Used 2002 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

great friend for almost 14 years
By M Allen

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My only complaints have been 'cosmetic' interior, such as: cup holder is above radio, clock and climate control, and it is shaped in such a way that when in use my hand slams into it, as I have manual transmission. Another thing I wish I had checked before buying it is how back seats fold up to enlarge cargo space. Since they fold up against the front seats at least 8 possible inches are lost. Better idea would be if they could lay flat. I bought it for safety features. Structurally better than other baby SUVs of the period, as it is a small truck frame and drives like a small truck; has cross beams in the doors and an extra air bag for driver's knees. It has been rear ended 3 times, progressively worse each time, and fully repaired the first 2 times. This time hit and run while it was parked, at a speed high enough to throw it about 20 feet forward, still waiting on the verdict of fixability, but is totally drivable and seems structurally sound except for the smashed rear lift door and spare tire. I have been the only owner and have been quite happy with it.

Cheap, Fun 4x4
By aleksg

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sportage for 350 dollars, so I wasn't expecting perfection.

It has 228k km on the clock, and the manual transmission is noisy, the synchros are worn, so it shifts hard when cold, but still works.

All of the door handles were loose or broken when I got mine, but these problems are easy to fix for a weekend warrior because the door panels are a cinch to remove. The window switches are a common problem, but also very easy to fix.

Basically this is a car you can buy for REAL cheap from someone who doesn't know how to fix small problems. Then you fix them yourself and boom, perfectly good car.

The full-lock 4WD is great, and very very easy to use, there's no special procedure, you just click it in, click it out. For the weight, it gets decent mileage, and is fairly peppy for a 128hp 2.0L engine. Cargo space is decent. The A/C and heat work really nicely. The suspension absorbs big gaps in the road nicely.

The cupholders, door handles, and basically all other plastic in the Sportage is junk. However, the cupholders break in such a way that drink cups from fast food joints still fit just fine. Just not pop cans or bottles. Improve the plastic! Also include a rear locking differential. An open diff on a RWD car is a joke.

Love my Kia, a real trooper!!!
By rrman79

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a convertable 2002 Kia Sportage, I love this car and I am sad to say in a few weeks I will be selling it to a buddy at work.
My Sportage has 119,000 miles on it now, I bought it with 9,000! So far I have had to replace the roof (vinyl top) that was because for the first 4 years of ownership I did not have a garage!! The air-conditioner compressor locked up at about 60,000, but being a convertable, why do you need A/C? The 4 wheel drive went out about the same time, somthing about the seals rotting?? And just recently had the Master Brake Cylinder replaced. You might say, how can this guy still love this car?? I have had it for 8 years now, and it never quit on me!!
A faithful friend

Strong frame!! I broadsided a car full speed, all the damage it did was knock the bumper off!! This car took a good hit, hard enough to knock the other vehicle's tire in sideways! The good thing was nobody got hurt! The trunk room was also a great thing, I hauled a lawn-mower and snow blower all over town. This is by-far the best car I have ever owned, I now have a Rondo, Kia is a great car company. Despite the small repairs I had to make, this car has held up so well. I work on the Railroad, and drive this car all over bad conditions, and it has held up like a champ, I am gonna miss the Purple Monster!!!

I wish they would put the clock in a better place, if you had any drinks in the cup holders you could not see the clock. The belt also made a fair amount of noise in idle, not so much to be overbearing, but still a little annoying. Changing the oil was a little tough, wish the filter could be in another place, but after awhile, it was just a whole lot easier to take it in to a oil-change garage, and have them do it.

Would like a convertible Sportage next time
By leigh922

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

In nearly 2 years of ownership, really liked this SUV. My biggest complaint is the hassle of the spare tire holder being mounted on the rear hatch. You must have two hands available to open and close the rear - what a pain! Otherwise, it was roomy, the 4WD worked great, the fuel economy was as expected for the class and I had few issues.
I suspected a head gasket leak at around 80,000 mi but despite the smell and liquid on the garage floor every day, no one could identify the leak source.
Now that I can get another car, I'm looking for a convertible Sportage 4WD - best of all worlds!

4WD, power windows, compact size and still quite roomy. Did everything I ever asked of it.

Find somewhere else for the spare tire! Please!!!

Got My Money's Worth!
By prissy

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this suv only for the fuel mileage. My job required traveling and I live on the road. This car has surpassed my expectations on fuel savings and other than changing the oil & routine servicing, it hasn't cost me one penny! When I purchased it, it had 22k miles & now I'm just over 113k miles. This is a lightweight suv and I found it odd to be rear-wheel drive. It isn't a luxury vehicle but I didn't buy it thinking it was. It's been a great vehicle and has saved me lots in gas and was easy to own. Low auto insurance, maintenance and property taxes. Not a great ride for long trips but if gas consumption is your concern - look no further!

Few stops for fill-ups, tight turning radius-great for parking in tight places and getting around in traffic. Plenty of cargo room and folding forward back seats if you need additional room.

Drink holder could have been better situated but I'm use to it. Not fun driving on interstate or in high winds - suv is too light & you get blown around at times. Uncomfortable seats during long trips but otherwise a SOLID car.