Used 1999 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Very Unsatisfied
By Arizona Heat

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Kia for a little more than 3 years. At first it was really fun and exciting but within 1 year everything started to fall apart. It was way overpriced for what it is. Do not get a Kia Sportage.

I do like to drive it with the top off. In AZ it's nice to feel the air but be covered from the sun. Its size is small and easy to maneuver.

The CD player is horrible. It won't eject my CD. My window won't stay up. I can't accelerate at all so I fear getting hit all the time. The cup holder won't go back in the dash. Both visors broke and are hanging, the seatbelts had to be replaced, and I had had a few break-ins because of the soft windows.

By dan muffett

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Kia nearly 4 years ago. I liked the style and the 100,000 mile coverage. Little did I know I would need it constantly. Here are the problems as they occurred: fuse relays out on electrical (both), bracket connecting oil filter defective and replaced, heater blower replaced, door lock replaced, main engine wire loom and fuse box replaced. There is more. Many of the small plastic item in the car have broken with normal use; sun visor clips, blower knob etc.

It looks nice.

They stopped making this model. That was the best thing they could have done. To Kia's credit the new model seems to be much better.

money sucking little suv
By leannscissorhands

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I could not believe that this site had this car rated this high for its consumer ratings. I am on this site doing research to buy a used car to replace this one (something we should have done the moment we paid it off). I cannot express how poorly this vehicle has performed for us the last 5 years. I think we have replaced just about everything but the car itself. We have this year alone spent $1500 to keep the stupid thing running; most recently it was the rear differential that was replaced. That was the last straw for me. I was hoping to drive it for a few more years but with 95,000 miles on it I think it best to just part ways and never buy Kia again.

Size.

Gaskets around all windows to reduce road noise and allow you to go through a car wash without getting soaked.

Dependable
By Jamie

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Kia Sportage new in 1999. It has been a great car and is really fun little SUV to drive. I would recommend this vehicle if you want a cheaply priced and dependable car.

a real value
By BillyS

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

Five years and still happy! Repairs are typical and inexpensive, still runs great, solid, reliable. I bought three yr warranty, wish they had the 10 yr warranty at the time. But, she has served us well.

4 x 4. stadium seating, tranny power mode. Low price.

More hp, better shift on the fly system, get rid of the "psycho wipers"