Used 2009 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2009 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Disintegrating interior
By R Miller

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a used 2009 Sportage in NBA December with 65K miles. Almost immediately, the passenger door lock froze. Had to have that repaired to be able to use the door. The interior light sunglass holder is breaking up. Both plastic light buttons have come off and bits broken off and the latch for the sunglasses has broken off. It will cost $165 just for the part. I don't think I'm excessively hard on cars; I just let go of a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe with 235K miles that I'd bought new and never had these issues. I had heard great things about Kia the last 10 years, but I am very disappointed and will not buy another.

Awesome car
By gerardw

2009 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Living in Central Canada where the winter weather can get down into the -40C range, and the summer temps, like today, can hover in the +30C area, I read reports on the Sportage and decided to buy.
I previously had a Kia Magentis for five years, which, to date is the best car I have ever owned.
The Sportage is coming in a close second.
Very comfortable, great ride, good on gas and excellent dealer service all add up to continuing with this brand next year.
No problem starting in the cold weather and efficient air conditioning in the summer bring excellent reliability.
I miss an inside armrest, wish it had digital temperature controls, but if that is all I have to complain about????

The ride, the ride, the ride!!! I have friends who own much more expensive cars and they are amazed at the ride in the Sportage.

Digital air/heat controls to allow easier heat/cold settings. up/down one touch window on the passenger front side.

ESC light is on
By michelle

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car. I replaced a 2002 Chevy trailblazer with my Kia. I think it's a good choice. That car was junk. Recently my esc off light is on. Any suggestions other than take it to a dealer. It isn't doing anything funky or making any noises. It came on after a bad rain storm. It comes on after about a mile a 2 has passed. Other than that its a great vehicle.

Its cute. stereo. satellite radio.

more plush interior. more room.

Long term review
By ac

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Owned the Sportage for a year and half with 35k miles still going strong. Recently I've been getting as much as 30 MPG. The sportage is very solid, no issues at all. The sportage has been a great commuter car and family work horse. Between commuting and getting the kids off to there sports, this car has been great. plenty of storage in the back with enough room to travel with 5 people. I find The 4 cylinder 2.0 liter engine adequate. Its not a rocket but gets me where i have to go. The 5 speed makes the sportage fun to drive. The outside finish is still as shiny as the day i got it. No issues at all , none. I do all of the required maintenance through the dealer. Easy to maintain. Great car!

Love the 4 wheel drive, safety features, roof rack, storage and satellite radio. Excellent warranty and great value and quality. Simple controls to operate

Exterior temp gauge, Vanity mirror lights, adjustable arm rest, light in the glove box,

Loved It, Sorta Love It Still
By Jess

2009 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Spent a PA winter driving circles around other ppl and going up hills passing everyone. FUN. It's cute, way more economical than my Jeep was and super reliable in terms of the engine. After a year, however, the left rear side is creaking like an old house & like another reviewer said, my back hinge is rusting off and I have to get another. The hinges were on back order so this is a common problem apparently. The interior is cheap, you can't go in there without scratching it. Great engine, love the look and simplicity of it, but the rest is not holding up to my expectations at the moment. I don't think a car should have ANY problems after a year, just saying. Overall I still love it.

Simple efficient interior, outside design(so much better looking than the Tuscon), standard features, great dealership(so far, we'll see), price and warranty. Reliable-drove it back and forth from college in rain, sleet and snow with no problems.

I hope they fixed things for the 10-11 models, such as outdated transmission & the cheap interior materials. If they have I would consider trading in my 09 because I do love this car & fixing some things would make it perfect in my opinion. But who is to say 10-11 models won't have other problems?