1999 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Pleasantly Surprised
By GWolff on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

First time I ever bought a used car; mine had 40K miles on it when I bought it. First attracted by styling and fact that I would not and could not invest bigger dollars into one of the bigger size wagons/SUV's. Have not been disappointed. Car maneuvers well in daily highway driving. Like sitting "high up" in driver's seat. More than enough interior room.

Kia has been good to us!
By Elle on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

We bought our Kia in 1999 and have been very pleased with it. It just now has about 62,000 miles and we've only had 1 problem with it which was covered under the warranty. We paid much more for a Mountaineer and have more troubles with it. :( The reliability is great, gas mileage is great compared to other SUV's and fair compared to normal cars (but that is to be expected). We've taken this car on many trips and we are pleased. Only design flaw we've noticed is when you have the cup holder out it blocks some of the heating/cooling controls. We have been VERY pleased with our purchase and now we are starting to look at the Kia Optima's.

My Kia
By Gary W. on 04/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

it is not good on ice or snow covered roads un less you are in 4 wheel drive. Very fast to spin out of control in 2 wheel drive on ice and snow covered roads. Great gas millage. Iam getting 27-30 mpg at 55mph on interstates roads. Lack of power and even more so when air is on and a drop in fuel milage to. Tilt steering wheel is alot to be desired. Many little things were wrong when I bought it used but Kia covered them. Had trouble with tail lights going out, Seat belt that wouldn,t latch, and now door handle on back door will stick open to make back door hard to close...Lots of little things...

review
By skinman on 04/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

We have been very happy with our Sportage. It was well made, we would buy a Kia again.

No complaints after three months
By SwellShrink on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV

This subSUV has been a pleasant surprise; a dependable and fun car to drive around town. I've averaged 23 mpg. Haven't taken it on a long trip yet have been satisfied with its acceleration and steadiness at 60 to 70 mph.

My new convertible
By norski on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV 4WD

Just bought this vehicle. It has everything for a fraction of the price. Conv and 4WD!! Haven't taken it in the mountains yet, but runs great and the ride is very stable. Nice lookin too. Haven't seen too many around. Ride a lot better than more expensive vehicles, including the Jeep Wrangler, whose wind noise is beyond reproach....Very happy so far. 42,000 miles when I bought it.

I love my KIA
By willamanthea on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV

Been Driving it for 3 yrs with a few minor problems that were fixed under warranty. Overall, Its GREAT for the money. The ride is more comfortable than the trucks I test drove, thats why I bought it. The interior was 10x better than the trucks I priced in the same price range. The manufacturer made sure the dealership didnt pull any short cuts when I brought it in for work. (they tried to charge while it wa s still under warranty.

Keeps on tickin !!
By MadMan on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

Just hit 120k Miles and still running strong... looking for a good low cost vehicle take advantage of KIA....! Buy the stick shift... and you will love it... auto is a little under powered !

Danger
By Michael P Power,Sr on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased a sportage and had nothing but problems,like the 4WD broke twice the right front wheel almost fell off. Local dealers refuses to work on it even warranty work and KIA let them. It was totaled on 8/29/02 when it had a right rear tire blow-out and spun out off control. I was lucky it didn't flip over.

I do not like it.
By Fire Figher Sean on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

My vehicle has had many problems. (ex:the front brake system has needed replaced 2 times, electrical problems, body molding fell off several times, the rear suspetion needed replaced at 20,000mi, the clutch has needed replaced/ repaired 3 times) and there is much more. The vehicle is fun to drive when it is working, and is gret in the snow. It also is noisy, and has many rattles, and other engine noises not usually heard in other vehicles. Last of all you can't sell them the after market value of a Kia is extremely low.