Used 2005 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Don't knock it 'til you try it!
By jordans_stang

2005 Kia Sportage EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am impressed. My wife and I have a 2012 Mustang and a 2013 Elantra and decided we wanted a cheap 3rd car to go off-roading and camping. I was so impressed with our Elantra that I decided to look at Sportages and Tucsons. I found that Sportages were listed cheaper, so I tested one. I actually really loved so much about it and so did my wife so we got it for such a good deal. It has so many features for a 2005! We took it up the mountain in 4 inches of fresh snow and it never slipped once--even going up steep hills. It easily tackled rocky and bumpy steep hills, too. I am more than impressed and cannot wait to go camping in the next few months. It has 125,000 miles on it and runs so smooth!

Everything. I do have to say, I love that KIA took advantage of the little things, too. There are grocery bag holders in the back, storage compartments under the cargo area, and back seats that recline to a perfect position.

As I stated before, for a 2005 I am beyond impressed. Front, side, curtain airbags, stability control, and traction control all standard?! My 2012 Mustang doesn't even have curtain airbags. I would only suggest maybe that they should have made it a 5 speed auto, or at least made the 5 speed manual available with the V6 AWD--then I would have been 100% in heaven. Overall though, I see very little that needs improvement.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By pattistolar

2005 Kia Sportage EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my 2005 Sportage. I've had it since it was 6 months old and it's never given me any problems whatsoever! It's 8 years old now, with 160,000 km and is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Just change the oil and it just keeps on going. Great in the snow too with just all seasons tires. Yay for Kia!!

2005 Kia Sportage LX 2.7L V6 Automatic
By pjwildes

2005 Kia Sportage LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used 3 yrs ago with 48000 on it. Just turned 100,000. I have only needed to replace tires, brakes, & timing belt assembly recommended at 100,000, & rear wheel bearing. I love this little Sportage! Gets 18 to 24 mpg depending on winter or summer. I put tow package on it for my pop up camper, pulls easily. Issues I have is the parking lights burn out constantly, and the hatch door latches are somewhat stuck, odd. Runs great, it's peppy! Regular oil changes & tire rotations are the only "maintenance" I've had to perform. Wish it had a higher towing capacity for the V-6 but learned its because it has a light-duty rear axle. Can't speak for the newer Sportages, but this one is awesome!

Adorable body style. Comfortable front seats. Split rear seats that go down for more cargo room. Peppy acceleration.

Better rear hatch assembly hardware that lasts. Maybe a more heavy-duty rear axle that matches the V-6 motor ability to tow more weight.

Used 2005 Kia Sportage
By angel_machine

2005 Kia Sportage EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I just purchased a 2005 Kia Sportage, pre-owned, with 135k miles, due to our limited budget. The Carfax didn't list any maintenance, and the test-drive and subsequent independent pre-purchase inspection confirmed that there were problems. The timing belt system had not been replaced at 100k miles, the battery was original (and died right after purchase), and the A/C was non-functional. We were able to knock off a lot from the price due to all the work that needed to be done (most of it simply maintenance that was put off, not true issues). A/C problem due to climate control module and is being replaced. Hoping we don't regret this purchase.

Digital MPG shows it averages about as well as the RAV4 (around 23 mpg), though it is not as maneuverable. Love all the extra space and cargo room. Leather/vinyl seats great for easy cleanup from our baby.

Highly recommend an independent pre-purchase inspection before buying used, along with checking the Carfax. I've since heard through friends of others having problems with the climate control module failing.

First Impressions on the Sportage
By candjfields

2005 Kia Sportage EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my 2005 Kia Sportage (EX w/ V6 and 4WD) late August w/ 66k mi. Very impressed by the interior quality. Leather seats (heated) are comfortable and controls are easily accessible. Impressed by the engine, as it has a good amount of power for 2.7 liter. "Sport shift" shines when upshifting. Downshifts w/ the Sport shift seem to be overly harsh in lower RPM ranges (under 3K). Two car seats fit easily in the back seats. So far, a good purchase.

Leather seats (heated), sun roof, full- time 4WD w/ 4WD lock (for snow, mud, sand), MPG status read out, floor organizer in the rear, in-cabin air filter. So far, it's been easy to work on (i.e. replacing light bulbs, air filter, etc.). Like how quite the interior is, even at 80 Mph. In-dash 6 CD.

Exterior paint. Have a silver finish and the it's already fading along the top of the doors and the side mirrors. Feel like the addition of 5th gear for the automatic transmission (2.7L V6) would help increase the MPG for highway traveling.