2001 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Think twice about a kia sportage!
By UnhappywithKia on 04/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i'm only leasing my kia & i cant wait until 5/05 when this lease is over. rear window motors replaced twice, broken again, muffler fell off, entire exhaust sytem replaced. overheated... radiator,thermostat,water pump & some gasket thing replaced, power steering belt broke. over 20 trips to the dealership in 3 yrs...more problems than my last 4 vehicles combined!

Big Mistake
By bjohnson on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage EX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle partly due to the warranty and because of the affordability. Big mistake. I now know why it has such an extensive warranty - you'll need it. Poor quality interior. Constant problems with electric windows not working. Replaced master cyclinder. Cup holders breaking. Air conditioner now broken. Shudders while sitting at lights. Transmission doesn't shift gears properly. Depreciates in value so quickly I will be stuck with it for years to come.

2001 kia sportage limited ex edition
By Ruth DeBolt on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Sportage EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

No engine problems so far. Found it to be excellent on snowy roads. Radio reception not very good. Don't like where the front cup holders are located since it covers up the h/ac dials and clock. Have had some electronic window problems with the back passenger window and the heater fan continues to blow after the heater has been turned off. had it fixed once but the problem returned and haven't bothered getting it looked at again. The brake dust is a minor problem on the front wheels that my husband complains about. but all in all we have found it to be a good deal and will probably buy another kia

Cheap Thrills
By bollybob on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nice looking SUV but it can't go up hills without a tail wind. It takes about ten minutes of wheezing to get up to speed. Beware of side winds. ALL dash mounted controls are BEHIND the cupholder or hidden somewhere behind the steering wheel. Backseat works for groceries but not anyone over 4 foot tall. Zero problems mechanically. Amusing Kor-english owners manual. Radio/CD doesn't have a clock because, yes, the clock is also behind the cup holder. As is the heater controls and emergency flashers. But hey, coffee is more important.

sportage
By jen b. on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Sportage EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Owned for two years, taken off on rollback twice for warranty claims (mechanical). Has had new master cylinder, fuel inj system, cat converters, wiring, seats, drink holder, window motors(2) replaced. OK vehicle but would NOT buy again. Trade in value awful. Sick of truck and stuck with it until I can break even. On good side - great in snow and good for kids. On bad side - my 22 year old car has better reliability record. Manual tranny definitely better power than automatic. OK for someone just starting out because of warranty, but be prepared for problems.

LEMON ON WHEELS
By KPLIN on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My very first new car and I had to buy this one. It spends more time in the shop then in my driveway. Rotors bad, over and over, rear shot, windows don't work, oil leaks, 4wheel drive broken - twice and the list continues. Wouldn't recommend this car to my enemy. All it needs is a picture of a lemon put on the side and it would be perfect. Resale value dropped so bad, I cant even afford to get rid of the darn thing. No wonder its discontinued.

Good vehicle for the $
By Little Jim on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great warranty! USA manufacturers could learn from Kia. This is a fun truck for less money than all other competitors. If you want reliable transportation with lots of interior room, built on a truck frame with a Mazda B2000 truck engine, this is your vehicle.

Ok to own
By Aw on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great for the money

Nizzies
By Phiedens on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a sportage EX 4wd I used to have an Jeep Cherokee, and I like the sportage better. Does surprisingly well off road. Great interior. Good sound system. Has turned out to be very reliable. Best warranty you'll get. Good visibility. Poor power, could have a little more room. Great mileage

Mr
By Paul Thandi on 07/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

By the way, my other vehicle is a Mercedes M430 which, the pile of crap, has had more problems than my Sportage. Actually, the Kia is my wife's but I don't mind driving it at all. It is sooo much fun. Trust me, the other suv's aren't much better. I've owned 7 and this one is the most fun.