Used 2002 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Sportage SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Decent value for a second vehicle.
By Dan O

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Looked around for an inexpensive second vehicle for the wife. Considered sedans(e.g cobalt, g5, focus & corolla), but eventually I stumble upon a fully loaded kia sportage. It was exactly what she needed to get around town, it had 4x4, lots of room and 4 doors. Sure it was a little underpowered, but around the city she really didn't really need to be a speed demon. The 4x4 works great in snowy conditions, the storage capacity in the back is functional (Fit a dresser in the kia, even with the back seats not able to lye flush with the back). The aluminum rims can be a pain, especially with air pressure loss. This vehicle is fun, practical, and for us has been a valued purchase.

The fully loaded ex model w/ two tone paint & roof rack is a really nice looking truck. Seats are comfortable and there is a lot of room inside for such a small looking SUV. Fun to drive.

Fuel economy and engine size. Every kia sportage I see on the road has a rusty tire rack for the spare on the rear. ( I guess that's why the newer models don't have it?) Too bad because that's what makes the sportage unique from any other small suv. Buyer beware aluminum rims need to be sealed!!!

Great First Car
By Elizabeth

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my Kia. It was my first car. I chose it because it could fit everything I owned inside of it. Not only did it haul me down to Georgia from Ohio but then moved all of my stuff to Florida a few months later. It also made the move to Dallas and back wonderfully. I consistently take it on long trips and it has never given me any trouble. It's a comfortable ride and gets great mileage on the highway. Of the 2 problems I have had the 1st (cracked master cylinder) was under warranty and the 2nd (fluid in the brakes) was my fault. I didn't use the 4WD enough in the florida climate and hoses disintegrated. The dealer told me, but I decided not to fix it and it caused the brakes.

Full size spare (has come in handy), lots of space (for a small SUV), roof rack, turning radius, stubby rear makes it easy to parallel park and fuel economy.

It could always use a little extra power and the cup holders block the AC vents which are also aimed poorly. You have to do this funny sideways lean. I also wish the back seats folded flush with the floor (which they do in newer models). Can't wait to get a newer one!

My first Kia
By C.Knill

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a 4x4 bought it used then it cost me $1800 to get the front wheels to work properly.Serviced at the dealship and was treated like royalty. I LOVE the fact its full frame and not a unibody!!! ABS and brake warning light come on stay on till shut down and restart for no reason. Low power but hey 4cyl and 4x4 dont mix LOL. Made its way through 4 feet of snow last winter and numerous flooded streets this spring!!Rugged little beasty...I'm happy with it.

I like the simplicity of the 4x4 selector...even my wife had it figured out first time driving it. (sorry ladies) well laid out dash easy to read. Full frame how cool is that!

Took it mudding and got stuck...beef up the power plant!!! Sound system needs to be located higher and the cup holders lower...ashtray should be optional.

2002 with 152,000 & still going
By Mike

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very well put together car. Blew timing belt at 120,000, so small stuff also, nothing major. I intend to buy another Kia next year and hope it's as good as this one. No more 4 cylinders, no power and gas mileage is nothing to crow about. I liked the interior design, but the slide out drink tray has broke 3 times, all the lower flap coming off. Still, I would recommend this car to anyone. I sold and was a service director in chicagoland dealerships for 27 years. This was as good as any Chevy or Dodge that I had as a demo. Oh yes, I still have original rear brakes and they are like new. I am on my 3rd front set, which I think is a normal amount. Like I said. Great car!

Interior design, little compartments and a very tight turning radius.

Dump the 4 cylinder.

Do NOT buy if you drive in rain or snow
By Lori

2002 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a 4x4, bt extremely dangerous to drive in rain or snow, doing below speed limit. The backend slides out constantly, regardless of having new tires because of it being a light weight vehicle. When problems arose w/ an oil leak, the dealer blamed express lube. I was given an attitude by the dealer. They were very expensive. When 4x4 wasn't working, th car was in shop for 3 days, returned unfixed and had to drop it back off for 3 mere days! I replaced the fan belts, alternator and starter. Another annoying fact, it would gt stuck in reverse all the time. I would have to roll a little in reverse, then put in drve for it to go forward from a parked position. It was very noisy w/ the soft top. Catalytic converter smelled going uphill, dlr sd normal

None

It nds to be built mre sturdy w/ more weight to it and be able to withstand driving in rain and snow w/out sliding out in the back end. Renovate the trans. so it's nt gtting stuck in rvrse cnstntly. Rebuild catalitic cnverter that cnstntly smells whn drving uphill. Pls see above prblms in review box