Used 2002 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Most Helpful|
DO NOT BUY!
By Shelly

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned. It needed new brakes after only 25,000 miles. The brakes squeal when they get wet. The tire on the back is the biggest pain - hard to see around while driving and hard to close after loading cargo. The fact that the seats don't fold flat really limit the cargo area. The electronics in the car leave a lot to be desired - the power door locks make locking noises when you are exiting the vehicle. The cup holder in the front is in the worst possible place. You can't see the clock or reach any of the climate controls when it is in use. The one in the back is in an even worse place. Who puts a cup holder on the floor?

Favorite Features

4WD and compact size

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING!

I hate this car
By Foxfire

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After having it a few weeks, the car quit. Within several months, it had done this 3 times. Check engine light always comes on, dealers claim there is no problem. Driving it sucks, and it is noisy. What a waste of money. A deer hit my car, and the entire thing crumpled. I have taken it to the dealer about 10-15 times for various things which have never been fixed or explained. I hate it!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING!

DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID
By CarissaP

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I hate this vehicle. They do not hold their value at all. If you don't believe me then get on the phone right now and call around to a few dealerships. They are uncomfortable to ride in. When the commercial says rugged, they mean the ride not the vehicle performance. We have only had it a year and are trying our best to get rid of it. One dealership actually told me that they would not deal with me because they flat out did not want a Kia on their lot. I don't honestly blame them!

Favorite Features

cupholder

Suggested Improvements

bodystyle, gas mileage, interior cloth, cd player, instrument panel, alarm and keyless entry, rims, drl, tinted windows, onstar system, power seats, and anything else that you might think of

Too many Problems!!!
By Lou&Beth

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was so excited when I first got my Kia...however, 2 wks later my battery died, it took Kia 2 days to replace it. Then my power steering went out (car had only 400 miles on it by then!). Now A/C makes rattling noises and transmission is going out - has 22,000miles and I really baby my car, do not drive it tough! Trying desperately to get rid of it - low resale value though. My dealership won't give out rentals while repairs are being done & the repair shop is ALWAYS packed! -- BE WARNED --

Favorite Features

looks cute from outside

Suggested Improvements

geez, what hasn't gone wrong with my car???

Good for the money
By Runner

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Small with a good Mazda engine goes off road with a 4x4 chassis

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy should be better