2009 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Awesome car
By gerardw on 07/05/12 16:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Living in Central Canada where the winter weather can get down into the -40C range, and the summer temps, like today, can hover in the +30C area, I read reports on the Sportage and decided to buy. I previously had a Kia Magentis for five years, which, to date is the best car I have ever owned. The Sportage is coming in a close second. Very comfortable, great ride, good on gas and excellent dealer service all add up to continuing with this brand next year. No problem starting in the cold weather and efficient air conditioning in the summer bring excellent reliability. I miss an inside armrest, wish it had digital temperature controls, but if that is all I have to complain about????

ESC light is on
By michelle on 08/09/10 10:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car. I replaced a 2002 Chevy trailblazer with my Kia. I think it's a good choice. That car was junk. Recently my esc off light is on. Any suggestions other than take it to a dealer. It isn't doing anything funky or making any noises. It came on after a bad rain storm. It comes on after about a mile a 2 has passed. Other than that its a great vehicle.

Long term review
By ac on 07/11/10 10:26 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Owned the Sportage for a year and half with 35k miles still going strong. Recently I've been getting as much as 30 MPG. The sportage is very solid, no issues at all. The sportage has been a great commuter car and family work horse. Between commuting and getting the kids off to there sports, this car has been great. plenty of storage in the back with enough room to travel with 5 people. I find The 4 cylinder 2.0 liter engine adequate. Its not a rocket but gets me where i have to go. The 5 speed makes the sportage fun to drive. The outside finish is still as shiny as the day i got it. No issues at all , none. I do all of the required maintenance through the dealer. Easy to maintain. Great car!

Loved It, Sorta Love It Still
By Jess on 06/16/10 15:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Spent a PA winter driving circles around other ppl and going up hills passing everyone. FUN. It's cute, way more economical than my Jeep was and super reliable in terms of the engine. After a year, however, the left rear side is creaking like an old house & like another reviewer said, my back hinge is rusting off and I have to get another. The hinges were on back order so this is a common problem apparently. The interior is cheap, you can't go in there without scratching it. Great engine, love the look and simplicity of it, but the rest is not holding up to my expectations at the moment. I don't think a car should have ANY problems after a year, just saying. Overall I still love it.

Great SUV for the price.
By br2000nc on 06/09/10 20:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the Sportage because it was thousands cheaper than the rest of the compact SUVs and has a better warranty. Kia was also offering a $2000 rebate at the time. Have about 27k on it and so far it has been great. posted fuel economy is 20/25/23, we live in the country and average about 26 mpg, not bad. The only disappointment so far is the tires. They already need to be replaced. The 2.0 I4 is ok at highway speeds but acceleration is a little slow. Get the V6 if you want the 4WD model. Other than that it's a great SUV at a great value.

Pre Owned Kia
By Ben on 05/31/10 06:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car in early March, with 14,000 miles on the clock. Have put 6,000 miles on it in 3 months. Averaging 21 mpg 80/20 highway city split. (75 mph over hilly WV terrain). Very pleasant dealership experience. The USB adapter seems to have stopped working, the only flaw against this car.

Nice exterior/poor reliability
By Brandrews on 05/26/10 19:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car brand new with 87 kilometers on it. Right off the bat the stereo didn't work right. Lost reception in the city all the time. Dealership replaced stereo, didn't fix it. Replaced wiring, didn't fix it. Replaced antenna, didn't fix it. Installed an aftermarket FM Modulator, didn't fix it. They hacked up my dashboard with their tools. 8 months later, countless calls to Kia Canada. Nothing has been fixed. The car hasn't started 5 times since I bought it brand new. The hinges on the back liftgate began to degrade and caused rust streaks down my back window. When fixing this issue, the dealership chipped two pieces off of the roof of my car. Now I need to have the roof repainted.

Value! Value! Value!
By Phil Blue on 03/20/10 10:32 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Cash for clunkers and the rebate made trading in my wife's 2000 Ford Windstar a no brainer. Five days after purchase, we drove our daughter to college, 3500 miles round trip over a weeks time. The comfortable ride was an unexpected pleasure. I am 6'4" and get uncomfortable driving most vehicles for long hours at a time. This Sportage was extremely comfortable during 10 hour driving times. I truly believe the Korean automakers (Kia/Hyundai) are meeting the needs of consumers these days. I now have 15,000 miles on my Kia with absolutely no problems. The 4 banger motor struggles to pass on the hwy and take on hilly Tennessee mountains. I will never buy another American made car, KIA is VALUE!

09 Kia Sportage long term review
By acer on 02/28/10 19:23 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in April of 09,21000 miles later no issues. Great small suv. NH winters can be rough, have driven on unplowed roads with 2 feet of snow and had no problems getting through on stock Kumo tires. Solid as the day i bought. MPG is 25-27 city/hwy. The lx 4 cylinder is basic and functional the inside, w/4 cylinder a great commuter car. Excellent Family work horse. Exterior finish is excellent. Looked at the subaru, but sportage was roomier, cant beat the warrenty.

Love this car!
By CircleGirl on 02/15/10 10:28 AM (PST)

2009 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

After owning a Honda, a Toyota and a Mazda, I gave Kia a gry this time. So far, I love everything about this car! The ride is smooth and quiet. The interior is impeccable. The external styling is sporty and attractive. The car handles very well on all types of road conditions and I'm sure the 4WD has saved me from spinning out into a ditch several times already. I love being higher up off the road, and I think this car is a great buy.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Kia Sportage Suv in VA is:

$116 per month*