Used 2008 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Sportage SUV

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Love my 2008 Sportage
By Joan

2008 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

There isn't a more reliable vehicle. I've had the car for eight years and never had a problem after more than 90,000 miles. No GM car I've ever had can match that record. No car payment for the past four years and only cost has been regular oil changes. In eight years, changed the battery once and the tires once. Would buy again but the new model does not have the fold down front passenger seat. Thinking of buying a Buick Encore which does have the fold down front passenger seat but not confident it will be as reliable.

mountain road king
By Tony M,

2008 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had tried my kia sportage 4 wheel drive 6v from las vegas to salt lake city and back after two days, had feeling of confident that it works well in up and down the road, zigzag was not a road threat at all, it can be maneuver easily and controlled, engine power is excellent, it will not turn you down, At first I am not confident about her performance, but with long driving, I can testify that it is a quality SUV, I don't blame myself for having Kia brand.

Have I really become a Kia fan???
By dmblystone14

2008 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

To be fair this is actually my girlfriend's car but I drive it almost as much as she does. Everything about this car is average: the interior, the exterior, the performance. Nothing impressive. But I have actually become a Kia fan because of the reliability. We've had this thing on several long road trips with no problems. Other than maintenance items and a transmission fluid change at 45k miles due to hard shifting this thing has never let us down. I have a rear-wheel drive V8 and am looking for an 4WD SUV for winter. I just might get a KIA Sportage of my own.

Reliability is the only thing I really like about this car but that makes everything else much more bearable.

All of the improvements I'd recommend they've probably already done on the newer models of the Sportage. These include nicer interior, especially more comfortable seats. A more powerful engine and better handling. But like I said if you want a used SUV that is reliable I would definitely consider one of these.

Non smoking Campers view 2008 sportage.
By 4wheels2move

2008 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This review do to recal on the 2007 sportage Going home from the dealership my check engine light went on. I read the manual. I checked for recalls on the web. I found one recall for brake sensor and took the 2008 kia back . I told them of the recall. Kia checked the
computer and told me they had never had five sensors bad , reset my computer and sent me home. Light came on just down the street. I told them I thought it was the brake sensor. The computer said steering. They replaced it. Almost home check engine light again.I told them brake sensor gives false codes. They replaced pitch,yhaw, finaly the last the sensor a brake sensor done. When cruise control stopped working. Problem fixed

Good Visability from drivers seat. Adjusteble drivers seat. Good ground clerance for rough dirt roads. Dual automatic select transmision, Drive or select the gear wich is good on steep down hill dirt or snow roads allowing compresion breaking with disck breaking. Fold flat back and front passenger seat. I can camp in the car and not share a tent with bears. More accseserirse are standard than compotition. Rear ac/heater is under front seats, a plus in hot/cold climates. roof rack with crossbars holds safari rack and up to 100 pounds cargo for week long trips. Controls are intuitive and easy to accsess. 6 bevrage holders. Good leg and headroom for front and back seat passengers.

Back seats should recline. Better plastic on the interior. Add center arm wrests in front. USB port for mp3. More padding in seats for long trips. Somthing I have never seen in a car, Smokers portals that can open and turn on cabin presure to expele secound hand smoke and other oders. One by each window and one by each ash tray. A hot water dispenser for coffe and tea. A cold water dispenser for premixed beveages. A small ice maker to keep ice chest topped off . A built in air compressor for tires and raft with led lights and emergany light.

Vehicle is Passable, Service Stinks on Ice
By wschlagel

2008 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Vehicle had defect issues with respect to door handles. Within one week, three of the four door handles broke off in my hand.
Dealership claimed there was a recall, but used a recent ice storm to slither out of replacing the door handles.
Wanted to charge me $500 per door.
When asked about the fairness of doing such a thing, dealership shrugged me off and told me "you shouldn't have bought a used car".
Vehicle performance is marginal.
Acceleration isn't that great, almost no power.
Vehicle doesn't seem to handle speeds above 75 very well.
Mileage is terrible, but probably good for SUV.
Vehicle is roomy, and interior laid out well.

Vehicle is very roomy. Seems to hold together well, other than door issues and lack of power/fuel efficiency.

Issues with vehicle would not be a big deal if dealership (University Kia in Huntsville, AL) didn't resort to such underhanded tricks to weasel out of their obligations to repair a defective car. Truly horrid salesmanship and customer support - they really don't care about the customer once the sale has been made. One would even say their sales process is abusive to the customer. There is much more I wish to say about this - however, I am limited as to how many characters I can use, here.