2002 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Sportage
By bbbaker on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was pleasantly surprised with the power and comfort of such an economical vehicle. Interior has a spacious feel. Back seat folds down and was able to haul items that I normally would have borrowed a truck for.

2002 Kia Sportage
By DanielleB11 on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

good on gas; fun to drive in the summer

Kia crumpled, but I didn't!
By mamaofpits on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Kia Sporty 4x4 as I wanted something rugged, safe, and able to get through flooded streets. It never let me down, always started right up and got me where I was going... except for one day. I was stopped in traffic when this monsterous extended van plowed into me at about 45 - 50 mph and was a chain reaction. I walked away with minor injuries... no broken bones! The paramedics were amazed. Either the Kia is indeed built to be very safe and sturdy and/or my guardian angel was with my that day. Would I buy another one... absolutely!

Luv my Kia
By iceman8147 on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased (2) Kia Sportage convertables over a year ago. Both my wife and I love them. They are perfect for the Florida beach / rush hour traffic scene. You sit up nice and high, but can zip in and out of traffic. With the top off, you can enjoy the fresh ocean air. I have worked in the US automotive industry for 20 years, but after driving my little SUV, I am impressed. The fit and finish on our Sportages was as good as or better than vehicles that I have seen at the NA assembly plants. For the money, they are quite a value. If they had a small V6 in it rather than the I4, fuel economy would be better as the 4 cylinder is worked pretty hard.

I love my Kia!
By Jewle on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would recommend the Kia Sportage! I bought a vehicle to slow me down, and take my time, this one is it. It runs great, and if I get stuck in snow or ice, I have 4 wheel drive. She's cute too!

Cute car, but looks aren't everything
By Dreamn34 on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Kia a year ago.It started making a horrible noise whenever it idled or ran below 30mph so I took it in to get looked at. They installed a new A/C compressor and clutch. Thank God I had a warranty because it was over $1400 worth of parts, which cost me zero. Last May I paid around $17,500. Since then I've moved 35 miles from from work so I'm looking for something that gets better gas mileage. I'm currently filling up about every third day. We went to the Honda dealership and when they appraised my Kia, they came back with $5000! I took it to CarMax and got an offer of $7800, which is better, but it's still not going to help when I owe $11,500.

One year old and nothing but problems
By angry KIA owner on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We owned the Sportage six months when the bottom section of the cupholder fell off, spilling hot coffee on me while driving. A month later, the cover for the sun visor mirror fell off. Last winter the back passenger window stopped working, and about the same time, during freezing rain with my kids in the vehicle, the wipers stopped working. Now, after 35000 kms (30000 of those highway kms) it needs new front brakes and the rotors are trashed. Never had a vehicle needing brakes this soon before! It's highly unfortunate we leased this vehicle as we are now stuck for another three years costing us nothing but problems and money.

Lucky or a Good SUV?
By Meaggro on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had mine for a little over a month and I love it. Could use more Horsepower. Cup hold is in a real lame place. Stereo sounds great and the add-ons (cargo mat and window visors) were worth the money. Like the full size spare and the fold down rear seats. Good, solid car overall. Also own a Sedona (LOVE IT), this is my second Kia. I love this company, but the dealership makes all the difference. I've had both a bad experience and a great experience with two different dealerships.

4X4 never works
By Tom991 on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 4X4 EX so I would have 4 wheel drive when I needed it. The 4 times it snowed and I needed 4 wheel drive I had none. 1st time the dealer's service department said no problems found, 2d time they fixed a vacumn line to the 4 wheel drive but my fuel ecomony dropped from 22 MPG to 17 MPG, Obviously they did something wrong. 3rd time (two weeks out of the shop, it snowed again, the 4 wheel drive didn't work. It's in the shop awaiting parts again. I'm wondering, is it the KIA or the service department? Had four wheel allignment done there came out with same pulling to the left problems when it went in.

Bought it used - very happy with it!
By Luvitt on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Came home tonight in a virtual white-out with 50 mph winds and 1-2 ft drifts!! This is my 1st 4x4, so obviously, I was very impressed after seeing no less than a dozen other vehicles off the shoulder. Yes.....MOVE THE CUP-HOLDER! Otherwise, I can't say enough about this SUV. Very quiet & smooth riding - turns on a dime! No rattles, tight construction, and lots of room (unless you're Arnold...) Can't figure out why everybody wants an Escalade at a Kia price! 2.0L Engine (made in Japan) is nimble & responsive (5-spd manual), better gas mileage than the Geo Metro I came from. Guess I just got a good one.....wife bought a Hyundai Elantra same day!