Used 2009 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2009 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Awesome car
By gerardw

2009 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Living in Central Canada where the winter weather can get down into the -40C range, and the summer temps, like today, can hover in the +30C area, I read reports on the Sportage and decided to buy. I previously had a Kia Magentis for five years, which, to date is the best car I have ever owned. The Sportage is coming in a close second. Very comfortable, great ride, good on gas and excellent dealer service all add up to continuing with this brand next year. No problem starting in the cold weather and efficient air conditioning in the summer bring excellent reliability. I miss an inside armrest, wish it had digital temperature controls, but if that is all I have to complain about????

Favorite Features

The ride, the ride, the ride!!! I have friends who own much more expensive cars and they are amazed at the ride in the Sportage.

Suggested Improvements

Digital air/heat controls to allow easier heat/cold settings. up/down one touch window on the passenger front side.

ESC light is on
By michelle

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car. I replaced a 2002 Chevy trailblazer with my Kia. I think it's a good choice. That car was junk. Recently my esc off light is on. Any suggestions other than take it to a dealer. It isn't doing anything funky or making any noises. It came on after a bad rain storm. It comes on after about a mile a 2 has passed. Other than that its a great vehicle.

Favorite Features

Its cute. stereo. satellite radio.

Suggested Improvements

more plush interior. more room.

Long term review
By ac

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Owned the Sportage for a year and half with 35k miles still going strong. Recently I've been getting as much as 30 MPG. The sportage is very solid, no issues at all. The sportage has been a great commuter car and family work horse. Between commuting and getting the kids off to there sports, this car has been great. plenty of storage in the back with enough room to travel with 5 people. I find The 4 cylinder 2.0 liter engine adequate. Its not a rocket but gets me where i have to go. The 5 speed makes the sportage fun to drive. The outside finish is still as shiny as the day i got it. No issues at all , none. I do all of the required maintenance through the dealer. Easy to maintain. Great car!

Favorite Features

Love the 4 wheel drive, safety features, roof rack, storage and satellite radio. Excellent warranty and great value and quality. Simple controls to operate

Suggested Improvements

Exterior temp gauge, Vanity mirror lights, adjustable arm rest, light in the glove box,

Loved It, Sorta Love It Still
By Jess

2009 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Spent a PA winter driving circles around other ppl and going up hills passing everyone. FUN. It's cute, way more economical than my Jeep was and super reliable in terms of the engine. After a year, however, the left rear side is creaking like an old house & like another reviewer said, my back hinge is rusting off and I have to get another. The hinges were on back order so this is a common problem apparently. The interior is cheap, you can't go in there without scratching it. Great engine, love the look and simplicity of it, but the rest is not holding up to my expectations at the moment. I don't think a car should have ANY problems after a year, just saying. Overall I still love it.

Favorite Features

Simple efficient interior, outside design(so much better looking than the Tuscon), standard features, great dealership(so far, we'll see), price and warranty. Reliable-drove it back and forth from college in rain, sleet and snow with no problems.

Suggested Improvements

I hope they fixed things for the 10-11 models, such as outdated transmission & the cheap interior materials. If they have I would consider trading in my 09 because I do love this car & fixing some things would make it perfect in my opinion. But who is to say 10-11 models won't have other problems?

Great SUV for the price.
By br2000nc

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the Sportage because it was thousands cheaper than the rest of the compact SUVs and has a better warranty. Kia was also offering a $2000 rebate at the time. Have about 27k on it and so far it has been great. posted fuel economy is 20/25/23, we live in the country and average about 26 mpg, not bad. The only disappointment so far is the tires. They already need to be replaced. The 2.0 I4 is ok at highway speeds but acceleration is a little slow. Get the V6 if you want the 4WD model. Other than that it's a great SUV at a great value.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry, mp3/usb input standard, reclining back seats.

Suggested Improvements

Drop the 2.0 and use the 2.4 with the 5 speed auto. More cargo room. Better tires.