Used 2007 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2007 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Good, dependable, first car
By zach030283984

2007 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2007 Kia Sportage as my first car, and got it with 60,000 miles from my father in 2009, who had bought a new car. It was a little under a 150,000 miles when I totaled it the day before Christmas 2014. Slammed into a pickup at about 40 mph and I walked away without a scratch. If you had put a sheet across the window, you would have no idea the car was in a wreck, the cabin wasn't affected, even though the engine was smashed to pieces. I loved that thing to death. I loved it so much I ended up buying a 2005 sportage EX V6 after getting my insurance check. (basically the same car but with all the fancy trims) In that time it never failed to start, never broke down, and ran like a top.

Favorite Features

This car is reliable IF you stay on top of maintenance. Guys complaining about reliability clearly didn't take care of them. Mine ran like the day I got it even at a 150,000 miles because I never let it go over on oil changes or maintenance. Safety is a big plus, as I found out the hard way. It drives very well too, that Front wheel drive lets it stick to the road. I've driven it in a foot of snow in Minnesota, the winding roads of Kentucky, and long bouts of highway in between and never had a complaint about handling. 4 cylinder is decent on gas, if not the most powerful. You'd also be surprised how much you can fit in one of these. Everyone who's ridden in is impressed by it.

Suggested Improvements

4cylinder can be a bit weak on the highway, and will rev a bit high going over 70. This aint a Ferrari, don't drive it like an idiot and it will treat you well. It's a bit smaller for an SUV, but I never had an issue. Might be a bit small for a family car though. One heads up, something with the steering starts to go around 100-130 thousand miles. I was working on finding the cause when I had the wreck. Basically you'll get a loud squealing noise at times and the steering wheel can be a bit stiff when it first starts up. Mechanic said it'd be a $150 fix tops. It's done it in mine, and my mother's, a 2008, is starting to do it too. Only issue I had in over 150k of driving, not bad at all.

Mix if good and bad
By ken90004

2007 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After six years and 65,000 miles, we are sending off the last payment. It is nice to have a vehicle that outlasted the loan. Still under extended b-2-b for another 35,000 miles, so we can pay ourselves. This car will give you peave of mind One only issue we had a the A/C stopped working. It ended up being a loose bolt. We even towed a light pop-up with this, with no issues. It's been a great vehicle. Peppy off the line but slow on the highway. Good in the rain and snow. But the gas mileage is terrible for such a small engine. One of our better buys .

Favorite Features

rock solid reliablity. Peace of mind warranty

Suggested Improvements

gas milage is terrible for as engine this size. I have a 4-cyclinder suby that gets 30 mph driving 70mph. This is lucky to get 26 is I drive a solid 60mph. Its inthe upper twenties in town. About the same mph as a Ford Ecoboost F150.

Very Happy with this car
By jacee

2007 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this new in Feb. 2007 with only 4 miles on it. In 5 years I only had one breakdown. The starter went out last year about 50k. I did not try to use the warranty just had it replaced. I have kept up all maint.. Including the expensive timing belt and water pump. That was 1600 but I also replaced the battery and serpintine belt. Anyway the car is not a hot rod but will get you out in traffic. Gas mileage is best at 55 to 60 mph. Drove it on hwy at 75mpg and gas mileage plummeted. Still get about 21 city/hwy. Drive well, very comfortable and love the storage capacity. I am at 66k miles now still no problems.

Favorite Features

Decent gas mileage depending on how you drive. Very comfortable and great storage capacity. Easy to get in and out of as you get older and or heavier.

Suggested Improvements

I do wish that it had more pep to it or as a trade off better gas mileage.

Not Happy :-/
By 07kiaowner1

2007 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just got the car about two weeks ago. i had a 2001 chevy suburban and with todays gas prices i was ready for a gas saver. The dealership told me the gas mileage was 22 city and 27 highway. i was truly excited about the car till i went out of town the first time. in fifth gear going 70mph my rpm is running about 3000!!! when i checked my gas mileage i got 23 mpg and nothing but highway no city driving at all!!!! i get 21 mpg in town very happy with that but highway sucks im a 22 year old college student that still cant afford the trips home to see family thanks to a lie of a dealership and the poor gas miles of my new kia :(

Suggested Improvements

gearing the car so that its not over working to do the posted speed limit!!!

Fabulous SUV
By wmackay

2007 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Love this SUV. After driving domestic vehicles for the past 10 years, Dodge Caravan, Pontiac Sunfire and some others including SUV's decided to go with a Kia. Previously had 2 Toyota Camry's 93 and 94 wagons which were great. Purchased a 2007 with 18,000 miles on it. Previous owner had absolutely NO problems with it. I've owned it for 3 years now and it has about 45,000 miles on it. The only problem I've had was one caliper having to be replaced. It's a dream to drive in the Canadian winters. Much better traction than some of the 4wd vehicles with the Michelin winter tires. Will NEVER go back to a domestic vehicle. Seems like these sites get all the negative on them but mine is +.