2005 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Don't knock it 'til you try it!
By jordans_stang on 03/31/14 08:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sportage EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am impressed. My wife and I have a 2012 Mustang and a 2013 Elantra and decided we wanted a cheap 3rd car to go off-roading and camping. I was so impressed with our Elantra that I decided to look at Sportages and Tucsons. I found that Sportages were listed cheaper, so I tested one. I actually really loved so much about it and so did my wife so we got it for such a good deal. It has so many features for a 2005! We took it up the mountain in 4 inches of fresh snow and it never slipped once--even going up steep hills. It easily tackled rocky and bumpy steep hills, too. I am more than impressed and cannot wait to go camping in the next few months. It has 125,000 miles on it and runs so smooth!

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By pattistolar on 07/18/13 06:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sportage EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my 2005 Sportage. I've had it since it was 6 months old and it's never given me any problems whatsoever! It's 8 years old now, with 160,000 km and is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Just change the oil and it just keeps on going. Great in the snow too with just all seasons tires. Yay for Kia!!

2005 Kia Sportage LX 2.7L V6 Automatic
By pjwildes on 10/11/12 09:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sportage LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used 3 yrs ago with 48000 on it. Just turned 100,000. I have only needed to replace tires, brakes, & timing belt assembly recommended at 100,000, & rear wheel bearing. I love this little Sportage! Gets 18 to 24 mpg depending on winter or summer. I put tow package on it for my pop up camper, pulls easily. Issues I have is the parking lights burn out constantly, and the hatch door latches are somewhat stuck, odd. Runs great, it's peppy! Regular oil changes & tire rotations are the only "maintenance" I've had to perform. Wish it had a higher towing capacity for the V-6 but learned its because it has a light-duty rear axle. Can't speak for the newer Sportages, but this one is awesome!

Used 2005 Kia Sportage
By angel_machine on 08/02/12 14:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sportage EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I just purchased a 2005 Kia Sportage, pre-owned, with 135k miles, due to our limited budget. The Carfax didn't list any maintenance, and the test-drive and subsequent independent pre-purchase inspection confirmed that there were problems. The timing belt system had not been replaced at 100k miles, the battery was original (and died right after purchase), and the A/C was non-functional. We were able to knock off a lot from the price due to all the work that needed to be done (most of it simply maintenance that was put off, not true issues). A/C problem due to climate control module and is being replaced. Hoping we don't regret this purchase.

First Impressions on the Sportage
By candjfields on 08/22/10 11:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sportage EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my 2005 Kia Sportage (EX w/ V6 and 4WD) late August w/ 66k mi. Very impressed by the interior quality. Leather seats (heated) are comfortable and controls are easily accessible. Impressed by the engine, as it has a good amount of power for 2.7 liter. "Sport shift" shines when upshifting. Downshifts w/ the Sport shift seem to be overly harsh in lower RPM ranges (under 3K). Two car seats fit easily in the back seats. So far, a good purchase.

Never Ever had a problem
By clash9898 on 02/20/10 19:01 PM (PST)

2005 Kia Sportage LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The Kia Sportage is great. I have had mine since it came out and never had a single problem with it. it's fun to drive especially when i use the manual with the auto clutch. it gets great gas millage and performs great in snow with its 4wd. all around a great vehicle and i respect Kia because of it's performance and reliability.

KIA REALY IS THE POWER TO SURPRISE
By Juilo Porven on 12/04/09 12:13 PM (PST)

2005 Kia Sportage LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle before I moved out from Florida to North Carolina. I have made several road trips with this car and it has never giving me a problem. I maintain it at the dealership and have done every required service when it is due. The service I get is better than some Lexus or Mercedes dealerships. I also own a 06 Rio Sedan and have been very happy with it also. Like most folk I did the researsh on this vehicle and compared it to the Honda's and Toyota's. But when you look at the warranty and the value for your dollar the KIA Sportage wins hands down. I would recommend this vehicle to any one that wants a good SUV at a great price.

3 years and still love it!
By Bakersfield Joe on 09/17/09 01:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sportage EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have not had any probs with this car whatsover! Total confidence in it! Drive it to Vegas from central California all the time and never ever worry! I did have the brakes replaced once at 40k now with over 60k everything still runs awesome! I have the 6cyl and mileage ranges from 18-22mpg. And it's really stylish!

Why I buying another Sportage
By BOB PECK on 08/14/09 15:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sportage EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The KIA Sportage pleases everyone in our family. The gas mileage is excellent @ 20 in city and 27 hwy with a V6! The ride is absolutely excellent. We enjoy the flexibility of the interior for hauling golf clubs and whatever. The KIA gets many compliments from everyone who rides in it. I am so pleased that after 41,000 miles it has had no issues whatsoever. Just change the oil and put gas in it. I recommend the Sportage to anyone who wants a fun, reliable small SUV.

Mixed Feeklings
By KIAKURSE on 03/15/09 17:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sportage EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The check engine light has been on from day one. I spent too much time at the dealer attempting to resolve the problem. I have just under 100,000 miles and the transmission is being replaced for the third and last time, since I don't plan to keep it to have the fourth one installed.