Used 2005 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2005 Kia Sportage SUV

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

I was surprised!
By Ann

2005 Kia Sportage SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I did a lot of research and comparison shopping before buying my KIA Sportage EX w/ leather package. My gut wanted to get a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 for the obvious reasons, but neither had the features, ride, price, or warranty that won me over with the Sportage. I also live in the city and for practical reasons a hatchback was a MUST for me - not a side opening trunk. I almost bought the Hyundai Tucson (identical to the Sportage), but just prefered some of the slight styling & gadgets in the Sportage better (ie. different trunk covers). So far it has lived up to my expectations. Definitely has the best features and warranty for the best price.

Favorite Features

I can fit into ANY parking space, hatchback, all seats fold down flat w/o having to take the headrests off, lots of cargo space, V6, very spacious even in backseat, ALL the safety features, interior feels luxurious, 5YR bumper- bumper, 5YR roadside, 10YR powertrain warranty. EX features are worth it.

Suggested Improvements

V6 is good but could use even more pep. I'm getting 18-19 city and 23-25 hwy. With gas $$ these days fuel economy can always be better. I'd like to see a hybrid.

excellent car all around
By eric nees

2005 Kia Sportage SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

just moved across the country about 2700 miles in 4 days. car towed a trailer wiht no problem. of course with in factory specs. ran real well up and down hills. would recommend to a friend.

Favorite Features

tach, fold down seats, trans.

Suggested Improvements

radio controls on steering wheel,rear a/c and heat ducts, better cup holders,height adjustment on seat

Love my Kia
By Charlie & Amy

2005 Kia Sportage SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We looked at many GM SUVs. The prices with a limited warranty was outrageous. This is our first non GM vehicle. So far we love it. The 100,000 warranty sold me. Hopefully we will continue to love it and we will have a long relationship with Kia. The prices are $4000-$10,000 less than GM.

Favorite Features

MP3, Sunroof, awesome smooth ride

nice car
By jack

2005 Kia Sportage SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I recently traded in a 2002 Honda cr-v for a Kia. The reason I traded in the Honda was because of some very annoying rattles in the dash area. Took it in 3 times and it was never found, and that's the problem with rattles. Nothing more than a defect that can't be fixed. Of course, I'm hoping the same doesn't happen with the Kia.

Favorite Features

elegant, roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Overall it's a pretty competitive car

Great Car
By Chris

2005 Kia Sportage SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Traded in my Chrysler 300C for this SUV because I bought a house and wanted cheaper payments. This car is outstanding. Rides like a car (smooth), decent power and looks great. The fit & finish is excellent, AC is powerful and the radio rocks! I think it looks better than it's sister...the Hyundai Tuscon. The only negative is it's name...Kia. I really like this car and the pro reviews have been positive. Only time will tell if the reliabilty is there...the warranty is great and I purchased an extended warranty as well. The car has a fair amount of understeer so zipping in and out of traffic at 80 mph when I'm late for work is a little nerve wracking. I can't wait for snow.

Favorite Features

Styling, climate control, stereo, sunroof, all wheel drive. Great car ride for an SUV. Has all wheel drive. Excellent fit & finish. Long warranty. Inexpensive. Engine doesn't sound like it's going to explode when you punch it.

Suggested Improvements

Moderate understeer. The name Kia symbolizes cheap Korean car at this time. Hopefully this SUV will change the reputation.