1999 Kia Sportage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:
Never own a KIA EVER EVER EVER
By gin9 on 03/25/13 11:23 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

My 1999 Kia Sportage hasn't been anything except a total hassle since I bought it used 2 years ago. In the 2 years Ive owned the vehicle Ive had in out of the shop maybe 6 months the whole time. I just had a total overhaul done on it. They rebuilt the engine a new heater core break work YOU NAME IT and it has been done. The mechanic calls me today and tell me that its STILL sputtering and if its to the fuel pump then I am back to square one with this worthless vehicle. Ive put 5 grand into this car hoping everytime I WILL B REPAIRED and its yet to run correctly. I don't know when I will get it back on the roads if EVER.

Owner of a GREAT Sportage!
By krystih1976 on 07/24/12 19:21 PM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my 99 Sportage used in 2005 with 83k miles. Over the past 7+ years of ownership, I can honestly say this - most reliable car I have EVER owned! Only had a few maintenance issues (timing belt @ 125k miles plus gaskets, wires, belts and tires) Today I have 220k miles and still going strong. I will not get rid of it, absolutely a good car/suv and will definitely buy another KIA!

Best First Car!
By tx_shorttcake on 08/18/11 17:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV

I bought this car as my first car a little over three months ago. I am the third owner and two boys attending college had it before me. It is in good shape. I had to replace the brakes and front row seat-belts, but other than that it was in great condition. It had its rattles and noises, but for its age it is fairly quiet.

99 Sportage
By 99 Sportage on 08/01/10 09:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle anticipating some repairs due to its age and miles. I did replace the front hubs with manual hubs which are easy to use. Also, replaced the cat converter. I am averaging 25 mpg but I don't speed. Drove through a few nasty snow storms and it did well. AC and heat work well but radio reception is poor. Easy to park and drive on narrow streets where I live. Gets better mileage than my friends AWD Subaru. Its price was lower than other small SUVs and I believe that I got my moneys worth.

1999 Kia Sportage Ex
By John on 07/14/10 05:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I decided to write a review, after coming across this site. Im the original owner of my sportage that just turned 191,000 miles. It has had usual repairs and maintenance. The only costly repair was the 4x4 hub upgrade. Found out you can install manual hubs cost $120. Other than that it still has the original engine and trans. I get almost 23 mpg with A/C on and averaging 70 mph. Sometimes they build lemons. Other times the repair facilities don't know what they are doing,throwing parts at it. Sorry to hear about the bad sporatges. But I plan on keeping mine until it breaks in half.

Will never buy another Kia...Ever!
By Kia-Hater on 04/23/10 06:59 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with 71k miles thinking the low miles for 10 year old car would be a good thing. The mileage makes no difference when the car itself is such a lemon. Kia engineered the Sportage to have absolutely no pep, no style, cannot make it through 4 inches of snow even with studded snow tires, and gets bad gas mileage. There is no redeeming quality that compensates its weaknesses. I would trade horsepower for gas mileage or for getting through snow. I've owned little cars that handled and went through snow with no problem. It's ridiculous this 4WDR SUV wont go up a small hill on a dirt road with studded snows. I absolutely HATE this car so much that I will never buy another Kia.

Former Kia Sportage Owner
By Allworld on 02/02/10 16:45 PM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

I owned a 1999 Kia Sportage for 18 months until I was hit by a drunk driver two months ago; the car was totaled. I purchased the car with 93,000 miles on it. My thoughts. Although my car was in the shop frequently, I chalked it up to the age of the car. 1.Alternator replaced. 2.Hose replaced leading from gas filler cap to the gas tank. 3.Fan Belts replaced. 4.Tires replaced. 5.Wire replaced under hood leading to starter. 6.A/C duct cleaned twice due to bad smell. 7.Stick shift knob replaced. 8.Electric motors to both rear windows replaced. $300.0 9.Valve cover gasket replaced along with other components $533.00 10.Engine service light was always on; mechanics couldn't fix it

Haven't had it long...
By SSMtn Biker on 12/29/09 09:53 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 2dr SUV 4WD

...but as a gift from my Dad when our second car let loose,the price was definately right. My Dad had it for 3 years (he was the 2nd owner),and used it only in bad weather to go to work,and to tote his garbage trailer around his 47 acres). It will need a top (I found hardtops online for under a grand shipped),there is a crack (that apparently doesn't hurt anything) in the exhaust manifold-making it sound like a "tin-lizzy"-and it has some rust issues (left fender,gas tank,and 2 larger holes in rear fender-wells I'll have to patch),but it has proven reliable for him,and so far has for me. They really hurts acceleration,but it fits 31x10.50" tires w/out mods...I like it so far,cheap&fun :)

DON'T BUY THIS CAR!
By MissF on 04/12/09 19:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

From the day we purchased this vehicle it has been NOTHING but problems. The electrical system, the brakes, the transmission, everything that could go wrong has. I will NEVER, EVER buy a kia again. EVER. Barely at a hundred thousand miles and this car is on it's last leg.

Little car that couldn't
By cstauffer on 01/22/09 21:39 PM (PST)

1999 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

Had to replace the front hubs 4 times and the whole front end once already computer went bad, oil filter holder cracked. Catalytic converter 2 times all the belts 2 times tires get replaced every year. exhaust system 2 times. Warantee does not cover hardly anything. Extended warantee is a rip off, it covers less than that.

1 2 3 4 5 next »