2001 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Why all the bad reviews?
By TNelson on 08/11/10 19:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Sportage and plan on keeping it for another 8 yrs or so. I also had issues with the power windows and 'chirping' fan belt but I also had an excellent Dealer to deal with who actually honored my warranty. When I drive in the snow, I can pass ANY car on the road with flying colors!

rip off
By Tim on 04/28/10 05:02 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Timing belt broke at 105,000 miles and I'm being told that after the belt breaks while driving it ruins the engine. Nice to know after it breaks that when this happens it is self destruction. Basicly made to be a disposible vehicle.

horrible
By e4evergone4everu on 03/17/10 21:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

i have owned my 2001 kia sportage for about a year. and it's my 1st car. i have had the worst experience with it. it has now been in the shop for 3 months. first it was the alternator and battery. then a fuse and still isn't fixed. I have taken it to more then one shop and no one can find the problem! not to mention the visor broke off and the cup holder broke. which is really sad because i love this car its fun to drive good on gas. but overall has been a horrible car to have.

Same Problems
By Kevin on 11/23/09 10:50 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Sportage EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Same old things happening to me as well. Rear window on right will not open. Motor replaced 3 times. New Rear end, Gearbox, clutch replaced 3 times. First when Gearbox went. Driveshaft dropped out while driving. 4X4 does not work. I repalced with standard hubs. ($1600.0o to try to fix orgional) Molding clips let go. Painr bubbling over winshield. Plugs and wires replaced before they should have been. Cup holder both front and back pice of junk.Gas tank neck clogged and now it burps out gas if you try to fill normally.Rear coil spring on passenger side repalced twice.Engine light stays on regardless.Heater motor and switches replaced.Rear sparetire bracket replaced. More o So much fun right...

Good Car
By afp98823 on 08/13/09 21:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Out of all the horror stories of previous reviews. I must be a lucky one. My Kia has 88,000 miles. It runs great. No interior accessories broken. Everything electrical works. 4WD work. Heater works great. A/C works great. Everything works great. The only thing I am disappointed of is Gas Mileage. (Whoever heard of a 2.0L 4cyl getting 17mpg city?)

What a pile...
By emtsuj on 07/23/09 09:56 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a pile of junk. I have had to fix ignition coils, replace sparks plugs(x4), air conditioning doesn't work, heat only works on the highest or lowest setting, thermostat (x2), timing belt, other belts, battery, starter, alternator, catalyc converter, entire exhaust, transmission, and the fan clutch. The 4WD doesn't work, and I haven't been able to find a mechanic that will touch it. I have had 3 out of the 4 doors break so that they either won't open from inside or out, and the windows on all 4 doors have needed to be fixed at one time or another because they wouldn't open or shut. 2 of the seatbelts are broken and cant be used. Cupholders, paint, ALL JUNK! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

Not the Best!
By meh on 06/05/09 07:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bougth this thing used. I read reviews before I bought it, and I ignored them, thinking it can't be that bad. I was wrong. Problems after problems with this thing, I blew out the front dif, gas leaks, slow acceleration, no power, and just before I traded it in, it would only start once in a while... piece of junk.

What a disaster...
By Lan Lan on 05/01/09 18:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new... loved it for about 6 months when everything went wrong... Replaced exhaust 3 times, drive train broke and service center destroyed my hubs (to factory standard apparently)... heater fan replaced 2x... took it to a non-dealership to have heat shield replaced and weld one in... rear seatbelt (where my kid's where)... broke and wasn't usable... dealership wanted $150. to replace, bought at a wrecker for $20., rear hinges on rear tire bracket rusted within a year... no warranty here either!(look at all of them they all rust!)... All I discovered about Kia was don't trust their warranty. I'd never... ever buy one again!

Transmission Sensor
By bill on 04/08/09 19:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the perfect vehicle for the city inwhich I reside, narrow streets and no relative high speed areas. However my Sportage has the power to move out on the highway when necessary. A fun vehicle to drive. I love it! Too bad you guys stopped making this model. I do like the new Sportage SUV, but my 2001 Kia fits the bill!! I would have bought one of these new had I known about the vehicle at that time.

GOOD RIG FOR THE $
By RICK on 03/11/09 21:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sportage EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Sportage new to replace a nissan that had over 300k on it! My expectations were high and for the most part I am very satisfied. Now my Sportage has 246k miles and as long as I replace the drive belt and change the oil as scheduled I should get much much more out of it. The horsepower is a bit low so I ordered it with a manual 5 spd trans to help make up the difference and the cup holder is a piece of crap but other than that, I love it! My plan now is to retire it from the road and turn it into a toy for offroad!!