2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Kia Sportage 2WD Convertible -Must Read-
By Majali on 04/04/10 05:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have purchased my 2002 convertible Sportage in 2008 and have put 24m000 miles on it since then. It's a great good looking affordable car. It has a special charisma. This STRONG Vehicle has literally saved my life, after hitting a parked car from behind while doing 100 mph the damage was slight regardless that the Honda i hit got totaled! Featuring 3 air bags/Automatic Transmission/AC Easily removed cool soft top options. The 2.0 L is strong enough for a small below 2000 LB's SUV ( it has served a BMW 520). Doing 20 MPG City and Crazy 30 MPG highway miles. I don't have any more mechanical troubles after doing a full maintenance a year ago. It maneuvers perfectly, but i wish it was 4WD for sand

2002 Kia Sportage
By DanielleB11 on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

good on gas; fun to drive in the summer

Luv my Kia
By iceman8147 on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased (2) Kia Sportage convertables over a year ago. Both my wife and I love them. They are perfect for the Florida beach / rush hour traffic scene. You sit up nice and high, but can zip in and out of traffic. With the top off, you can enjoy the fresh ocean air. I have worked in the US automotive industry for 20 years, but after driving my little SUV, I am impressed. The fit and finish on our Sportages was as good as or better than vehicles that I have seen at the NA assembly plants. For the money, they are quite a value. If they had a small V6 in it rather than the I4, fuel economy would be better as the 4 cylinder is worked pretty hard.

Cute car, but looks aren't everything
By Dreamn34 on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Kia a year ago.It started making a horrible noise whenever it idled or ran below 30mph so I took it in to get looked at. They installed a new A/C compressor and clutch. Thank God I had a warranty because it was over $1400 worth of parts, which cost me zero. Last May I paid around $17,500. Since then I've moved 35 miles from from work so I'm looking for something that gets better gas mileage. I'm currently filling up about every third day. We went to the Honda dealership and when they appraised my Kia, they came back with $5000! I took it to CarMax and got an offer of $7800, which is better, but it's still not going to help when I owe $11,500.

Lots of Fun
By llpacal on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Had a couple of problems at the beginning that were fixed not enthusiastically yet the car is rock solid and super fun to drive. The seating position is fantastic and very cofortable.The engine is very peppy and the ride is firm but verry grippy.I now know that most people use this format to complain which I think is legitamate,but your normal satisfied consumer will never take the time to write a review.

Good for the money
By Runner on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

Small with a good Mazda engine goes off road with a 4x4 chassis

save your money
By worstchoiceevermade on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

this car sucks! it stays in the shop. 2 wks after i got it the window switch broke, the interior seat covers had to be replaced...the belts gave out..the brakes messed up, the air went out and now the windows don't work at all...no wonder they come w/that long warrenty..you'll need it. how can i get rid of this piece of junk???

Cheap, Plastic Headache
By ssinec on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my 2002 Sportage for about 6 months now and have about 9000 miles on it and its already falling apart. I had to have the rear door and lock assemply repaired, which have never worked properly. I've had the front windshield replaced, which split down the middle. The front bumper has come unattached on the driver side due to cheap plastic screws that held it in place. The cup holder has broken. The passenger window will not go all the way up. Take my advice, do not buy this SUV! Its just a cheap, plastic headache with a cheap paint job and poor construction.