Used 2001 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2001 Kia Sportage SUV

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Why all the bad reviews?
By TNelson

2001 Kia Sportage SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Sportage and plan on keeping it for another 8 yrs or so. I also had issues with the power windows and 'chirping' fan belt but I also had an excellent Dealer to deal with who actually honored my warranty. When I drive in the snow, I can pass ANY car on the road with flying colors!

Favorite Features

Ladder frame, tire on the back, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

This car does need more power, I have to agree!

rip off
By Tim

2001 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Timing belt broke at 105,000 miles and I'm being told that after the belt breaks while driving it ruins the engine. Nice to know after it breaks that when this happens it is self destruction. Basicly made to be a disposible vehicle.

Favorite Features

The drive was fun. But not made to run long.

Suggested Improvements

A motor built to last, puting a sensor on the timing belt like a crank shaft position sensor to let you know when there is a patential problem with the tolorance of the belt before the engine destroys itself

horrible
By e4evergone4everu

2001 Kia Sportage SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

i have owned my 2001 kia sportage for about a year. and it's my 1st car. i have had the worst experience with it. it has now been in the shop for 3 months. first it was the alternator and battery. then a fuse and still isn't fixed. I have taken it to more then one shop and no one can find the problem! not to mention the visor broke off and the cup holder broke. which is really sad because i love this car its fun to drive good on gas. but overall has been a horrible car to have.

Same Problems
By Kevin

2001 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Same old things happening to me as well. Rear window on right will not open. Motor replaced 3 times. New Rear end, Gearbox, clutch replaced 3 times. First when Gearbox went. Driveshaft dropped out while driving. 4X4 does not work. I repalced with standard hubs. ($1600.0o to try to fix orgional) Molding clips let go. Painr bubbling over winshield. Plugs and wires replaced before they should have been. Cup holder both front and back pice of junk.Gas tank neck clogged and now it burps out gas if you try to fill normally.Rear coil spring on passenger side repalced twice.Engine light stays on regardless.Heater motor and switches replaced.Rear sparetire bracket replaced. More o So much fun right...

Favorite Features

I did get the standard and as such I do get a better performance on the highway.(Iam avg 30 mpg highway)This little truck does have the power that I need. I have had her off roading alot and have never been left stuck nor unable to go where I want to go. The ride is very comfortable regardless

Suggested Improvements

Better parts...

Good Car
By afp98823

2001 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Out of all the horror stories of previous reviews. I must be a lucky one. My Kia has 88,000 miles. It runs great. No interior accessories broken. Everything electrical works. 4WD work. Heater works great. A/C works great. Everything works great. The only thing I am disappointed of is Gas Mileage. (Whoever heard of a 2.0L 4cyl getting 17mpg city?)

Favorite Features

Side, and front view look. 4WD. Roof rack.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality interior parts. More HP. Better gas mileage.