2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Love my Kia, a real trooper!!!
By rrman79 on 03/07/11 21:19 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a convertable 2002 Kia Sportage, I love this car and I am sad to say in a few weeks I will be selling it to a buddy at work. My Sportage has 119,000 miles on it now, I bought it with 9,000! So far I have had to replace the roof (vinyl top) that was because for the first 4 years of ownership I did not have a garage!! The air-conditioner compressor locked up at about 60,000, but being a convertable, why do you need A/C? The 4 wheel drive went out about the same time, somthing about the seals rotting?? And just recently had the Master Brake Cylinder replaced. You might say, how can this guy still love this car?? I have had it for 8 years now, and it never quit on me!! A faithful friend

Do NOT buy if you drive in rain or snow
By Lori on 05/20/08 11:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a 4x4, bt extremely dangerous to drive in rain or snow, doing below speed limit. The backend slides out constantly, regardless of having new tires because of it being a light weight vehicle. When problems arose w/ an oil leak, the dealer blamed express lube. I was given an attitude by the dealer. They were very expensive. When 4x4 wasn't working, th car was in shop for 3 days, returned unfixed and had to drop it back off for 3 mere days! I replaced the fan belts, alternator and starter. Another annoying fact, it would gt stuck in reverse all the time. I would have to roll a little in reverse, then put in drve for it to go forward from a parked position. It was very noisy w/ the soft top. Catalytic converter smelled going uphill, dlr sd normal

What were you expecting?
By pah-leez on 10/25/07 19:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4 2DR convertible with 70,000 miles on it, as a winter car. (I drive a BMW M Roadster convertible in the summer.) The only thing I've had to do so far is replace the tires. It rides a little rough, but it's a truck! Trucks are not going to ride as smooth as a car. So far I am happy with my purchase. I think it has a lot of pep for a 4 cyl (and remember I'm used to an "M" engine!)... and face it, it's adorable!

Won't Buy Again
By chevylover on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have 2002 Kia Sportage convertible. Recently bumped a large rubber trash can at 5 mph, and passenger mirror broke off. Check engine light comes on intermitently. Air bag light blinking random pattern for months. Won't go to dealership because service is terrible. Quality is poor, but then again that's why the price is low. Read here about recalls, haven't received any notifications at all. Been a chevy buyer all my life, will not go back to Kia. Sneeze and a dent appears in the outside panels, paint chipping in doors, molding in windows not secure. Tailpipe broke off w/ only 27K miles. Seems low to me to have exhaust issues. It was an experience that I won't repeat.

Sportage
By bbbaker on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was pleasantly surprised with the power and comfort of such an economical vehicle. Interior has a spacious feel. Back seat folds down and was able to haul items that I normally would have borrowed a truck for.

Happy Man
By happyman on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this vehicle. 1999 Model Year. Bought it w/42,000 miles. Found that Prv owner brought it in for an electrical issue when doing lemon check, but no other issues. Fun to drive. Can't wait to take its top off!! These vehicles are hard to find used.

Excellent! No problems! 60,000 miles!
By Krp321 on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2000 Sportage 2-dr. Convertible 4x4. Almost 3 years old, almost 60,000 miles, and i have not had a single problem with anything important. Driven hard on-road, off-road, and in-between, the only thing wrong at all was the driver's side power window switch failed. I read a lot of complaints about other Sportages, i know some people received a Lemon. That happens with every make and model. Your cupholder broke, so you rate the vehicle as "Poor"? Realize you get what you pay for...this is one of the least expensive SUV's you can buy, not a Mercedes! Besides, the THOUSANDS of happy owners dont complain here. Only the people who have a complaint post here!

pathetic suv
By worst car eva on 03/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst vechicle ever, i have spent more time in the shop with minor to severe repairs in the past year than i have actually driving the vechicle. Please be fore warned and do not buy a Kia. I had the rear tailgate hinges break off on me at the airport with no warning. Within the first week the center console was broken, the glove box lock never worked from the factory. The muffler system iis always rattling. The transmission has had leaks, the radiator fan broke off the radiator was leaking. I have changed my oil exactly every 3,000 miles and this vechile was just a bad choice.

user friendly
By oh ya on 03/12/02 19:14 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

the kia is an affordable and economicly sound purchase. It could use some more horses under the hood, but for the price its worth it. Powerful when in four wheel drive, still limited to slow accelaration.