Used 2002 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Do NOT buy if you drive in rain or snow
By Lori

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a 4x4, bt extremely dangerous to drive in rain or snow, doing below speed limit. The backend slides out constantly, regardless of having new tires because of it being a light weight vehicle. When problems arose w/ an oil leak, the dealer blamed express lube. I was given an attitude by the dealer. They were very expensive. When 4x4 wasn't working, th car was in shop for 3 days, returned unfixed and had to drop it back off for 3 mere days! I replaced the fan belts, alternator and starter. Another annoying fact, it would gt stuck in reverse all the time. I would have to roll a little in reverse, then put in drve for it to go forward from a parked position. It was very noisy w/ the soft top. Catalytic converter smelled going uphill, dlr sd normal

None

It nds to be built mre sturdy w/ more weight to it and be able to withstand driving in rain and snow w/out sliding out in the back end. Renovate the trans. so it's nt gtting stuck in rvrse cnstntly. Rebuild catalitic cnverter that cnstntly smells whn drving uphill. Pls see above prblms in review box

Awesome 4x4
By georgia_bunny69

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my kia sportage 4x4, its small on the outside, but has way more room than you would expect inside. And the 4x4 has gotten me out of some tough spots. I took it through a creek with the tail pipe submerged in three feet of water, and my truck never once cut out or stalled.

the layout of the truck and the room.

What were you expecting?
By pah-leez

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4 2DR convertible with 70,000 miles on it, as a winter car. (I drive a BMW M Roadster convertible in the summer.) The only thing I've had to do so far is replace the tires. It rides a little rough, but it's a truck! Trucks are not going to ride as smooth as a car. So far I am happy with my purchase. I think it has a lot of pep for a 4 cyl (and remember I'm used to an "M" engine!)... and face it, it's adorable!

Looks! It has a lot of pep for what's under the hood (4 cyl).

Why would they put the cupholder there?! I would have liked a V-6,but if you are looking for economical, that would have defeated the purpose. It could use a little more comfortable seating.

What I would expect...
By Vince

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good entry level SUV. On par with Geo Trackers and the like. The 2002 year has worked well. I have heard the horror stories from earlier models. Company has web site so I have been able able to do most repairs myself (weekend warrior) including the timing belt without too much effort. Good values available in the used market.

Spacious interior compared to my old Jeep cherokee. Mileage decent.

Overall all build quality - again entry level price has a lot to do with this.

great little car
By doug owens

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 2002 model, 4wd, 5 speed. I find it fun, responsive, and a pure pleasure to drive. My only, and basically trivial problem with it is: IT NEEDS MORE POWER! (sorry 'bout that Tim Allen). I think one of the hamsters under the hood had a stroke going uphill into the Adirondacks, but it recovered nicely, and with minimal brain damage. Other than that, I love this little car that thinks its bigger than it really is.

Comfortable seats, great ride, great handling, good looks, and fits anywhere.

BIGGER, STRONGER HAMSTERS!