Used 2006 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

not happy
By thomas89

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2006 KIA Sportage 2.7 v6 4x4. I like the car but lately it has not been good. I only have 19000 mile on it and keep it in a garage. At 18000 miles the engine started to miss and the check engine light came on. I took it to the KIA dealer and after 5 visits and changing parts that did not fix it and paying for them, they finally fixed it by changing the plugs and the ignition wires. I was charged 5 times the price I would have paid at Auto Barn or Pep Boys. For what KIA charges for the plugs and wires they should last a lot, lot longer then 18000 miles and they should have changed them first. These parts should have been changed under the warranty.

The Perfect Car
By sportagelover2

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 2 KIA's and loved them both. My 2006 Sportage has almost 200k on it and still going strong. I would never buy another kind of car. My next one with be a 4 wheel drive now that I live in the mountains. Thank you KIA keep up the great work! PS Try working on the rear end safety :)

Love this car!
By lorijohnston

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd Kia I have owned, and I my 2nd positive review for this company. I bought my Kia brand new in 2006 with about 16 miles on the odometer. I currently have about 60K on this vehicle and it is still running beautifully. No major problems, decent gas mileage and plenty of room for my husband, two kids and 90-pound labrador retriever. With the 5-speed manual transmission, we don't seem to have the power issues that have been mentioned in previous reviews.

Favorite Features

Cruise control with a manual transmission; multiple 'plugs' for my kids to plug in a portable DVD player or charge their hand held video games; decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

How about making a hybrid version of the Sportage?

Good car
By Stillalive

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was a great mid$ car. Was totaled in crash, and all crumple zones and air bags saved me! Never had any issues with this car. Owned it from 47k to 74k miles. Btw, I paid $9500, and after 14 months, ins paid $8300. Book value went UP even with 27k more miles on it. Avg. 24 mpg mostly freeway. For you gear heads, there is about a 1400 rpm drop between gears. 3800 rpm in 5th gets you about 72 mph on flats. You'll need to drop 1 on hills. Great car for the $.

Favorite Features

Well i guess that would be all the airbags, front and side. This car is what it is, nothing to brag about, but also nothing to be ashamed of.

Suggested Improvements

Manual trans. could use a 6th gear for freeway driving. Think it could get 28+mpg with a 6th. Bad antenna design. Only got a few least fav stations and no AM.

Love it!
By kirisma

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my 2004 Ford Ranger because I needed more room. I didn't want to trade but I am so glad I did. I LOVE this 2006 Kia Sportage. It is comfortable, quiet and fun to drive. Even my large (6 ft+, 300 lb) husband was comfortable on the long drive we took this last weekend. First half of trip he was the passenger, second half he was the driver.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, dash, seats, handling. I LOVE all of it!

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had better gas mileage, but that is the only thing.