Used 2002 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Great Basic Transportation
By jbtolla

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased mine in May '04 as a new leftover from 2002, therefore, I stole it from the dealer. For the $10K I paid, I feel I got more than much more than I paid for. My nephew is over 6' tall and always complains about his legs cramping in the back of my Mustang convertible (hour ride), but I drove from New Haven, CT to Williamsburg, VA with him in the back, and not one complaint. I have made a couple trips to VA and several trips back and forth from New Haven to Yankee stadium and my passengers never complain. Since I am used to driving sporty cars, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handles for a little truck.

Favorite Features

Great little people mover!

Suggested Improvements

Upholstery could be nicer and the cup holder could be in a more convenient place.

DO NOT BUY!
By Shelly

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned. It needed new brakes after only 25,000 miles. The brakes squeal when they get wet. The tire on the back is the biggest pain - hard to see around while driving and hard to close after loading cargo. The fact that the seats don't fold flat really limit the cargo area. The electronics in the car leave a lot to be desired - the power door locks make locking noises when you are exiting the vehicle. The cup holder in the front is in the worst possible place. You can't see the clock or reach any of the climate controls when it is in use. The one in the back is in an even worse place. Who puts a cup holder on the floor?

Favorite Features

4WD and compact size

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING!

My Little Kia
By Amaranta

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a year and so far I haven't had any problem with my little Kia. I recommend this car if you are looking for a fun and not too expensive car.

Favorite Features

Favorite, I love almost everything about it, the exterior design and the interior is good too. It has a really nice radio and it drives smoothly.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements, I would love to have more power in the engine, sometimes it feels like Miss Daisy driving :) but that's it I wouldn't change nothing else.

Won't Buy Again
By chevylover

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have 2002 Kia Sportage convertible. Recently bumped a large rubber trash can at 5 mph, and passenger mirror broke off. Check engine light comes on intermitently. Air bag light blinking random pattern for months. Won't go to dealership because service is terrible. Quality is poor, but then again that's why the price is low. Read here about recalls, haven't received any notifications at all. Been a chevy buyer all my life, will not go back to Kia. Sneeze and a dent appears in the outside panels, paint chipping in doors, molding in windows not secure. Tailpipe broke off w/ only 27K miles. Seems low to me to have exhaust issues. It was an experience that I won't repeat.

Favorite Features

Stereo system is good.

Suggested Improvements

CUPHOLDER...need I say more. Redesign convertible portion to make easier to remove. Better quality of parts all around....

sportage
By bill winters

4x4 rubber boot replaced,no other problems

Favorite Features

4x4,size,design inside and outside.

Suggested Improvements

more cup holders/better location for front.