2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Happy Man
By happyman on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this vehicle. 1999 Model Year. Bought it w/42,000 miles. Found that Prv owner brought it in for an electrical issue when doing lemon check, but no other issues. Fun to drive. Can't wait to take its top off!! These vehicles are hard to find used.

Daughter Might not get the Kia!!
By Patrick McCloskey on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was in the market for a car to drive to work for a couple of years then turn over to my (now 14 yr) daughter. With the cash-back, warrenty, and the fun driving this was a great pick. I have had no problems with the car, which I bought at one of Memphis's leading dealerships. I might have to get my daughter another car!!

CRAP
By Ben Renzella on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do NOT buy a sportage, or ANY kia, for that matter - a new car with as many problems as this (all, of COURSE, fixed under warranty....sometimes) - Stay Away!

Lot's of truck,little price
By xlr8hard on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This thing is great. I've had it a year now and have not had any problems, though I read some pretty bad reviews. Maybe I got lucky or they had unreal expectations of this truck(yes it is a truck). It has plenty of power considering the way people actually drive. I mean, I find myself leaving cars behind when starting off from a light. The automatic does have power problems due to its gearing. The 5spd is fine. In slippery conditions not having tons of power makes it easier to control wheel spin and keep traction.

Excellent! No problems! 60,000 miles!
By Krp321 on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2000 Sportage 2-dr. Convertible 4x4. Almost 3 years old, almost 60,000 miles, and i have not had a single problem with anything important. Driven hard on-road, off-road, and in-between, the only thing wrong at all was the driver's side power window switch failed. I read a lot of complaints about other Sportages, i know some people received a Lemon. That happens with every make and model. Your cupholder broke, so you rate the vehicle as "Poor"? Realize you get what you pay for...this is one of the least expensive SUV's you can buy, not a Mercedes! Besides, the THOUSANDS of happy owners dont complain here. Only the people who have a complaint post here!

Rollover Deathtrap
By Soisi on 01/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Simply put, these vehicles are too narrow, too short and thus rollover too easily. My wife turned one over four times after a gust of wind hit the Kia broadside in a heavy rain. Aggressive driving manuevers, such as trying to correct after a skid will flip these vehicles. I do not suggest them for anyone.

buy a better car
By thisis the worstcar on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

this is the worst purchuse of a car i have ever made. the sportage looked like a good value at the dealership and in ads but was i wrong. 3 weeks after i bought it the ac gave out and the power windows broke. it has been all downhill since that. i will never buy a cheap kia again

Great Value
By KiaOwner on 12/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I am surprised that no one on this web site had anything nice to say about this vehicle. Several of my friends are Sportage owners and they all love it. It seems that only those who have something to complain about are doing the rating. Therefore, I am here to say that I love my Sportage and I am proud to be an owner of one. The appearance is far better than the CRV or RAV-4 and it has been reliable thus far.

Avoid the Sportage
By Robert Galbraith on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

While mechanically the Sportage is fairly sound, you'll run into all kinds of problems with the body paint, dashboard lights, windows, cup holders and just about everything on the vehicle, except the engine. You will also find almost no support from KIA dealerships. You'll also discover that KIA service people know little or nothing about this vehicle. Like other Sportage owners, my engine light has always stayed on. The service people have no idea why this is. (In my last trip to the garage, they did fix it, and the light went back on as I drove home!!!) The Sportage is also an unstable vehicle to drive in high winds. Tire quality is also very poor.

LOVE MY SPORTAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Bob Hoskins on 12/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I LOVE THIS CAR, ITS FUN, SPORTY AND EVERYTHING I EXPECTED...ALSO SAVED OVER 3000 FROM THE RAV4