2002 Kia Sportage Consumer Review: Great First Car

2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Great First Car
By Elizabeth on

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my Kia. It was my first car. I chose it because it could fit everything I owned inside of it. Not only did it haul me down to Georgia from Ohio but then moved all of my stuff to Florida a few months later. It also made the move to Dallas and back wonderfully. I consistently take it on long trips and it has never given me any trouble. It's a comfortable ride and gets great mileage on the highway. Of the 2 problems I have had the 1st (cracked master cylinder) was under warranty and the 2nd (fluid in the brakes) was my fault. I didn't use the 4WD enough in the florida climate and hoses disintegrated. The dealer told me, but I decided not to fix it and it caused the brakes.

Full size spare (has come in handy), lots of space (for a small SUV), roof rack, turning radius, stubby rear makes it easy to parallel park and fuel economy.

It could always use a little extra power and the cup holders block the AC vents which are also aimed poorly. You have to do this funny sideways lean. I also wish the back seats folded flush with the floor (which they do in newer models). Can't wait to get a newer one!