Used 2002 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Happy Man
By happyman

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this vehicle. 1999 Model Year. Bought it w/42,000 miles. Found that Prv owner brought it in for an electrical issue when doing lemon check, but no other issues. Fun to drive. Can't wait to take its top off!! These vehicles are hard to find used.

Favorite Features

nice looking (dark green)

Suggested Improvements

cup holder better gas mileage a little better pick up

Daughter Might not get the Kia!!
By Patrick McCloskey

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was in the market for a car to drive to work for a couple of years then turn over to my (now 14 yr) daughter. With the cash-back, warrenty, and the fun driving this was a great pick. I have had no problems with the car, which I bought at one of Memphis's leading dealerships. I might have to get my daughter another car!!

Favorite Features

Fun drivability, CD player, I used the roadside assistance for a flat tire and help was there in 20 minutes.

Suggested Improvements

I get 20MPG city, I hoped for 25MPG.

CRAP
By Ben Renzella

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do NOT buy a sportage, or ANY kia, for that matter - a new car with as many problems as this (all, of COURSE, fixed under warranty....sometimes) - Stay Away!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Don't build crap!

Lot's of truck,little price
By xlr8hard

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This thing is great. I've had it a year now and have not had any problems, though I read some pretty bad reviews. Maybe I got lucky or they had unreal expectations of this truck(yes it is a truck). It has plenty of power considering the way people actually drive. I mean, I find myself leaving cars behind when starting off from a light. The automatic does have power problems due to its gearing. The 5spd is fine. In slippery conditions not having tons of power makes it easier to control wheel spin and keep traction.

Favorite Features

4wd, ground clearance, ladder frame,solid feel(for it's size),price$$$$,interior(it's carlike)

Suggested Improvements

stiffer anti-sway bars(or the addition of), better tires(this will solve most of the road noise)

Excellent! No problems! 60,000 miles!
By Krp321

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2000 Sportage 2-dr. Convertible 4x4. Almost 3 years old, almost 60,000 miles, and i have not had a single problem with anything important. Driven hard on-road, off-road, and in-between, the only thing wrong at all was the driver's side power window switch failed. I read a lot of complaints about other Sportages, i know some people received a Lemon. That happens with every make and model. Your cupholder broke, so you rate the vehicle as "Poor"? Realize you get what you pay for...this is one of the least expensive SUV's you can buy, not a Mercedes! Besides, the THOUSANDS of happy owners dont complain here. Only the people who have a complaint post here!

Favorite Features

4x4 with low range transfer case. Even with the underpowered motor, it can still climb a mountain!

Suggested Improvements

uel Economy should be better for this small vehicle. 20 MPG all the time, highway and city.