1998 Kia Sportage Consumer Review: Good Value for a 4x4

1998 Kia Sportage - Consumer Review

1998 Kia Sportage

Base 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Good Value for a 4x4
By Joehello on

1998 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought this car I knew I didn't spend $45,000 for a Lexus, $30,000 for an Explorer or even $24,000 for an Escape. When I keep that in perspective, I believe I got a very good car for the money. Has been very reliable, is awesome in 4WD for the bad CT winter weather, has decent ground clearance for off-roading, and gets me from point A to B with minimal fuss every day. Those who complain of a bumpy ride must have thought they were buying a car. This is not a car, this is a small truck, and is built like a truck. I bought this car new to the ridicule of my friends, but would buy another again. You get what you pay for, and I paid for what I needed and have been pleased with this decision.

Low-range 4WD which is very uncommon in a vehicle in this class. Having a high range 4WD is also much better in deep snow and mud than AWD despite what any salesperson might say.

Had an electrical problem early on which took the dealer 3 tries to fix (under warranty). Annoying, but I have to assume this problem was fixed in newer models.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review