2005 Kia Sportage LX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2005 Sportage Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Sort Reviews by

looking for something else
By angryKowner

2005 Kia Sportage SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

At first I loved it, despite the fact that at the dealer when I had to take it back for a missing cup holder and a wash that didn't happen. It was dry wiped but once I got home and decided to wash it myself I saw why, they had ran into something, a dent and some scratches with yellow paint was on it. But I let it go, it had been christened. Not even 2 years old yet and has been towed twice during this winter weather. First they said it was frozen and or flooded. Second time they did a fuel induction ($171.00 out of pocket) thinking that was the cause of it not wanting to start...not. The next time it didn't start I used a blanket to cover the engine over night, it started! Silly but true.

Favorite Features

It has diminished to just the head and leg room and the cd player sound. I had planned on taking a long drive to Georgia when I thought it handled well and would be dependable. Now I wouldn't dare go 40 miles away from home in it. So much for my anniversary gift. My 1996 Toyota is more dependable.

Suggested Improvements

At this point I would have to say they need to go back to the drawing board and revamp the engine. Last year was a mild winter and it ran ok, this winter it would not start on the cold days and it had nothing to do with the battery or the hazardous material they said was in the fuel line.

Love it!
By ccordes

2005 Kia Sportage SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We actually traded in our Sorento for the Sportage because of the better gas mileage and couldn't be happier. It's a cute little SUV that you can get for a great price. We've had it for almost two years now and driven halfway across the country in it and haven't had any problems with it. The only reason we might get rid of this is because of our expanding family. It would be a tight squeeze with two carseats or a carseat and a booster seat and luggage for four!

Great Little SUV
By sportage

2005 Kia Sportage SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Sportage that I have purchased and have enjoyed everything about both cars. The first was a 2000 model and was very happily surprised when the 2005 model came out. Purchased in a hurry and have not been disappointed. Would recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

The comfortable interior and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Offer moon roof and back seat air conditioning.

My first import and love it
By Pam

2005 Kia Sportage SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first import and love it. I as unhappy with GM, Ford, and Chrysler so went import. I have not had any problems with my Kia, great driving, handles great. Even in snow, the Sportage handles very good. Gas mileage could be better, something for Korea to work on.

Favorite Features

Fold down seats in back for more storage room.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better. I was hoping for much better, getting 19.3 in city and 24.4 on the highway.

Not a "Throw-Away Car"
By jmc

2005 Kia Sportage SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife's sister-in-law told her that Kias were cheap "Throw-Away cars." After 15 months and 30,000 miles this so called "throw-away" car with a 5 year 100,000 power train warranty has put her Ford minivan with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty to shame. Her minivan will be thrown away long before this Sportage.

Favorite Features

Cup holders everywhere, cargo space, easy to park, fun to drive, manual shift automatic transmission, six air bags.

Took a chance and it is paying off!
By Dan

2005 Kia Sportage SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I researched this car and 3 other compact SUVs (CR-V, Rav4, Escape). The Kia was near the bottom in price but head and shoulders above the others in features. The only thing concerning me was the name. Kia doesn't exactly scream reliability...yet. I took a chance thinking the 10 year warranty was a good fall back if things didn't go well. After almost a year and 15k+ miles I am pleased in my choice. Have had no problems with the vehicle, only visit the dealer to change oil every 5k miles as the filter is exotic & expensive at a parts shop. Get compliments all the time on style, people think it is a luxury suv. Didn't want to review early just in case, but after a year this is an awesome buy!

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior styling, safety, interior room, safety, comfort, fun to drive, safety, adequate power, warranty, sun roof, safety, stereo/cd/mp3 player, oh, and all the airbags...which I guess would be safety.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a tad more power, but better gas mileage (I know, can't please me either way)! Get rid of the ash tray in the back, who smokes in the back seat of a car? Not enough dedicated Kia dealerships around - have to share with another manufacturer, which means Kia is often a red-headed step child.

Kia is reliability...
By Big Ski

2005 Kia Sportage SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great vehicle! I am 6'6" and the CR-V nor the RAV-4 had any space for me. A big plus is the price. I got what I wanted and stayed BELOW what I wanted to spend. My wife and I own a Sedona already as well and that has held up great as well.

Favorite Features

Interior room, nice sound system, good pick-up on V6.

Suggested Improvements

No sunroof option (dealer will install one for $1300 on LX model).

Big SUV feel
By MattH

2005 Kia Sportage SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We were looking for a used SUV, when we stumbled upon this one. It had just come out, but it immediately caught our attention. Most of the suvs we had driven in the small segment, felt just that, small. But this surprised us with its solid feel, and impressive craftsmanship. We are somewhat brand conscious people, so this SUV really had to win us over to get past the KIA name. But we have had it well over a year, and it still performs wonderfully. I fully expect it to out live its 10 year warranty.

Favorite Features

Interior quality, extras without the price. Ride quality. Workmanship.

Suggested Improvements

Slightly more power would be nice. Hard to find correct air filter (in my area).

Kia Sportage 2005
By notimeoff

2005 Kia Sportage SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The Sportage is a pleasure to own and drive. The service from my local dealer is great. Plenty of power with the v6. The 4 cylinder I test drove had a lackluster motor.

Favorite Features

Has everything you need to take you family or yourself on any trip. With comfort in mind.

Suggested Improvements

I might suggest smoke tint on windows. I did this aftermarket.

Great Car, Great Price!
By Josh

2005 Kia Sportage SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Sportage for almost a year, and I love it. It is the best car I have ever owned, and you can't beat the warranty. Drives great and looks like a more expensive SUV. I would definitely buy another Kia, they have really stepped up their U.S. models lately!

Favorite Features

ManuMatic transmission, fold flat rear seats (one motion folds them completely into the floor board), sound system, heated mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage (it's not terrible, but could be a little better), more accessories available, keyless entry remote needs to be redesigned (hard to unlock all doors sometimes).