1998 Kia Sportage Consumer Review: Good Value for a 4x4

1998 Kia Sportage - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Good Value for a 4x4
By Joehello on

1998 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought this car I knew I didn't spend $45,000 for a Lexus, $30,000 for an Explorer or even $24,000 for an Escape. When I keep that in perspective, I believe I got a very good car for the money. Has been very reliable, is awesome in 4WD for the bad CT winter weather, has decent ground clearance for off-roading, and gets me from point A to B with minimal fuss every day. Those who complain of a bumpy ride must have thought they were buying a car. This is not a car, this is a small truck, and is built like a truck. I bought this car new to the ridicule of my friends, but would buy another again. You get what you pay for, and I paid for what I needed and have been pleased with this decision.

Favorite Features

Low-range 4WD which is very uncommon in a vehicle in this class. Having a high range 4WD is also much better in deep snow and mud than AWD despite what any salesperson might say.

Suggested Improvements

Had an electrical problem early on which took the dealer 3 tries to fix (under warranty). Annoying, but I have to assume this problem was fixed in newer models.