Used 2011 Kia Sportage EX Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

3 yrs later...
By rifral

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I gave 5 stars too... 3 years ago! The styling is cool, awesome sunroof, decent cargo and passenger room and... well... that's about it. 2 brake switch replacements* (recently recalled), less than expected gas mileage, squeeks and rattles and lately the transmission is reving too high. I have no faith that this rather expensive model will last me the 10 years I was hoping for. It might be a hard sale once the warranty expires!
*when the brake switch blows, the car is completely dead. I know things happen but I shouldn't have to see my car being towed on a flat bed twice while making car payments.

2nd Kia
By korensoul

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Traded in my 10 Soul for the 11 Sportage.
I wanted something with AWD and the reliability of the Soul was awesome.
Nothing besides oil changes at 78,000 on the Soul!
The sportage has be extremely reliable as well.
at almost 30,000, it has needed nothing except a switch replaced (covered under warranty).
I am short at 5', and it was hard finding a car I fit in comfortably, I drive 70+ miles a day for work, and my butt never goes numb like on past cars.

Comfort, Size, Awd, Gas Mileage (avg: 28 to 31), the dealership is Awesome. Is roomier than what it looks, and has been extremely reliable. I really love this car.

I hate the 'upgraded' cloth seats. They are impossible to clean, and the drivers seat puckers where my butt goes. I weigh 137lbs, I don't think it should be puckering like that! The steering wheel is cheap, and peeling. I also dislike the stereo placement, its positioned awkward for my short arms. And I wish I had opted for the premium package (heated leather seats and sunroof) on my EX. The lack of sunroof makes it feel like a cave in there, and the seats are extremely hard to clean with dogs. I am seriously considering trading it in on a new EX with those options.

Never Again!
By slumberbum65

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the 2011 Kia Sportage EX after looking for the right model and getting what I thought was a good price, I had the car for 10 months. This car left me stranded 3 times in 10 months. The first time I was out of town and a "fuse" blew and the car wouldn't start, towed to dealer for repair on a Sunday, took $50 cab ride home 2 weeks later it dropped dead at an intersection, fuse blew again due to bad fuel pump, replace pump after tow to dealer, 3rd time it left me stranded on a dirt road high in the mountains, Kia roadside was no help at all and ignored me, had to use my buddies AAA to get a flatbed, some expensive computer module broke, fixed, promptly traded for 2010 Ford Taurus.

Wheels, headlights, overall style of car, bluetooth turning radius.

QUALITY! first model year, I should have known better, KIA roadside asst was terrible, took forever to get a tow truck when broken down, warranty is great but I didn't plan on using it 3 times in 10 months! over $2000 of towing and repair work done! I think I got a lemon cause other reviews have been positive, I called Kia customer support to complain and got the run around. I planned on owning this car for 5 years and buying another one until all this happened, I love the Ford that I replace the Kia with, it's like night and day. never again will I buy a Kia.

Great cute ute
By rusticdriver

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Finally got rid of my 10 yr old Toyota Sequoia-had problems with it from the get go.
I live in rural Vermont on dirt roads and need clearance and 4WD plus room for 2 dogs and 2 kids.
I love the Sportage.
Very fun to drive and great gas mileage for 4WD-about 25 mpg average, mostly on rural roads.
So far, good on dirt roads and I don't have serious tires on it yet.
I bought the EX and the seats are very comfortable especially with the lumbar support for the driver.
Very quiet ride.
Visibility is fine in back, but the combination of the pillars and side mirrors in the front is a safety hazard!
I can't see medians while turning left and I can't see people in in crosswalks.

Great exterior styling. Very comfortable cabin and good cargo space. We really like the sport bottle holders on the doors and the room for back passengers. The standard features are great-love the steering wheel stereo controls and Bluetooth. Good lighting and I like the under cargo storage. Telescoping steering wheel is great, but could come out even more.

Rain dripped in my cracked windows right into the speakers on the front door. The dealership didn't offer any rainguards. Had to spend $75 OEM. Solved the problem, but now it's a bit loud with the windows open. No air vents in back! An SUV should be set up for utility-kids, and dogs included. The front passenger seat is too low. I can adjust the height on the driver's side though. A wide step out of the car. Needs trash container. Weak radio reception and low grade speakers. Radio and air controls too far a reach. Keys hang on legs. Outside turn signals are low and are always covered in dirt. Tacky rubbery bottom edge trim never really gets clean-looks like a dirty chalkboard.

Fuel mileage dissapointing but nice SUV with lots of option
By kds5

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We've had our 2011 Sportage for about 6 months and we pleased with almost everything.
Traded in a Lexus IS250 that got 29-32 mpg for more room and mileage that ranges from 22-33 on the sticker.
Driving very conservatively in "ECO" mode with reg fuel only gets us about 19.8 combined highway and city.
If we use premium fuel with no ethanol we up that about 4 mpg.
Using premium on the highway only we can get about 26.5.
Now has about 8500 miles so should be broken in by now.
Other than that, the car is loaded with options comparable to our Lexus.
We like the nav better and it updates with Satellite vs buying a disc.
Enjoying it overall and looks great, just disappointed in the fuel.

Exterior appearance is very sharp! Navigation is easy to use and updated. Backup camera, love it. Roominess it very good.

Tilting mirrors to see down when putting in reverse. Auto wipers. Directional headlights.