1999 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews 2

1999 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Little car that couldn't
By cstauffer on 01/22/09 21:39 PM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

Had to replace the front hubs 4 times and the whole front end once already computer went bad, oil filter holder cracked. Catalytic converter 2 times all the belts 2 times tires get replaced every year. exhaust system 2 times. Warantee does not cover hardly anything. Extended warantee is a rip off, it covers less than that.

Where to start
By Where to start on 10/15/08 07:20 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my sportage 3 years ago from a dealer, the check engine light was on and they tried to fix it only for it to come back on numerous times. Much later, needed new heater fan. then the head gasket blew and had a new engine fitted.power windows decides to work very slowly not to mention the heater core exploding on the interstate. so apart from it having the power of a horse drawn carriage in mud and not been able to get it into 4WD EVER, Oh the 2 fuel lines rubbed together causing one of them to rupture and making me come to a complete stop in the fast lane. all that is left to say is I liked the color

Intermittent Starting Problem
By intermitten starting on 08/04/08 18:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV

I bought this Kia Sportage SUV with 87,000 miles on it. It did pretty well for 4 years. I replaced the timing chain, clutch wheel, brakes, front end struts and the stick shift broke off. Then it kept intermittently not starting. A mechanic showed me a device just under the dash that the dealer is supposed to remove upon sale. Its to prevent theft at the dealership. It was shorting out after all these years of not being removed. So, Kia owners, look under the dash on the right for the removable plug if your car is intermittently not starting.

Too many issues
By mmattay on 08/01/08 21:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV

For being an older car, it is still fun to drive but I have paid too much for repairs. It has been in the shop numerous times for the check engine light and has never been diagnosed. It accelerates slowly and sometimes the transmission has problems (I forgive this due to age). BOTH the driver and passenger seatbelt have broken. I have also had to replace the soft top and the cd player has never worked correctly. It's hard to fit people in the back seat and also hard to put stuff in the back since the window is attached to the door. Other than that I've had a lot of fun driving it and still get people telling me how 'cute' it is. And I get 21 mpg for mixed highway and city.

Hate it!
By not a fan on 04/03/07 13:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

4WD NEVER worked correctly. Spent over $2000 trying to get it to work. No power. Had to turn off air conditioning to go through the mountains. Passenger side power window sloooow to roll up. Had to replace the motor and cable on the driver's side window. Little things that add up and annoy. Will never own another!!

Very Unsatisfied
By Arizona Heat on 09/29/06 14:29 PM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Kia for a little more than 3 years. At first it was really fun and exciting but within 1 year everything started to fall apart. It was way overpriced for what it is. Do not get a Kia Sportage.

By dan muffett on 03/08/06 10:01 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Kia nearly 4 years ago. I liked the style and the 100,000 mile coverage. Little did I know I would need it constantly. Here are the problems as they occurred: fuse relays out on electrical (both), bracket connecting oil filter defective and replaced, heater blower replaced, door lock replaced, main engine wire loom and fuse box replaced. There is more. Many of the small plastic item in the car have broken with normal use; sun visor clips, blower knob etc.

money sucking little suv
By leannscissorhands on 12/06/05 01:54 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I could not believe that this site had this car rated this high for its consumer ratings. I am on this site doing research to buy a used car to replace this one (something we should have done the moment we paid it off). I cannot express how poorly this vehicle has performed for us the last 5 years. I think we have replaced just about everything but the car itself. We have this year alone spent $1500 to keep the stupid thing running; most recently it was the rear differential that was replaced. That was the last straw for me. I was hoping to drive it for a few more years but with 95,000 miles on it I think it best to just part ways and never buy Kia again.

Dependable
By Jamie on 07/21/05 08:34 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Kia Sportage new in 1999. It has been a great car and is really fun little SUV to drive. I would recommend this vehicle if you want a cheaply priced and dependable car.

a real value
By BillyS on 01/18/05 15:49 PM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

Five years and still happy! Repairs are typical and inexpensive, still runs great, solid, reliable. I bought three yr warranty, wish they had the 10 yr warranty at the time. But, she has served us well.