Used 1999 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

1999 Kia Sportage Ex
By John

1999 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I decided to write a review, after coming across this site. Im the original owner of my sportage that just turned 191,000 miles. It has had usual repairs and maintenance. The only costly repair was the 4x4 hub upgrade. Found out you can install manual hubs cost $120. Other than that it still has the original engine and trans. I get almost 23 mpg with A/C on and averaging 70 mph. Sometimes they build lemons. Other times the repair facilities don't know what they are doing,throwing parts at it. Sorry to hear about the bad sporatges. But I plan on keeping mine until it breaks in half.

Cup holder audio system, good visibility, great A/C

The 4wd system, more powerful engine.

Will never buy another Kia...Ever!
By Kia-Hater

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with 71k miles thinking the low miles for 10 year old car would be a good thing. The mileage makes no difference when the car itself is such a lemon. Kia engineered the Sportage to have absolutely no pep, no style, cannot make it through 4 inches of snow even with studded snow tires, and gets bad gas mileage. There is no redeeming quality that compensates its weaknesses. I would trade horsepower for gas mileage or for getting through snow. I've owned little cars that handled and went through snow with no problem. It's ridiculous this 4WDR SUV wont go up a small hill on a dirt road with studded snows. I absolutely HATE this car so much that I will never buy another Kia.

Former Kia Sportage Owner
By Allworld

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

I owned a 1999 Kia Sportage for 18 months until I was hit by a drunk driver two months ago; the car was totaled. I purchased the car with 93,000 miles on it. My thoughts. Although my car was in the shop frequently, I chalked it up to the age of the car. 1.Alternator replaced. 2.Hose replaced leading from gas filler cap to the gas tank. 3.Fan Belts replaced. 4.Tires replaced. 5.Wire replaced under hood leading to starter. 6.A/C duct cleaned twice due to bad smell. 7.Stick shift knob replaced. 8.Electric motors to both rear windows replaced. $300.0 9.Valve cover gasket replaced along with other components $533.00 10.Engine service light was always on; mechanics couldn't fix it

The cup holder was very convenient. I read a previous review in which someone complained about liquid spilling when one went over a bump, I don't agree with this statement. I truly believe this person had the top off his/her drink when this occurred, which doesn't make much sense.

Better gas mileage. The mileage was terrible, about 19 miles per gallon.

Haven't had it long...
By SSMtn Biker

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV 4WD

...but as a gift from my Dad when our second car let loose,the price was definately right. My Dad had it for 3 years (he was the 2nd owner),and used it only in bad weather to go to work,and to tote his garbage trailer around his 47 acres). It will need a top (I found hardtops online for under a grand shipped),there is a crack (that apparently doesn't hurt anything) in the exhaust manifold-making it sound like a "tin-lizzy"-and it has some rust issues (left fender,gas tank,and 2 larger holes in rear fender-wells I'll have to patch),but it has proven reliable for him,and so far has for me. They really hurts acceleration,but it fits 31x10.50" tires w/out mods...I like it so far,cheap&fun :)

Exterior styling,fits 31x10.50" tires without mods,compact size,4x4,good MPG's,not very many like it around.

Hmm...there's no way to lock the rear end,due to the top's mounting arrangement,and it feels a little...flimsy...compared to more robust sport-utes I've owned. Bring this body style (2 door soft top,short wheel base) back,and I would be intersted in the new gen Sportage :)

DON'T BUY THIS CAR!
By MissF

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

From the day we purchased this vehicle it has been NOTHING but problems. The electrical system, the brakes, the transmission, everything that could go wrong has. I will NEVER, EVER buy a kia again. EVER. Barely at a hundred thousand miles and this car is on it's last leg.

Easy to park, because it's short. Looks really cute.

Oh! Everything. I suggest they do what they did and just forget about this car.