Used 2006 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Best of many vehicles I have owned
By Ron

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

As a senior citizen who has owned many vehicles, I am hard to please. This vehicle has really impressed me though. Very utilitarian, comfortable, practical, dependable so far and fun to drive to boot. Would buy another in a minute. Only downside is gas mileage of 21 mpg, but we drive mostly in urban areas. Have taken a couple of short trips and the vehicle can hold its own on the interstates too.

Great value for the money and love the long warranty.

20 mph jumps on speedometer markings is cheesy.

From point A to B and a little more
By AF Family

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am very pleased with my Kia Sportage for the first 7800 miles. I think the interior is roomy and fits five people comfortably. Love the body style it--looks beefy compared to other small SUV's. Upgraded to a V6 to tow a couple of quads. Though I haven't towed with it yet, power seems readily available. I do mostly highway driving and it handles very well on back roads and switchbacks. It has some get up and go to pass vehicles. Can't wait to do some 4 wheelin' in it. I am very happy to see that I am getting the mileage they suggested on the window sticker, 19 city and 23 highway. It took a while to get used to the 10mph increments on the speedometer. Cruise control is a breeze to use.

One of my favorite features is body style. It is sporty and not a larger SUV. I also like the shiftronic transmission. Touch 4WD is great! Stereo system sounds pretty good for stock radio. The tray in the back is great for storing items. The flat fold backseats are great for hauling big items.

I think the cloth seats are of moderate quality. I also wish the interior plastic components were of a much tougher/harder surface. The surface areas of the doors and dash scuff easily. They could improve in the mileage category. Sun visors could be longer and wider. Real spare tire would be a plus.

EXCELLENT CAR
By PAUL

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car. Plenty of power with the V6 engine. Drove to Pittsburgh from New York and then to upstate Saratoga NY. Averaged 25 mpg on the highway with the air conditioner on full blast. A real fun and easy car to drive. No real complaints to date.

The whole car.

Seats to be a little more comfortable.

Love my Kia
By JENin5280

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Kia. My first was a 2003 Sorento that I loved dearly, it just started getting expensive to maintain. So I "downgraded" or so I thought. I am always impressed with Kia and my Sportage is no exception. Gas mileage improves with every tank. Great, smooth ride. I drove 3 different Hondas and no one ever pulled up next to me at a light to ask me about my Honda, but they have about both of my Kia's. People are curious. I love my Sportage, I loved my Sorento and I would recommend them to anyone. Oh, and I took it up to Breckenridge and over Loveland Pass a month ago and it performed flawlessly.

I LOVE the color, 4wd, heated leather seats and mirrors. I love how the seats flip down in this Sportage. Easy for the dogs to jump in. I am going to throw a few cool aftermarket items on my car and it will truly be awesome.

The only problem I've had so far is my rear windshield wiper being broken off at the car wash (they bought me a new one). The 6 disc in dash CD player is WAY slower then the one in the Sorento. I miss my steering wheel stereo controls, which weren't an option on the Sportage. That's it!

Don`t be a leadfoot!
By badbri1

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am writing because there seems to be issues with a lot of folks about the gas mileage they are getting with their Sportages. I WAS averaging about 18.6 mpg at first. But after the first month and a half, and driving it like I had 1 gallon left in the tank, I was pleasantly surprised to see my mileage increase to 24.3 average mpg. I have noticed that despite HIGH gas prices, it doesn`t seem to slow anyone down...why? I think if most of you just stopped romping on the gas, you would find the mileage posted for the vehicle is quite accurate, and you should be doing your part to save fuel anyway. Stop trying to race everyone, and you`ll pay a lot less. I absolutely LOVE this vehicle; you should too!

The stereo, the interior design, the fold flat rear-seats. The overall styling, the "nice car!" quotes I get all the time. The window tint, roof rack, the sunroof, and the warranty. I haven`t found anything I don`t like!

None...maybe in the future make it more of a 4x4 if possible, but this model needs no improvement. Mine is Volcanic Red with Beige Mochalatte interior....sweeeeet!

• SUV