Used 2002 Kia Sportage Base Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Cheap, Fun 4x4
By aleksg

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sportage for 350 dollars, so I wasn't expecting perfection.

It has 228k km on the clock, and the manual transmission is noisy, the synchros are worn, so it shifts hard when cold, but still works.

All of the door handles were loose or broken when I got mine, but these problems are easy to fix for a weekend warrior because the door panels are a cinch to remove. The window switches are a common problem, but also very easy to fix.

Basically this is a car you can buy for REAL cheap from someone who doesn't know how to fix small problems. Then you fix them yourself and boom, perfectly good car.

The full-lock 4WD is great, and very very easy to use, there's no special procedure, you just click it in, click it out. For the weight, it gets decent mileage, and is fairly peppy for a 128hp 2.0L engine. Cargo space is decent. The A/C and heat work really nicely. The suspension absorbs big gaps in the road nicely.

The cupholders, door handles, and basically all other plastic in the Sportage is junk. However, the cupholders break in such a way that drink cups from fast food joints still fit just fine. Just not pop cans or bottles. Improve the plastic! Also include a rear locking differential. An open diff on a RWD car is a joke.

Love my Kia, a real trooper!!!
By rrman79

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a convertable 2002 Kia Sportage, I love this car and I am sad to say in a few weeks I will be selling it to a buddy at work.
My Sportage has 119,000 miles on it now, I bought it with 9,000! So far I have had to replace the roof (vinyl top) that was because for the first 4 years of ownership I did not have a garage!! The air-conditioner compressor locked up at about 60,000, but being a convertable, why do you need A/C? The 4 wheel drive went out about the same time, somthing about the seals rotting?? And just recently had the Master Brake Cylinder replaced. You might say, how can this guy still love this car?? I have had it for 8 years now, and it never quit on me!!
A faithful friend

Strong frame!! I broadsided a car full speed, all the damage it did was knock the bumper off!! This car took a good hit, hard enough to knock the other vehicle's tire in sideways! The good thing was nobody got hurt! The trunk room was also a great thing, I hauled a lawn-mower and snow blower all over town. This is by-far the best car I have ever owned, I now have a Rondo, Kia is a great car company. Despite the small repairs I had to make, this car has held up so well. I work on the Railroad, and drive this car all over bad conditions, and it has held up like a champ, I am gonna miss the Purple Monster!!!

I wish they would put the clock in a better place, if you had any drinks in the cup holders you could not see the clock. The belt also made a fair amount of noise in idle, not so much to be overbearing, but still a little annoying. Changing the oil was a little tough, wish the filter could be in another place, but after awhile, it was just a whole lot easier to take it in to a oil-change garage, and have them do it.

Do NOT buy if you drive in rain or snow
By Lori

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a 4x4, bt extremely dangerous to drive in rain or snow, doing below speed limit. The backend slides out constantly, regardless of having new tires because of it being a light weight vehicle. When problems arose w/ an oil leak, the dealer blamed express lube. I was given an attitude by the dealer. They were very expensive. When 4x4 wasn't working, th car was in shop for 3 days, returned unfixed and had to drop it back off for 3 mere days! I replaced the fan belts, alternator and starter. Another annoying fact, it would gt stuck in reverse all the time. I would have to roll a little in reverse, then put in drve for it to go forward from a parked position. It was very noisy w/ the soft top. Catalytic converter smelled going uphill, dlr sd normal

None

It nds to be built mre sturdy w/ more weight to it and be able to withstand driving in rain and snow w/out sliding out in the back end. Renovate the trans. so it's nt gtting stuck in rvrse cnstntly. Rebuild catalitic cnverter that cnstntly smells whn drving uphill. Pls see above prblms in review box

What were you expecting?
By pah-leez

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4 2DR convertible with 70,000 miles on it, as a winter car. (I drive a BMW M Roadster convertible in the summer.) The only thing I've had to do so far is replace the tires. It rides a little rough, but it's a truck! Trucks are not going to ride as smooth as a car. So far I am happy with my purchase. I think it has a lot of pep for a 4 cyl (and remember I'm used to an "M" engine!)... and face it, it's adorable!

Looks! It has a lot of pep for what's under the hood (4 cyl).

Why would they put the cupholder there?! I would have liked a V-6,but if you are looking for economical, that would have defeated the purpose. It could use a little more comfortable seating.

Won't Buy Again
By chevylover

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have 2002 Kia Sportage convertible.
Recently bumped a large rubber trash
can at 5 mph, and passenger mirror
broke off. Check engine light comes on
intermitently. Air bag light blinking
random pattern for months. Won't go to
dealership because service is
terrible. Quality is poor, but then
again that's why the price is low.
Read here about recalls, haven't
received any notifications at all.
Been a chevy buyer all my life, will
not go back to Kia. Sneeze and a dent
appears in the outside panels, paint
chipping in doors, molding in windows
not secure. Tailpipe broke off w/ only
27K miles. Seems low to me to have
exhaust issues. It was an experience
that I won't repeat.

Stereo system is good.

CUPHOLDER...need I say more. Redesign convertible portion to make easier to remove. Better quality of parts all around....