2006 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
not happy
By thomas89 on 08/19/13 18:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2006 KIA Sportage 2.7 v6 4x4. I like the car but lately it has not been good. I only have 19000 mile on it and keep it in a garage. At 18000 miles the engine started to miss and the check engine light came on. I took it to the KIA dealer and after 5 visits and changing parts that did not fix it and paying for them, they finally fixed it by changing the plugs and the ignition wires. I was charged 5 times the price I would have paid at Auto Barn or Pep Boys. For what KIA charges for the plugs and wires they should last a lot, lot longer then 18000 miles and they should have changed them first. These parts should have been changed under the warranty.

The Perfect Car
By sportagelover2 on 12/26/12 04:31 AM (PST)

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 2 KIA's and loved them both. My 2006 Sportage has almost 200k on it and still going strong. I would never buy another kind of car. My next one with be a 4 wheel drive now that I live in the mountains. Thank you KIA keep up the great work! PS Try working on the rear end safety :)

Love this car!
By lorijohnston on 07/21/11 12:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd Kia I have owned, and I my 2nd positive review for this company. I bought my Kia brand new in 2006 with about 16 miles on the odometer. I currently have about 60K on this vehicle and it is still running beautifully. No major problems, decent gas mileage and plenty of room for my husband, two kids and 90-pound labrador retriever. With the 5-speed manual transmission, we don't seem to have the power issues that have been mentioned in previous reviews.

Good car
By Stillalive on 09/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was a great mid$ car. Was totaled in crash, and all crumple zones and air bags saved me! Never had any issues with this car. Owned it from 47k to 74k miles. Btw, I paid $9500, and after 14 months, ins paid $8300. Book value went UP even with 27k more miles on it. Avg. 24 mpg mostly freeway. For you gear heads, there is about a 1400 rpm drop between gears. 3800 rpm in 5th gets you about 72 mph on flats. You'll need to drop 1 on hills. Great car for the $.

Love it!
By kirisma on 08/17/10 18:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my 2004 Ford Ranger because I needed more room. I didn't want to trade but I am so glad I did. I LOVE this 2006 Kia Sportage. It is comfortable, quiet and fun to drive. Even my large (6 ft+, 300 lb) husband was comfortable on the long drive we took this last weekend. First half of trip he was the passenger, second half he was the driver.

2006 kia sportage fwd-problems
By Nanna56 on 05/19/10 08:01 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my KIA and loved it until 2 mo. after purchase, I left for Pa. to visit family. One hr. from destination it started shorting out. Acted like running out of gas-had half a tank. Had it towed to KIA Dealership, was told it was a filed out spark plug. Only replaced 1 spark plug. Went back to Vt. no problem. One month later left for Fl. One hour before destination started doing the same thing. Towed to KIA Dealership, after 3 days and a $250.00 car rental bill was told the problem was fuel pump. Has been fine since. Now my key will not turn in ignition everytime. Just came from KIA Dealership and will cost me $250.00- $300.00 for ignition.

Tough little SUV
By Gus in NC on 02/28/10 09:07 AM (PST)

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We traded in a 05 Sedonna, and bought this Sportage new. It is a nice vehicle, comfortable, good driving manners. It has everything we could ask for in an SUV. V-6 engine has plenty of power. Haven't had any problems with it at all. We have it serviced at the dealership, and have had nothing but outstanding workmanship out of the dealership. My wife drives it daily to work, and we have taken it on several trips, with virtually no problems. Gas mileage ranges from 19 to 21 in town and 23 to 25 on the road at speeds up to 70mph. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Just bought an '06 Sportage!
By Big Dog on 10/19/09 11:04 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I own 2 '02 Honda CR-V's AWD, and thought they were the neatest things on wheels. Mileage got high on one, and I looked at newer CR-V's- the '07's seem not to be as relaible or have as good ride- so looked at '06-'07 Sportage. WOW! Far better ride- larger interior, more power than CR-V,better quality ride and comfort. Much better steering- much easier, and a far better AWD system. I can lock in 4WD from a stop- CR-V must have wheel spin first. This is just a superior vehicle all around. I got a great price, and repspectful service from dealer, plus warranty. Car was so clean, I thought it was new when I picked it up last Saturday!

A bad choice
By J on 08/27/09 10:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV new 3 years ago, and liked it. However recently it started stalling when I tried to stop at traffic lights. A Kia dealership could not figure out what the problem was. The situation happens from time to time but nobody can fix it! It's a dangerous car.

Very good value but with subpar engine
By H Vu on 06/14/09 15:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used with 19k miles at a dealership for only $12k and it is still under factory warranty. This is a loaded EX 2wd model. It is a vibrant blue color and looks great inside and out. The car is relatively quiet and comfortable and fit and finish appears to be very good. I do have a problem with one of the rear passenger interior door handles not working, but I can just take that in any time to get it fixed. The interior leather seems to be very durable and should up up to many years of use. The premium stereo system sounds good, though loading and unloading cds into the 6-disc changer is very slow and cumbersome. Exterior lighting is very bright, both headlights and tail.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.