Used 2002 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Awesome 4x4
By georgia_bunny69

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my kia sportage 4x4, its small on the outside, but has way more room than you would expect inside. And the 4x4 has gotten me out of some tough spots. I took it through a creek with the tail pipe submerged in three feet of water, and my truck never once cut out or stalled.

Favorite Features

the layout of the truck and the room.

What were you expecting?
By pah-leez

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4 2DR convertible with 70,000 miles on it, as a winter car. (I drive a BMW M Roadster convertible in the summer.) The only thing I've had to do so far is replace the tires. It rides a little rough, but it's a truck! Trucks are not going to ride as smooth as a car. So far I am happy with my purchase. I think it has a lot of pep for a 4 cyl (and remember I'm used to an "M" engine!)... and face it, it's adorable!

Favorite Features

Looks! It has a lot of pep for what's under the hood (4 cyl).

Suggested Improvements

Why would they put the cupholder there?! I would have liked a V-6,but if you are looking for economical, that would have defeated the purpose. It could use a little more comfortable seating.

What I would expect...
By Vince

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good entry level SUV. On par with Geo Trackers and the like. The 2002 year has worked well. I have heard the horror stories from earlier models. Company has web site so I have been able able to do most repairs myself (weekend warrior) including the timing belt without too much effort. Good values available in the used market.

Favorite Features

Spacious interior compared to my old Jeep cherokee. Mileage decent.

Suggested Improvements

Overall all build quality - again entry level price has a lot to do with this.

great little car
By doug owens

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 2002 model, 4wd, 5 speed. I find it fun, responsive, and a pure pleasure to drive. My only, and basically trivial problem with it is: IT NEEDS MORE POWER! (sorry 'bout that Tim Allen). I think one of the hamsters under the hood had a stroke going uphill into the Adirondacks, but it recovered nicely, and with minimal brain damage. Other than that, I love this little car that thinks its bigger than it really is.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, great ride, great handling, good looks, and fits anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

BIGGER, STRONGER HAMSTERS!

too many things gone wrong
By Kim

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this little suv because of price. I wanted a 4x4 and this was one that seemed reasonable. Well let me just say that I glad it's under warranty. The transmission went at 40,000 miles. The cooling fan busted damaging the radiator & washer reservoir. I need front brakes already and just put on 4 new tires just before this winter. Then this winter I had problems with putting fuel in my tank; kept flowing back out at me. Accelerator sensor replaced 3 times. The service has been great & warranty has covered all except tires and brakes of course. I will be trading it in before the warranty is up thats for sure! Other than that, it's not a bad little suv to drive around.

Favorite Features

Turning radius is awesome. 4WD has been great over the 2 winters I had it. Sound system is adequate.

Suggested Improvements

Much needed storage compartments. New model already out and has been improved ... so won't add anything here other than I won't be buying it!