 on 02/12/11 23:21 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Couldnt be happier with our purchase. I love my new car!! Havent found any downfalls yet. I did have concerns before purchasing about the C pillars but, so far we haven't had any visability issues. The 18 inch wheels are a little stiffer ride, but not bad at all. All in all just very happy with the Sportage and we have people ask us about it all the time.

First Impressions
By happi81 on 01/19/11 12:55 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the Sportage EX with the Leather/Navigation package which gives you all the toys and still came in under $30k. They present a great value when looking at price, features, and warranty but at the same time they look amazing...at least in my opinion. However, here are the cons for me. 1. Our volume button on the steering wheel broke within 2 weeks 2. Rear dimming lights are too dim. Cant really see anything except for headlights of other vehicles. 3. Almost impossible to navigate through back window.. too small 4. Seatbelt indicator is beyond annoying, beeps incessantly. 5. Seatbelt on the passenger side bangs against door when not in use. 6. Ride is very stiff and unforgiving

Problem with electronic steering
By garydevans on 01/13/11 07:12 AM (PST)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My vehicle has two distinct issues with the electronic steering. 1) When driving in a straight line the car wanders to the left and right. There does not seem to be a preference. Sometimes it goes left and sometimes it goes right. 2) There is some stiction in the steering wheel control. As you try to correct slightly for the wandering the steering does not react to the first slight control pressure but as the pressure is increased it does release usually resulting in an over correction. As a result of these two problems the car will weave down a straight road with the need for constant corrections on the steering wheel.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Kia Sportage in VA is:

$135 per month*