2000 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Great SUV for the money
By williwasfirst on 09/04/11 07:16 AM (PDT)

2000 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I had a 2000 Kia Sportage base automatic 4x4 (there is no option for that exact car on Edmunds form here so I picked the closest. I drove this car from about 15,000 miles to 100,000, cross country and back. There are nicer SUVs out there obviously but this one was reliable and inexpensive. It's also kind of fun to drive. The 4x4 is great in snow. Also if you live in the city and park on the street you will love it. At 156 inches long, it's very easy to parallel park. I was always amazed at the spots I could fit in. Easier than a Honda Civic.

So-so Sportage
By kslater91 on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my Kia for 3 years its my first car. I have had to put A LOT of work into it. The original owner ran her hard. First some wires rusted and fell apart, a wire on my brakes got twisted, my rear axle rusted over and broke, (that was scary), one of my back doors wont open from the outside, I recently had a problem that is I go through gas way too fast and when I go to fill up it makes a really weird hissing sound! I had this part removed from the gas tank to prevent it from rusting so its not that. But when I get the money to get it fixed it will be perfectly fine. I love it!

Over 200k!
By nobother on 08/19/10 16:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased mine used 6 years ago to get me through the snowy mountains of Virginia, and it has never let me down. I drive it about 3500 miles per month and so far these are the only repairs: brakes, tires, 02 sensor (at 150k miles), batteries (gone through several of these), power window switch. Cloth seats feel cheap, but otherwise the interior is well planned and accessories are convenient. Exterior, for me, is pretty rough--it sort of looks like a beefy go-cart. I would recommend one for a new driver who will have to deal with inclement weather conditions. Easy to maneuver in snow/rain, easy to park, and there is plenty of glass all the way around so drivers can see surroundings

Kia Sportage 4 Dr Base
By Jim on 06/10/10 12:34 PM (PDT)

2000 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

Love my Sportage, fun to drive, decent power for 4 cylinder, enjoy standard shift, mechanically sound. Gas milage around 19-20 city, 26 mpg highway. Do not like cup holder location, AM/FM cassette radio could be better. Overall pleased with vehicle, plan on keeping for another 100,000 miles. Changing timing belt and water pump at 103,000 miles as preventative maintenance.

not satisfied with the 4x4 performance!
By fitz on 01/11/10 05:56 AM (PST)

2000 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV

We bought it as an extra vehicle for short trips (also have a suburban we love). It is fun to drive. Easy to park. Mine is an automatic. If you really get on the throttle the motor is sufficient but definitely not high performance. I have Michelin Harmony tires. It does a bit better than a 2wd on snow and ice. Forget it off road. Its definitely not a true 4x4. Maybe mine has a mechanical problem??? The ds front and rear slip. The other side seldom spins. If I can't get this resolved I'm going to try a Toyota truck. I need something that will go in all road, terrain and weather conditions.

WORSE CAR EVER...RUN AWAY!
By Angelica on 12/30/09 00:18 AM (PST)

2000 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I will never in my life ever recommend ANY Kia car to anyone. This car was an absolute nightmare from the hour after I purchased it. Car had a busted radiator, which was fixed the next day. After that it ran smooth for about a good two weeks, then I had an electrical problem. Imagine riding down the highway at night going maybe 70 mph and all of a sudden every light, the interior, head and tail lights all of a sudden going dark? Yeah, it was that bad. Then it had a idling problem...finally I forced the dealership to trade it in for something much better. I would have paid $4,000 for this car, its not even worth $40!!!!

SO-so, not sure I'd buy again
By Y. J. on 07/30/09 08:35 AM (PDT)

2000 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

Gets you from here to there. Fun to drive. NOT a hot rod, so don't expect one. Good on storage for long trips. Have to get out and stretch every couple hundred miles. Can carry 4x8 sheets. Kia was good about repairing while under warranty (minor body rust, CD/radio, AC condensation on passenger side). Gas tank rusted out after 7 years and 85,000 miles, Kia would not replace and would have cost me about $1200 - 1500 to replace. Not worth it.

Not a good idea
By Lace on 11/02/08 16:34 PM (PST)

2000 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

I got a kia sportage for my first car, because I thought "hey I could get a mini suv and have it good on gas. Well it is nothing like a suv there is no room in the back seat and I always had my friends knees in my back. When I first got the car nothing was wrong with it but 2 weeks later we had to do a $600 repair, and the ac couldn't be on because then the car would over heat. It has been in the shop well over 6 times and I have had it only fir about a year, and now the radiator split. All in all it is the worst car I could have ever chosen to be my first car. Parents please dont get this car for your child as there first car.

Eight for the moola
By Boberto on 09/01/08 12:36 PM (PDT)

2000 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I use this puppy to haul the ole race car around and man does it do the job. The car weighs in at about 4500 lbs and this thing drives without even knowing it's there. Even with the high mileage I was surprised to see it never hurt my fuel economy. I would recommend this little engine that definitely could for anyone towing light campers and needing that 4wd to help get to those out of the way places.

College Student DREAM SUV!
By Charles on 08/01/08 13:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV

I bought my Kia Sportage used, with around 70K miles. I've been wanting this one for two years, and was NOT disappointed. In a little less than a year, i've already put 20K miles on her - and it still driving like new. I got a white one with gray interior and it's definitely a looker! I've parked next to plenty of new year model SUV's (Saturn Vue, VW Tiguan, Honda CR-V) and my Sportage looks just as good! I've been way up in the mountains and through the valleys and have been very pleased with ride quality and handling. Ice cold A/C is a blessing in this Southern California heat! My hour-long commute to the university is a real treat. Awesome car for college students!