2008 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Have I really become a Kia fan???
By dmblystone14 on 07/10/13 19:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

To be fair this is actually my girlfriend's car but I drive it almost as much as she does. Everything about this car is average: the interior, the exterior, the performance. Nothing impressive. But I have actually become a Kia fan because of the reliability. We've had this thing on several long road trips with no problems. Other than maintenance items and a transmission fluid change at 45k miles due to hard shifting this thing has never let us down. I have a rear-wheel drive V8 and am looking for an 4WD SUV for winter. I just might get a KIA Sportage of my own.

Non smoking Campers view 2008 sportage.
By 4wheels2move on 12/28/12 02:13 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This review do to recal on the 2007 sportage Going home from the dealership my check engine light went on. I read the manual. I checked for recalls on the web. I found one recall for brake sensor and took the 2008 kia back . I told them of the recall. Kia checked the computer and told me they had never had five sensors bad , reset my computer and sent me home. Light came on just down the street. I told them I thought it was the brake sensor. The computer said steering. They replaced it. Almost home check engine light again.I told them brake sensor gives false codes. They replaced pitch,yhaw, finaly the last the sensor a brake sensor done. When cruise control stopped working. Problem fixed

Vehicle is Passable, Service Stinks on Ice
By wschlagel on 07/12/11 23:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Vehicle had defect issues with respect to door handles. Within one week, three of the four door handles broke off in my hand. Dealership claimed there was a recall, but used a recent ice storm to slither out of replacing the door handles. Wanted to charge me $500 per door. When asked about the fairness of doing such a thing, dealership shrugged me off and told me "you shouldn't have bought a used car". Vehicle performance is marginal. Acceleration isn't that great, almost no power. Vehicle doesn't seem to handle speeds above 75 very well. Mileage is terrible, but probably good for SUV. Vehicle is roomy, and interior laid out well.

GREAT VALUE!
By nikki1274 on 02/22/11 11:13 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great car all in all. I bought it in Feb 09 for $15,000. I was looking at used cars and found this to be cheaper brand new than the used 4 cyl. 07 Ford Escape. I love the way it drives and it looks awesome. VERY SPORTY!!! My only complaints are the tires wore out around 20,000 miles and it cost around $700 to get 4 new ones! Kia told us that the tires for this vehicle are expensive and thats just the way it is. Gas mileage is my other complaint when i fist bought the car I was getting almost 23 on the highway and after replacing the tires with "gas saver" tires I now get about 19.5 highway. No one seems to know why the mileage has gone down. Except for those things I LOVE THIS CAR!

Solid & Reliable
By sanford on 02/27/10 17:36 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in July 2008. I was in a bind, had to get something quick, and couldn't afford hefty car payments. I got a good deal and went with it. For the price, it is a good car. Sturdy, reliable, solid. I have put 28,000 miles on it in 19 months and have not had it in the shop once- we won't mention the trip to the body shop after a silly accident in the snow, will we? I read reviews before purchasing but, worried about gas prices, still went with a 4 cyl. Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had paid the extra $800 for a 6 cyl. The interior is made with lots of rock hard plastic but, for the price, I would recommend this car to someone low on money yet desirious of an SUV.

Great Colorado SUV
By Jule on 02/17/10 14:02 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Volcanic red Sportage in May of 2008 after much comparison shopping for a small suv. Test drove the CRV,Rav4, Rogue, and Outlander. Based on price, comfort and mpg it came down to the Outlander and the Sportage. Rav was uncomfortable and noisy! Outlander didn't have a light colored interior and was priced a bit higher so went w/the KIA and got it for the same price as a 2007. I get 25-30 mpg(city to hwy). It has 18,700 miles and 3 oil changes on it. Runs great, no problems. Good in snow,rain and mountains. I scaled down from a Windstar minivan and am very happy w/my choice! Recently rented a Sorento and it was even more comfortable, smoother ride and quieter on the hwy Go KIA

Wonder Kia
By stevetye418 on 02/13/10 18:56 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was skeptical when I test drove this vehicle. Hopeful when I bought it. After owning it for two years I am extremely happy with it. I have had no problems and it goes everywhere I ask it to. Keyless entry would be nice, and a little more horsepower would improve it. However, I feel happy with vehicle and I WILL definitely buy another one. I was able to make the 25 mile commute to work with 6-8 inches of snow covering the roadway, no problems, it just powered right through.

High-country commuter
By CeBeU on 10/03/09 17:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Use/specs: A "commuter" to handle ~400 miles per week, consistent 5%-8% mountain grades transitioning between 6000' to 9200' elevation daily on everything from asphalt freeways to washboard/rutted high-country roads, AWD for heavy winter snows and recreational pursuits in the Rockies, acceptable MPG, reasonable build quality / warranty to survive for ~3yrs, pre-owned, low miles and inexpensive price-point. Other than the "twin" Tucson, nothing compares (for me anyway). Is it my "ideal" vehicle choice for these needs? No, but for the above this is/was an excellent buy. Highly recommended if you have similar needs.

Very happy with my sportage!
By tlk7005 on 08/11/09 05:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Quality, performance, and features for base model right up there with other manufacturer's such as Toyota, Hyundai, Ford, Honda, etc. in my experience. Reliability has been great! Have put 12,000 miles on in 7 mos. Dealer has been a pleasure to work with as has service dept. Avg gas mileage is 25, mostly hwy! Roomy and comfy, even back seat. And large dog fits in cargo space. Curious about handling in snow yet? Price can't be beat and dealer practically gave away the extended warranty as well, which, by the way, beats the competitions warranties by miles, literally and figuratively! Love my 2008 Sportage so much I just bought a new 2009 last weekend to go with it! This time it is a 4WD.

Bad Service
By richiegirl on 07/21/09 07:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 KIA Sportage EX just over 2 months ago. My vehicle was sitting in the parking lot at work against a wall with the window down and sunroof open I ran down 2 blocks to get lunch parked back against the wall and left 2 hrs later. When I returned to my vehicle my front windshield was broken not just a small crack. I contacted the dealership took the car in and was told they would replace under warranty. I had to go out of town so I made arrangements to call them when I returned, upon my return I was told they had changed their mind and I would have to pay for the windshield to be replaced.I had it checked by a glass company and it is a pressure break not damage from impact.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.