Used 2002 Kia Sportage Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Most Helpful|
Luv my Kia
By iceman8147

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased (2) Kia Sportage convertables over a year ago. Both my wife and I love them. They are perfect for the Florida beach / rush hour traffic scene. You sit up nice and high, but can zip in and out of traffic. With the top off, you can enjoy the fresh ocean air. I have worked in the US automotive industry for 20 years, but after driving my little SUV, I am impressed. The fit and finish on our Sportages was as good as or better than vehicles that I have seen at the NA assembly plants. For the money, they are quite a value. If they had a small V6 in it rather than the I4, fuel economy would be better as the 4 cylinder is worked pretty hard.

Favorite Features

Styling, peppy, handling, driving fun. Value, fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Placement of the cup holder. Needs a V6.

Kia Sportage 2WD Convertible -Must Read-
By Majali

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have purchased my 2002 convertible Sportage in 2008 and have put 24m000 miles on it since then. It's a great good looking affordable car. It has a special charisma. This STRONG Vehicle has literally saved my life, after hitting a parked car from behind while doing 100 mph the damage was slight regardless that the Honda i hit got totaled! Featuring 3 air bags/Automatic Transmission/AC Easily removed cool soft top options. The 2.0 L is strong enough for a small below 2000 LB's SUV ( it has served a BMW 520). Doing 20 MPG City and Crazy 30 MPG highway miles. I don't have any more mechanical troubles after doing a full maintenance a year ago. It maneuvers perfectly, but i wish it was 4WD for sand

Favorite Features

Convertible, High off the ground, Safe, economic. Rear seat folded and it's a TRUCK! :D Cheers

Suggested Improvements

Four wheel Drive 4x4, limited at 100mph.

2002 Kia Sportage
By DanielleB11

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

good on gas; fun to drive in the summer

Favorite Features

mileage; convertable top

Suggested Improvements

better interior build

Lots of Fun
By llpacal

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Had a couple of problems at the beginning that were fixed not enthusiastically yet the car is rock solid and super fun to drive. The seating position is fantastic and very cofortable.The engine is very peppy and the ride is firm but verry grippy.I now know that most people use this format to complain which I think is legitamate,but your normal satisfied consumer will never take the time to write a review.

Favorite Features

Seating,hieght ,ride,solidness,great stereo,fun.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, performance.Door holding stops.

Cute car, but looks aren't everything
By Dreamn34

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Kia a year ago.It started making a horrible noise whenever it idled or ran below 30mph so I took it in to get looked at. They installed a new A/C compressor and clutch. Thank God I had a warranty because it was over $1400 worth of parts, which cost me zero. Last May I paid around $17,500. Since then I've moved 35 miles from from work so I'm looking for something that gets better gas mileage. I'm currently filling up about every third day. We went to the Honda dealership and when they appraised my Kia, they came back with $5000! I took it to CarMax and got an offer of $7800, which is better, but it's still not going to help when I owe $11,500.

Favorite Features

It's cute and not as noisy as other convertibles. Perfect for when I lived on the beach. Nice to be in an SUV and not sitting on the ground.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage; cup holder has drinks sitting in front of a/c vents and you can't see a/c controls; A/C doesn't blow enough cool air out the side vents; If it's been raining, tires slide around every curve until the back tires get their traction; Driver's side seat is starting to tear.