2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Cheap, Fun 4x4
By aleksg on 04/27/14 11:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sportage for 350 dollars, so I wasn't expecting perfection. It has 228k km on the clock, and the manual transmission is noisy, the synchros are worn, so it shifts hard when cold, but still works. All of the door handles were loose or broken when I got mine, but these problems are easy to fix for a weekend warrior because the door panels are a cinch to remove. The window switches are a common problem, but also very easy to fix. Basically this is a car you can buy for REAL cheap from someone who doesn't know how to fix small problems. Then you fix them yourself and boom, perfectly good car.

Love my Kia, a real trooper!!!
By rrman79 on 03/07/11 21:19 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a convertable 2002 Kia Sportage, I love this car and I am sad to say in a few weeks I will be selling it to a buddy at work. My Sportage has 119,000 miles on it now, I bought it with 9,000! So far I have had to replace the roof (vinyl top) that was because for the first 4 years of ownership I did not have a garage!! The air-conditioner compressor locked up at about 60,000, but being a convertable, why do you need A/C? The 4 wheel drive went out about the same time, somthing about the seals rotting?? And just recently had the Master Brake Cylinder replaced. You might say, how can this guy still love this car?? I have had it for 8 years now, and it never quit on me!! A faithful friend

Would like a convertible Sportage next time
By leigh922 on 12/12/10 06:08 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

In nearly 2 years of ownership, really liked this SUV. My biggest complaint is the hassle of the spare tire holder being mounted on the rear hatch. You must have two hands available to open and close the rear - what a pain! Otherwise, it was roomy, the 4WD worked great, the fuel economy was as expected for the class and I had few issues. I suspected a head gasket leak at around 80,000 mi but despite the smell and liquid on the garage floor every day, no one could identify the leak source. Now that I can get another car, I'm looking for a convertible Sportage 4WD - best of all worlds!

Got My Money's Worth!
By prissy on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this suv only for the fuel mileage. My job required traveling and I live on the road. This car has surpassed my expectations on fuel savings and other than changing the oil & routine servicing, it hasn't cost me one penny! When I purchased it, it had 22k miles & now I'm just over 113k miles. This is a lightweight suv and I found it odd to be rear-wheel drive. It isn't a luxury vehicle but I didn't buy it thinking it was. It's been a great vehicle and has saved me lots in gas and was easy to own. Low auto insurance, maintenance and property taxes. Not a great ride for long trips but if gas consumption is your concern - look no further!

Kia Sportage 2WD Convertible -Must Read-
By Majali on 04/04/10 05:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have purchased my 2002 convertible Sportage in 2008 and have put 24m000 miles on it since then. It's a great good looking affordable car. It has a special charisma. This STRONG Vehicle has literally saved my life, after hitting a parked car from behind while doing 100 mph the damage was slight regardless that the Honda i hit got totaled! Featuring 3 air bags/Automatic Transmission/AC Easily removed cool soft top options. The 2.0 L is strong enough for a small below 2000 LB's SUV ( it has served a BMW 520). Doing 20 MPG City and Crazy 30 MPG highway miles. I don't have any more mechanical troubles after doing a full maintenance a year ago. It maneuvers perfectly, but i wish it was 4WD for sand

Decent value for a second vehicle.
By Dan O on 03/06/10 12:11 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Looked around for an inexpensive second vehicle for the wife. Considered sedans(e.g cobalt, g5, focus & corolla), but eventually I stumble upon a fully loaded kia sportage. It was exactly what she needed to get around town, it had 4x4, lots of room and 4 doors. Sure it was a little underpowered, but around the city she really didn't really need to be a speed demon. The 4x4 works great in snowy conditions, the storage capacity in the back is functional (Fit a dresser in the kia, even with the back seats not able to lye flush with the back). The aluminum rims can be a pain, especially with air pressure loss. This vehicle is fun, practical, and for us has been a valued purchase.

Great First Car
By Elizabeth on 07/22/09 06:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my Kia. It was my first car. I chose it because it could fit everything I owned inside of it. Not only did it haul me down to Georgia from Ohio but then moved all of my stuff to Florida a few months later. It also made the move to Dallas and back wonderfully. I consistently take it on long trips and it has never given me any trouble. It's a comfortable ride and gets great mileage on the highway. Of the 2 problems I have had the 1st (cracked master cylinder) was under warranty and the 2nd (fluid in the brakes) was my fault. I didn't use the 4WD enough in the florida climate and hoses disintegrated. The dealer told me, but I decided not to fix it and it caused the brakes.

My first Kia
By C.Knill on 03/12/09 16:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a 4x4 bought it used then it cost me $1800 to get the front wheels to work properly.Serviced at the dealship and was treated like royalty. I LOVE the fact its full frame and not a unibody!!! ABS and brake warning light come on stay on till shut down and restart for no reason. Low power but hey 4cyl and 4x4 dont mix LOL. Made its way through 4 feet of snow last winter and numerous flooded streets this spring!!Rugged little beasty...I'm happy with it.

2002 with 152,000 & still going
By Mike on 06/03/08 15:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very well put together car. Blew timing belt at 120,000, so small stuff also, nothing major. I intend to buy another Kia next year and hope it's as good as this one. No more 4 cylinders, no power and gas mileage is nothing to crow about. I liked the interior design, but the slide out drink tray has broke 3 times, all the lower flap coming off. Still, I would recommend this car to anyone. I sold and was a service director in chicagoland dealerships for 27 years. This was as good as any Chevy or Dodge that I had as a demo. Oh yes, I still have original rear brakes and they are like new. I am on my 3rd front set, which I think is a normal amount. Like I said. Great car!

Do NOT buy if you drive in rain or snow
By Lori on 05/20/08 11:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a 4x4, bt extremely dangerous to drive in rain or snow, doing below speed limit. The backend slides out constantly, regardless of having new tires because of it being a light weight vehicle. When problems arose w/ an oil leak, the dealer blamed express lube. I was given an attitude by the dealer. They were very expensive. When 4x4 wasn't working, th car was in shop for 3 days, returned unfixed and had to drop it back off for 3 mere days! I replaced the fan belts, alternator and starter. Another annoying fact, it would gt stuck in reverse all the time. I would have to roll a little in reverse, then put in drve for it to go forward from a parked position. It was very noisy w/ the soft top. Catalytic converter smelled going uphill, dlr sd normal