2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Awesome 4x4
By georgia_bunny69 on 05/10/08 18:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my kia sportage 4x4, its small on the outside, but has way more room than you would expect inside. And the 4x4 has gotten me out of some tough spots. I took it through a creek with the tail pipe submerged in three feet of water, and my truck never once cut out or stalled.

What were you expecting?
By pah-leez on 10/25/07 19:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4 2DR convertible with 70,000 miles on it, as a winter car. (I drive a BMW M Roadster convertible in the summer.) The only thing I've had to do so far is replace the tires. It rides a little rough, but it's a truck! Trucks are not going to ride as smooth as a car. So far I am happy with my purchase. I think it has a lot of pep for a 4 cyl (and remember I'm used to an "M" engine!)... and face it, it's adorable!

What I would expect...
By Vince on 08/28/07 19:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good entry level SUV. On par with Geo Trackers and the like. The 2002 year has worked well. I have heard the horror stories from earlier models. Company has web site so I have been able able to do most repairs myself (weekend warrior) including the timing belt without too much effort. Good values available in the used market.

great little car
By doug owens on 11/06/06 21:54 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 2002 model, 4wd, 5 speed. I find it fun, responsive, and a pure pleasure to drive. My only, and basically trivial problem with it is: IT NEEDS MORE POWER! (sorry 'bout that Tim Allen). I think one of the hamsters under the hood had a stroke going uphill into the Adirondacks, but it recovered nicely, and with minimal brain damage. Other than that, I love this little car that thinks its bigger than it really is.

too many things gone wrong
By Kim on 03/01/06 23:23 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this little suv because of price. I wanted a 4x4 and this was one that seemed reasonable. Well let me just say that I glad it's under warranty. The transmission went at 40,000 miles. The cooling fan busted damaging the radiator & washer reservoir. I need front brakes already and just put on 4 new tires just before this winter. Then this winter I had problems with putting fuel in my tank; kept flowing back out at me. Accelerator sensor replaced 3 times. The service has been great & warranty has covered all except tires and brakes of course. I will be trading it in before the warranty is up thats for sure! Other than that, it's not a bad little suv to drive around.

Great Basic Transportation
By jbtolla on 01/24/06 21:38 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased mine in May '04 as a new leftover from 2002, therefore, I stole it from the dealer. For the $10K I paid, I feel I got more than much more than I paid for. My nephew is over 6' tall and always complains about his legs cramping in the back of my Mustang convertible (hour ride), but I drove from New Haven, CT to Williamsburg, VA with him in the back, and not one complaint. I have made a couple trips to VA and several trips back and forth from New Haven to Yankee stadium and my passengers never complain. Since I am used to driving sporty cars, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handles for a little truck.

DO NOT BUY!
By Shelly on 06/14/05 16:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned. It needed new brakes after only 25,000 miles. The brakes squeal when they get wet. The tire on the back is the biggest pain - hard to see around while driving and hard to close after loading cargo. The fact that the seats don't fold flat really limit the cargo area. The electronics in the car leave a lot to be desired - the power door locks make locking noises when you are exiting the vehicle. The cup holder in the front is in the worst possible place. You can't see the clock or reach any of the climate controls when it is in use. The one in the back is in an even worse place. Who puts a cup holder on the floor?

My Little Kia
By Amaranta on 11/24/04 19:56 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a year and so far I haven't had any problem with my little Kia. I recommend this car if you are looking for a fun and not too expensive car.

Won't Buy Again
By chevylover on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have 2002 Kia Sportage convertible. Recently bumped a large rubber trash can at 5 mph, and passenger mirror broke off. Check engine light comes on intermitently. Air bag light blinking random pattern for months. Won't go to dealership because service is terrible. Quality is poor, but then again that's why the price is low. Read here about recalls, haven't received any notifications at all. Been a chevy buyer all my life, will not go back to Kia. Sneeze and a dent appears in the outside panels, paint chipping in doors, molding in windows not secure. Tailpipe broke off w/ only 27K miles. Seems low to me to have exhaust issues. It was an experience that I won't repeat.

sportage
By bill winters on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

4x4 rubber boot replaced,no other problems