Used 2006 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2006 Kia Sportage SUV

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Great Little Truck
By lg

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We owned a Ford Escape and bought this as our second vehicle. It quickly became our first vehicle. The ride is great it handles great and it comes with so many standard safety features. The ride is so much better than the Escape and a lot quieter too. Really fun to drive. We liked it so much that we traded our 2004 Escape in for another Kia product, the Sorento.

Favorite Features

All of the standard safety features. Classy looking interior.

Suggested Improvements

Larger fuel tank.

Tough little SUV
By Gus in NC

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We traded in a 05 Sedonna, and bought this Sportage new. It is a nice vehicle, comfortable, good driving manners. It has everything we could ask for in an SUV. V-6 engine has plenty of power. Haven't had any problems with it at all. We have it serviced at the dealership, and have had nothing but outstanding workmanship out of the dealership. My wife drives it daily to work, and we have taken it on several trips, with virtually no problems. Gas mileage ranges from 19 to 21 in town and 23 to 25 on the road at speeds up to 70mph. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, and heated outside mirrors. radio w/6cd changer is really nice on the road(don't have to search for radio stations). Leather seats are very comfortable, esp. on a long trip.

Suggested Improvements

Need more cubby holes up front, cup holders are in a rather awkward place,and kind of lacking in luggage space in back with the seats up.

Love this car!
By lorijohnston

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd Kia I have owned, and I my 2nd positive review for this company. I bought my Kia brand new in 2006 with about 16 miles on the odometer. I currently have about 60K on this vehicle and it is still running beautifully. No major problems, decent gas mileage and plenty of room for my husband, two kids and 90-pound labrador retriever. With the 5-speed manual transmission, we don't seem to have the power issues that have been mentioned in previous reviews.

Favorite Features

Cruise control with a manual transmission; multiple 'plugs' for my kids to plug in a portable DVD player or charge their hand held video games; decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

How about making a hybrid version of the Sportage?

not happy
By thomas89

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2006 KIA Sportage 2.7 v6 4x4. I like the car but lately it has not been good. I only have 19000 mile on it and keep it in a garage. At 18000 miles the engine started to miss and the check engine light came on. I took it to the KIA dealer and after 5 visits and changing parts that did not fix it and paying for them, they finally fixed it by changing the plugs and the ignition wires. I was charged 5 times the price I would have paid at Auto Barn or Pep Boys. For what KIA charges for the plugs and wires they should last a lot, lot longer then 18000 miles and they should have changed them first. These parts should have been changed under the warranty.

Best valued Mid Sized SUV for the money
By MJP53

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We looked at all of the players; Rav4, CRV, Focus, BMW X3, Tuscon, etc. This was by far the best car for the money. It's comfortable, gets good gas mileage, great on trips and handles like a dream. This is a well engineered vehicle. It also has the best warranty in the industry.

Favorite Features

Styling, seats, handling

Suggested Improvements

Power seats on the EX