2011 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
3 yrs later...
By rifral on 01/28/14 16:59 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I gave 5 stars too... 3 years ago! The styling is cool, awesome sunroof, decent cargo and passenger room and... well... that's about it. 2 brake switch replacements* (recently recalled), less than expected gas mileage, squeeks and rattles and lately the transmission is reving too high. I have no faith that this rather expensive model will last me the 10 years I was hoping for. It might be a hard sale once the warranty expires! *when the brake switch blows, the car is completely dead. I know things happen but I shouldn't have to see my car being towed on a flat bed twice while making car payments.

2011 Kia Sportage SX
By scha on 11/11/13 18:00 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased the Sportage based on the long list of features, engine performance and styling. I regret to say the build quality, reliability and performance have been poor to say the least. This was my first experience with Kia and will be my last. I was really hoping this would be a vehicle I could depend on for years but found out after only two I must replace it or risk becoming stranded and once out of warranty, paying dealer costs for repairs, TSB and recalls. Fuel mileage average during ownership (30,000) = 22.4 MPG (well below advertised) 5 trips to the dealer for warranty repairs in two years, 30,000 miles.

Wish I had waited
By rmhpmi on 09/10/13 09:57 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned my 2011 Sportage SX 2WD for just about two years now. While my wife uses the vehicle as her daily driver, I have had enough seat time to offer my opinions about this great looking but not-so-reliable little SUV. Sadly, the 2.0 liter turbocharged engine failed at about 9,000 miles and basically had to be replaced. We have had ongoing issues ever since, but nothing bad enough to be considered a "lemon" under NC law. I feel certain we will be trading the vehicle next year despite getting killed on depreciation. My KIA/Hyundai experiment is over. Japanese for me from now on.

great looking, functional awd, a few drawbacks though.
By avidcarguy on 04/21/13 10:24 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The good: great looking eye catching vehicle. I have heard complaints about the interior hard plastics, but I think its all fine. I never would have thought about it had I not read it. Awd system works exceptionally, I live where it snows a lot and handling is great. The bad: road noise, punishing stiff suspension, at 30k miles dash fan squeaks, radio led flickers, tires wearing poorly, steering is atrocious on long straight stretches seems like a half inch dead spot on center, requiring constant minor correction. Design flaw causes debris kicked up by front tires to ding up lower rear door badly. I like the car a lot, especially for the price, but some design change needed.

2nd Kia
By korensoul on 10/28/12 11:27 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Traded in my 10 Soul for the 11 Sportage. I wanted something with AWD and the reliability of the Soul was awesome. Nothing besides oil changes at 78,000 on the Soul! The sportage has be extremely reliable as well. at almost 30,000, it has needed nothing except a switch replaced (covered under warranty). I am short at 5', and it was hard finding a car I fit in comfortably, I drive 70+ miles a day for work, and my butt never goes numb like on past cars.

Not working out like I had hoped
By jbc6 on 06/19/12 11:23 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Love the car, enjoying it then just had to have the transmission totally replaced at 14,750. The warranty covered this. My beef is with Kia Roadside- the rep was clueless, I waited forever for a tow (not a flatbed) and the tow truck driver was not careful (to say the least).

One year and still loving it
By brianarm on 05/24/12 10:38 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have been driving this car for a year now and have put on 11K miles. Not a single thing has gone wrong, it is very reliable. All the small suv's are somewhat disappointing with their gas mileage. I average around 25 mpg in mixed driving without a heavy foot. I make several long trips (650 miles) a year and have to say the seats are incredibly comfortable and I'm 6'1. My mileage was about 30 mpg going about 75 on these trips. The EX gives you a lot a extra goodies - better seats, leather steering wheel, led lights in front, alloys etc. I could not be happier with my decision to buy this car.

MPG Sticker Lies drastically
By anubis2012 on 05/21/12 15:06 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I liked this SUV but the window sticker MPG is way off! I am a conservitave driver. On paved roads getting 17-22 best, but mostly worse. This AWD is a mountain goat as far as the AWD goes. I only got stuck going up one mining road in NV and it was not able to continue climbing the gravel road without slipping backward and sideways. It was a scary drive backward down a narrow road with a canyon on one side and embankment on the other. It was great in the sandy soil of my NW NV property but didn't quite clear the middle of the pasture roads. I sold it with only 5K because of the MPG being so misrepresented. Sorry to see it go but too much difference in MPG way below sticker. Not nice!

Umm!!
By gd1 on 03/14/12 10:53 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Well I purchased the 2011 Kia Sportage LX in August 2010 and I must say the firmness of the SUV was an issue with me. I enjoyed the Navigation and Satellite but it wasn't enough for me to keep the car due to my monthly payments. It was great in the snow. I hope my trade in was worth it. Bye Bye Kia!

Never Again!
By slumberbum65 on 02/09/12 11:35 AM (PST)

2011 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the 2011 Kia Sportage EX after looking for the right model and getting what I thought was a good price, I had the car for 10 months. This car left me stranded 3 times in 10 months. The first time I was out of town and a "fuse" blew and the car wouldn't start, towed to dealer for repair on a Sunday, took $50 cab ride home 2 weeks later it dropped dead at an intersection, fuse blew again due to bad fuel pump, replace pump after tow to dealer, 3rd time it left me stranded on a dirt road high in the mountains, Kia roadside was no help at all and ignored me, had to use my buddies AAA to get a flatbed, some expensive computer module broke, fixed, promptly traded for 2010 Ford Taurus.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Kia Sportage in VA is:

$98 per month*