Used 2001 Kia Sportage Base Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

2001 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Good SUV
By Leon Bell

2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We have had this 2001 sportage for over 5 years now, the only motor items we have replaced are the timing belt and items to replace with it, and the starter. We replaced the vacuum 4x4 with aftermarket lockouts, the vacuum 4x4 are junk from the factory. As for the interior, the cup holder and console container lid are trash, wiper started blowing fuses when turning off, replaced fuse with a breaker, right rear window quit working so I unhooked the window motor when I got it to go back up. Other then the few problems we have had, it has been a very dependable LITTLE suv. Due to age and handicap, I'm replacing it with a 2002 Buick P A. I had a 1994 Park Avenue and loved it. The Sportage now has about 136,000 miles on it,
runs very good for not having a tune up done to it sense we got it. Normal oil-service done to it and automatic trans still operating like new.

Transmission Sensor
By bill

2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the perfect vehicle for the city inwhich I reside, narrow streets and no relative high speed areas. However my Sportage has the power to move out on the highway when necessary. A fun vehicle to drive. I love it! Too bad you guys stopped making this model. I do like the new Sportage SUV, but my 2001 Kia fits the bill!! I would have bought one of these new had I known about the vehicle at that time.

I guess my favorite feature would be the removable canvas top. Living in South Florida makes it a real fun drive around town car.

Would have liked to see some improvements with the sensor located in the transmission. This sensor when it goes bad causes the speedomed to stop working, the check engine lite to stay on and the hold light to flash. Had it repaired once but only worked properly for two weeks. Still love the car!

Little Red Wagon Convertible
By Shammy from AZ

2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Have a Red 2001 2 door automatic Sportage with 2WD. I bought it used and love it! The truck is reliable. I drive 80 miles a day. A blast with the rear top removed. The seats are comfortable and you have a good view of the road ahead. The 2.0 Mazda engine runs strong and the acceleration is fast enough to pass traffic. The 4 speed automatic shifts smooth except when the truck is cold ... then it locks out overdrive until warm. Does ride like a truck but that is expected. The frame is tough as I live on a dirt road with lots of ruts and bumps. With the exception of squeaks and rattles this truck is holding up very well. The previous owner maintained it well. Hoping to get many miles out of her.

-Convertible ... a blast and makes the ride fun. -High off the ground. -Super tight turning circle. -Truck frame based. -Takes bumps and ruts well. -Red Color -Many wheel options. -Less expensive than a Wrangler with as much FUN! -Rear Roll Bar. -235/75/15 tire upgrade.

-Easier way to open rear hatch without having to unclip top. -Faster way to remove rear seats from vehicle. -Larger Fuel tank. -Larger tires. -4WD with Automatic in 2 door model.

The half a truck
By Fnkycld

2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My experiences are great with my
vehicle. Don't have any major
complains, you just can't get a
perfect vehicle. You would want
features from all vehicle if it could
possably be done.

Accessably of all the controls and the cup holders.

The converable top, when unzipping the zipper hits the chrome bar. Poor design with opening the back door, the rear window must be removed in order to open the back.

Itiswhatitis
By Getaclue

2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I enjoy my sportage convertible! Did
any of you that complain think you were
buying an M Class or BMW SUV? For the
money and considering the warranty it's
a solid value. Needed more power and
the cup holders suck, but it looks like
nothing else out there when the top is
down and zips around town very well.The
new generation Kias are much better, so
I guess we're...pioneers!

unique style

Doesn't matter, they don't make em anymore!