Used 2006 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Good car
By Stillalive

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was a great mid$ car. Was totaled in crash, and all crumple zones and air bags saved me! Never had any issues with this car. Owned it from 47k to 74k miles. Btw, I paid $9500, and after 14 months, ins paid $8300. Book value went UP even with 27k more miles on it. Avg. 24 mpg mostly freeway. For you gear heads, there is about a 1400 rpm drop between gears. 3800 rpm in 5th gets you about 72 mph on flats. You'll need to drop 1 on hills. Great car for the $.

Well i guess that would be all the airbags, front and side. This car is what it is, nothing to brag about, but also nothing to be ashamed of.

Manual trans. could use a 6th gear for freeway driving. Think it could get 28+mpg with a 6th. Bad antenna design. Only got a few least fav stations and no AM.

Love it!
By kirisma

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my 2004 Ford Ranger because I needed more room. I didn't want to trade but I am so glad I did. I LOVE this 2006 Kia Sportage. It is comfortable, quiet and fun to drive. Even my large (6 ft+, 300 lb) husband was comfortable on the long drive we took this last weekend. First half of trip he was the passenger, second half he was the driver.

Sunroof, dash, seats, handling. I LOVE all of it!

Wish it had better gas mileage, but that is the only thing.

2006 kia sportage fwd-problems
By Nanna56

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my KIA and loved it until 2 mo. after purchase, I left for Pa. to visit family. One hr. from destination it started shorting out. Acted like running out of gas-had half a tank. Had it towed to KIA Dealership, was told it was a filed out spark plug. Only replaced 1 spark plug. Went back to Vt. no problem. One month later left for Fl. One hour before destination started doing the same thing. Towed to KIA Dealership, after 3 days and a $250.00 car rental bill was told the problem was fuel pump. Has been fine since. Now my key will not turn in ignition everytime. Just came from KIA Dealership and will cost me $250.00- $300.00 for ignition.

Style,comfort & stereo.

Only get 21mpg & cup holders inconvenant.

Tough little SUV
By Gus in NC

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We traded in a 05 Sedonna, and bought this Sportage new. It is a nice vehicle, comfortable, good driving manners. It has everything we could ask for in an SUV. V-6 engine has plenty of power. Haven't had any problems with it at all. We have it serviced at the dealership, and have had nothing but outstanding workmanship out of the dealership. My wife drives it daily to work, and we have taken it on several trips, with virtually no problems. Gas mileage ranges from 19 to 21 in town and 23 to 25 on the road at speeds up to 70mph. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Heated seats, and heated outside mirrors. radio w/6cd changer is really nice on the road(don't have to search for radio stations). Leather seats are very comfortable, esp. on a long trip.

Need more cubby holes up front, cup holders are in a rather awkward place,and kind of lacking in luggage space in back with the seats up.

Just bought an '06 Sportage!
By Big Dog

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I own 2 '02 Honda CR-V's AWD, and thought they were the neatest things on wheels. Mileage got high on one, and I looked at newer CR-V's- the '07's seem not to be as relaible or have as good ride- so looked at '06-'07 Sportage. WOW! Far better ride- larger interior, more power than CR-V,better quality ride and comfort. Much better steering- much easier, and a far better AWD system. I can lock in 4WD from a stop- CR-V must have wheel spin first. This is just a superior vehicle all around. I got a great price, and repspectful service from dealer, plus warranty. Car was so clean, I thought it was new when I picked it up last Saturday!

Love 4WD button! Donnie Allen at Lifetime KIA in Murphy, N.C.had us back up very steep incline to show how effect the KIA awd system is. Good visibility, Stereo good, seats more comfortable on long ride than Honda's. AC very cold- heat is quick- appears to be very reliable,looks great.Stable ride!

More mileage? I'm getting 23 mpg at 70- 80 miles hour- not bad! My Honda only got 24. Needs more small storage nooks- Honda has 5-6 places in front- KIA has mainly the glove box, 2 drink holders.